Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Home schooling material

HAL9000

Apologies if there's a thread that already covers this topic. (Merge this info as requried)

I came across this PBS material I don't know how useful it is. (PBS is equivalent of the bbc in the USA)

Flying over Saturn's rings

Size of the solar system, it says to pick any US city. Ignore that, I tried London, select London uk, set the units to cm and that worked. You need to set the size of the sun, then you can see how far away other stuff is, example

set the sun to 10000 cm
&
the orbit of Neptune is near paris

Here in the UK at least, schools have been keen to point out that we're not "home-schooling" - they continue to be the provider of education, albeit over email and assigned tasks rather than in-person. Parents shouldn't feel that they have to take responsibility for delivering their children's education, only encouraging them to continue to do their school work from home.

Apologies if there's a thread that already covers this topic. (Merge this info as requried)

I came across this PBS material I don't know how useful it is. (PBS is equivalent of the bbc in the USA)

Flying over Saturn's rings

Size of the solar system, it says to pick any US city. Ignore that, I tried London, select London uk, set the units to cm and that worked. You need to set the size of the sun, then you can see how far away other stuff is, example

set the sun to 10000 cm
&
the orbit of Neptune is near paris

I remember doing it with a calculator from home if the Sun was the size of a football. Pluto was hundreds of miles away.

Back
Top Bottom