Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

FA Cup replay: Haringey Borough vs Dulwich Hamlet, Tues 5th Sept 2023

Ooh Panini stickers!!

Paul Hawksbee (Talksport) tells a story of when he was at Chelsea regarding their annual calendar. Those in the know would tell them who not to include as they would not be at the club the following season!
This may appeal to a certain age group. Got it as a Christmas present year before last I think. Had completely forgotten Scotland players got half sized stickers!

The directive for the last few years has been to teach players to play out from the back, which you see in all the top four tiers.
Don’t know about Dulwich but at Clapton CFC we’re aiming to do that all the time. Indeed I don’t think I played one long kick from the back in our opening league game the other week. I have two excellent centre halves in front of me and some incredibly speedy wing backs so it works regularly for us. As it seems to be said a lot in comments on here, the apparent lack of pace in the squad probably precludes the team being able to play out?

Oh, I'm not trying to cause any Hoo Haa

I'm just genuinely interested that all grass roots kids football coaches have to have a Level 1 badge to coach, and that Premier League coaches have to have a Level 5.

But maybe there is gap in between.

And surely DH are bound in some part by the FA, as they are affiliated?

I'm just genuinely interested.

Surely the manager can instruct his team to play any way he wants? I'm not aware of any clubs being "bound" by the FA to play in a particular way.

If anything, it seems to me that if every other team was playing out from the back, a good coach would look for a way to exploit that by doing something completely different. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing at all wrong with playing direct or long-ball football, as long as you get results from it.

Surely the manager can instruct his team to play any way he wants? I'm not aware of any clubs being "bound" by the FA to play in a particular way.

If anything, it seems to me that if every other team was playing out from the back, a good coach would look for a way to exploit that by doing something completely different. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing at all wrong with playing direct or long-ball football, as long as you get results from it.
Hamlet strategy: hoof it up high in the hope that Mills can somehow score on his own. Or immediately lose possession.
It's almost always the latter.

Hamlet strategy: hoof it up high in the hope that Mills can somehow score on his own. Or immediately lose possession.
It's almost always the latter.
Lose possession, get cut open by 1 or 2 passes, speedy attacker through on goal with slow defenders chasing them down unsuccessfully and score… and repeat

Oh, I'm not trying to cause any Hoo Haa

I'm just genuinely interested that all grass roots kids football coaches have to have a Level 1 badge to coach, and that Premier League coaches have to have a Level 5.

But maybe there is gap in between.

And surely DH are bound in some part by the FA, as they are affiliated?

I'm just genuinely interested.
The FA can make its plans clear but that is to benefit the England team. It’s not a directive and if you watch any game from League 2 down you’ll find that getting it forward is king.

Sample size of two home games but… From my recollection every goal kick has been kicked long usually to the touch line.

Get it upfield and to not the middle of the pitch, in other words.

Fucking inspiring.

There will be no worries about style when results come. In answer to the question about other Hak teams, they have been resilient mixed with a few flair players but usually pretty strong defensively. In Terry we have one of the most successful coaches of many years. I am told training sessions look nothing like games we see so maybe the absence of divisive squad members will herald a new era of success.

Unless fighting relegation, style matters very much to me. I come to watch the good football we played in our 10(?) good years under Gav. Hoofing the ball through the air holds no appeal and I suspect will affect levels of support.

Unless fighting relegation, style matters very much to me. I come to watch the good football we played in our 10(?) good years under Gav. Hoofing the ball through the air holds no appeal and I suspect will affect levels of support.
On Tuesday night the shit football just sucked the energy out of the Hamlet crowd.

For the better part of two years there’s been very little to actually support. The Canvey game and subsequent reaction shows how desperate people are for some respite. Similarly the undefeated month under Barnes.

That people are still going in such numbers and trying to support what we’re being given on the pitch is pretty remarkable.

I am told training sessions look nothing like games we see so maybe the absence of divisive squad members will herald a new era of success.
An interesting comment there. Are you saying that “divisive squad members” have been recruited that should already be disposed of? Goes without saying that training sessions will look different to actual games, something that’s often the case if a team has not accounted for the playing style of the opposition.

My ill-informed view from the terrace is that Hak needs to decide his best team, and tell them that they are guaranteed to start the next 4 games barring injuries.

Our next competitive game is away at Erith Town in the cup a week today, is that right? And a friendly at Hendon on Saturday lunchtime?

Back
Top Bottom