Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hornchurch vs Dulwich Hamlet, 7.45pm, Tues 26th Sept 2023

editor

hiraethified
1695724050309.png

Who's up for a trip to The Bridge, RM14 2LX tonight?

Weirdly, there's no mention of this game on Hamlet's Twitter feed.

Interestingly (if you like timetables and are coming from Brixton, that is) Google Maps suggests a straight Victoria line -> District line to Upminster Bridge taking 1.30 hours, while Citymapper whittles that time down to 66 minutes, but with a veritable flurry of five interchanges.

The club I now usually watch have done this for a while. Regular attendees simply take their cup home and bring it to the next game. I've got one in my 'dog day out' bag, meaning it goes to matches whenever I have a dog with me.

Less regular attendees often leave them behind. I presume they are then re-used at the next match. The club get gates up to just over one thousand and it seems to have worked well with those numbers however they are Step Five so fewer away fans

Over the past season or so it has removed a substantial amount of plastic from waste, which was the main driver behind them doing it

Will be interesting to see how it works, especially at the end when people want to leave, and have to decide between writing off the £1 deposit or queuing up to get it back. Or some other method.

I think it's a great idea. Festivals have been doing it for years.

I think they are great too but an extra quid on a pint that you can't easily get back just makes a round that bit more expensive. Sounds like there are plenty of ways to adjust behaviour to get round it. We must go through close to 10k disposable plastic cups on some home match days.

I was at AFC Wimbledon last week and they were free (or priced in. A pint was 6.20 from memory).

I suspect Don's are able to source plastic glasses a lot cheaper than the Urchins, given volumes.

Hopefully, as they become more common, clubs will agree to allow away fans to use appropriately lined plastic pints from their own club. Not much different from my dog bag also containing a resumable water bottle for me and one for the dog.

I know it's been said on here Hamlet were looking at reusable pints. If they are getting through the sort of volume of disposable cups mentioned, I hope a similar scheme will be forthcoming at the Hill sooner rather than later.

Back to the football, 36 mins on the District line from Whitechapel and a short stroll to the ground, can't really complain about that.

I think I've been three times and we've lost every one. Hopefully tonight's the night to rectify that, but they are in a great run of form and scoring loads of goals.

Plenty of ex hamlet players on display, inc Liam Nash and Ade Yusuff.

I suspect Don's are able to source plastic glasses a lot cheaper than the Urchins, given volumes.

Hopefully, as they become more common, clubs will agree to allow away fans to use appropriately lined plastic pints from their own club. Not much different from my dog bag also containing a resumable water bottle for me and one for the dog.

I know it's been said on here Hamlet were looking at reusable pints. If they are getting through the sort of volume of disposable cups mentioned, I hope a similar scheme will be forthcoming at the Hill sooner rather than later.
Potential market in slightly-bigger-than-a-pint “pint” glasses here for fans of getting a bit extra. Like Partridge’s plate scam.

Yep, me too. Away crowds have been quite subdued of late, but off the back of a win and easy enough travel im hoping there will be a few of us.

Also no radio tonight

Will be interesting to see how it works, especially at the end when people want to leave, and have to decide between writing off the £1 deposit or queuing up to get it back. Or some other method.

Seem to recall Dulwich did this a few years back. Make them collectible and some people will happily part with a quid.

Ended 2-1 and we could have snatched a draw at the end.

Hornchurch go top so not a disgrace in the grand scheme of things.

We looked much better with Clifton on for Mills. Shame Dougui didn't play, injured apparently..

Very small old school away support. Unsurprising given recent form I guess, but not tricky or expensive to get to.

We had something of a flourish after we got one back but some awful finishing ensured that the equaliser was not to be.
Apart from the flourish and Luke, we were terrible overall imo. The passes either went astray, sailing through the air or the recipient fluffed it. We seem pedestrian compared to opposition speed and determination. Forget promotion, pray that we avoid relegation.

Apart from the flourish and Luke, we were terrible overall imo. The passes either went astray, sailing through the air or the recipient fluffed it. We seem pedestrian compared to opposition speed and determination. Forget promotion, pray that we avoid relegation.
On recent performances we're exactly where we deserve to be: lurking around the relegation zone. What summed up the team for me was they way they lazily sauntered back on to the pitch at half time. Zero energy, spark or passion. Pathetic.

That first goal just seemed to happen in slow motion, not a meaningful tackle in that entire move. Rather reminded me of a training match with the first team playing the development squad.

A pretty even contest over the final 80 mins. Infortunately the game felt over after 10. Yes we did get back in it but never felt we were going to equalise. Our best chance was with the freekick right at the end of the game which is shown in their highlights ....Did we try a shot or send in a cross. No tried a complicated interplay which predictably failed.

What i could make out from the game ( not easy
as you are miles from the action whereever yoi are.) was that Hornchurch came out fired up while we looked to play our way in. Unfortnately our defence cant deal with intensity. Great finish for the 2nd goal but you can see from the highlights no tight marking , being on the wrong side. Pretty much all season. I would try Gyebi instead of Chambers. The latter is too slow and also prone to errors in my opinion.

After those 10 mins as said before it was an even game but never felt we would score. We did out of the blue from a corner but they dealt with us quite easily before and after that.

I also think we have missed a trick not getting on loans from local clubs rather than many from our level or below. For example, I see Potters Bar new loanee got a quick fire hatrick yesterday

As a final point I felt sorry for the Hornchurch fans . What an awful stadium . I did go the FA Trophy game a few years ago but i forgot how bad it was as a viewing experience

As a final point I felt sorry for the Hornchurch fans . What an awful stadium . I did go the FA Trophy game a few years ago but i forgot how bad it was as a viewing experience
Sadly I couldn't go last night despite being Essex based, but I used to go to a nearby secondary and we had our sports days there. Even the running track was in bad shape back then - only outdone by Chelmsfords track.

Anyhow... if we remove wider context of (understandable and fair) expectations losing 2-1 vs league leaders isn't too bad a result maybe? Admittedly grasping at straws and semblance of hope of improvement...

Long range photos here

In photos: Another lacklustre performance sees Dulwich Hamlet lose 1-2 at Hornchurch FC, Tues, 26th Sept 2023

In photos: Another lacklustre performance sees Dulwich Hamlet lose 1-2 at Hornchurch FC, Tues, 26th Sept 2023

More: In photos: Another dull and lacklustre performance sees Dulwich Hamlet lose 1-2 at Hornchurch FC, Tues, 26th Sept 2023

Back
Top Bottom