Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

FA Cup replay: Haringey Borough vs Dulwich Hamlet, Tues 5th Sept 2023

its seems Dulwich and Cup dont seem to really go together in modern times
Or ever really.

The reason the club used to get to the First Round a lot was they were given an exemption to final qualifying for years, simply for being Hamlet. When it was removed in the early 50's the club refused to enter in protest, pretending it was due to concern about over exerting the players. Something they mysteriously didn't care about when they entered the following season...

To have had exemption to the final qualifying round and never get past Round One means the cup record was pretty awful them.too.

Or ever really.

The reason the club used to get to the First Round a lot was they were given an exemption to final qualifying for years, simply for being Hamlet. When it was removed in the early 50's the club refused to enter in protest, pretending it was due to concern about over exerting the players. Something they mysteriously didn't care about when they entered the following season...

To have had exemption to the final qualifying round and never get past Round One means the cup record was pretty awful them.too.

Well that's a fascinating fact that I never knew. Were other "big" amateur teams given the same exemption?

Well that's a fascinating fact that I never knew. Were other "big" amateur teams given the same exemption?
"Big" non-league teams still get an exemption to the 4th Qualifying Round but they all play in the National Division now instead of being divided between various regional leagues.

It wasn't so much "big" teams in the past, it was teams who had performed well in the league or FA Cup in recent seasons. Half a dozen or so clubs from each of the main regional leagues (Southern, NPL, Isthmian, Northern) were given exemptions until the 4th Qualifying Round. When the Conference was formed in 1979 most, but not all, of those exemptions went to those clubs and just a few lower league clubs received one. This system of rather random exemptions from all but the final qualifying round endured until the 1990s, when all the exemptions were given to the 24 Conference/National Division clubs instead, and everyone else entered at a stage according to league status.

The first time Hamlet ever won more than one match to reach the 1st Round was 1998.

If I hadn't been stricken by the same defeatist malaise that seem to have affected everyone Hamlet-related on the night, I wanted to shout at the players: THIS IS THE FUCKING FA CUP FFS. THE FA CUP! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?

But instead I mumbled to myself and quietly moaned at anyone within earshot.

We've been crap, largely, since we got promoted. It seems like we're cursed. Or maybe we did a deal with the devil at the roundabout.

I got the roundabout blues this mornin', Lord, baby, I'm sinkin' down.
For me the real decline has been since the 5-2 win at home against Ebbsfleet at the start of December 2021. Between promotion and that game there were ups and downs and the enjoyment factor had certainly reduced, but there were still enough glimpses of what had gone before.

Since that game and going off a quick tot up of FWP stats we've played 85 games in all competitions, winning 22 (26%), drawing 19 (22%) and losing 44 (52%). Winning a touch over a quarter of the games over a period of not far off two years is shocking, as is losing over half.

Over the three managers we've had in that time their results breakdown as follows:

Rose: P34, W6 (18%), D10 (29%), L18 (53%)
Barnes: P31, W11 (35%), D3 (10%), L17 (55%)
Hayrettin: P20, W5 (25%), D6 (30%), L9 (45%)

The floodlights were weedy things so not my best photos, not helped by the shiny, shiny nasty 3G grass.

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet out of the FA Cup after lamentable performance at Haringey Borough, Tues 5th Sept 2023

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet out of the FA Cup after lamentable performance at Haringey Borough, Tues 5th Sept 2023

The Bell End, classic
They totally and completely outsung the Hamlet fans from start to finish. Some good songs and humour too. And I liked the annoying school bell.

Back in the day, Hamlet fans were well aware of the comedy/annoyance/distraction value of clattering noises, with my favourite being the trio of cowbells at Kingstonian away. Damn, I miss those days :(

Kingstonian FC 2 Dulwich Hamlet 1, Kingsmeadow Stadium Jack Goodchild Way, 422a Kingston Road Kingston upon Thames Surrey,  Sunday 15th January 2014

Kingstonian FC 2 Dulwich Hamlet 1, Kingsmeadow Stadium Jack Goodchild Way, 422a Kingston Road Kingston upon Thames Surrey,  Sunday 15th January 2014

Just dismal. The team were outplayed, the fans totally outsung and everything about tonight was like a pale shadow of the Hamlet I knew and loved.
The passion has disappeared on and off the pitch. Awful.

For me, the annoying thing is this has been coming for so long.

Would just take a few years at this level. Get the stadium built do enough to survive and direct a proportion of the revenue into building a u21 team/academy. Let the success come organically

No point chucking what money we do have at the first team directly if the right people aren't managing it properly

I haven't watched Hamlet (I'm in Tonbridge), but has the new boss got them playing out from the back as per the FA DNA plan?

I'm assuming he has badges, so he should be teaching that.

Thats odd then.

I have a friend who works in the FA and is part of the Football Intelligence team. The directive for the last few years has been to teach players to play out from the back, which you see in all the top four tiers.

And the youth and grass roots football is taught the same. I coached kids football for seven years and we were taught how to teach that.

So, if your boss isn't doing that, why?

(trivia - said friend also gets the say in who to make Panini stickers of for the new season because the FA know who will most likely break through)

Thats odd then.

I have a friend who works in the FA and is part of the Football Intelligence team. The directive for the last few years has been to teach players to play out from the back, which you see in all the top four tiers.

And the youth and grass roots football is taught the same. I coached kids football for seven years and we were taught how to teach that.

(trivia - said friend also gets the say in who to make Panini stickers of for the new season because the FA know who will most likely break through)

Because he's not bound by the FA's tactics. Playing out from the back at non league is suicide.

You'd work with what suits the players ????

Oh, I'm not trying to cause any Hoo Haa

I'm just genuinely interested that all grass roots kids football coaches have to have a Level 1 badge to coach, and that Premier League coaches have to have a Level 5.

But maybe there is gap in between.

And surely DH are bound in some part by the FA, as they are affiliated?

I'm just genuinely interested.

Thats odd then.

Ooh Panini stickers!!

Paul Hawksbee (Talksport) tells a story of when he was at Chelsea regarding their annual calendar. Those in the know would tell them who not to include as they would not be at the club the following season!

Back
Top Bottom