Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy Ricardo Flores Magon year, everyone!

hitmouse

so defeated, thinks it's funny
Saw this:
And thought, huh, is the Mexican government really doing a year in celebration of Flores Magon? And apparently they are:

Are there any other anarchists who are that exalted by the governments of "their" countries? I suppose Louise Michel is quite a big deal in France, and Makhno likewise in Ukraine. Maybe some of the Koreans but I dunno much about them... any others?

Saw this:
And thought, huh, is the Mexican government really doing a year in celebration of Flores Magon? And apparently they are:

Are there any other anarchists who are that exalted by the governments of "their" countries? I suppose Louise Michel is quite a big deal in France, and Makhno likewise in Ukraine. Maybe some of the Koreans but I dunno much about them... any others?
Unfortunately Makhno seems to have been completely appropriated by Ukrainian nationalists - despite him having personally shot atleast one nationalist leader and fighting against such people. He is now on bank notes and there is a Nestor Makhno financial award I believe. Not what he would have wanted at all :(

Last edited:
There was some stuff in the USSR named after Kropotkin (a metro station atleast), don't know if that really counts though. I think that's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:
Saw this:

there are a peter and a painter house near sidney street

Last edited:
As far as the Koreans go, I suppose there's Kim Chwa-Chin:

As a leader of the Korean independence movement, Kim is remembered in both North and South Korea. In 1991, the town of Hongseong restored his birthplace. A festival is now held in his honor every October
In passing, I love his last words, which sound like an incredibly relaxed response to getting assassinated:
Just before he died, Kim Jwa-jin said, “What to do… I have to die at this time with so much work to do. How regrettable...”
Dunno much else about that subject though... wow, Chwa-Chin/Jwa-jin's kid sounds like a memorable character, but also a right dick:

If you include Emiliano Zapata, and why not, then Mexico are quite protective of his memory as well, even having him on their bank notes at times.

Magon:
The Return of Comrade Ricardo Flores Magón - Zone Books
(reviewed here The Return of Comrade Ricardo Flores Magón by Claudio Lomnitz [Book review] "The ‘return’ of the title refers to the return of his body to Mexico, where the eventually he and his brothers were converted into anti-Díaz ‘precursors’ of the revolution. But it also refers to Lomnitz’s own project of looking at these rebel lives as they unfolded, and not as safe, static icons.")
That review of the book is very positive. Personally I found it really difficult to read and far more concerned about the personalities of some individuals than their policies and what occurred outside their own small circle.

Ah yeah, I think I've been vaguely meaning to read it since seeing that review, although the to-read list is always a long one.

Just learned that Sergey/Serhiy Kemsky is another for the "posthumous national heros" list:

Mexico's a self-consciously revolutionary society. Rivera murals glorifying Lenin adorn the National Palace, and there's roads and metro stations named after Magon in every city:

1699036084896.png

Magon:
The Return of Comrade Ricardo Flores Magón - Zone Books
(reviewed here The Return of Comrade Ricardo Flores Magón by Claudio Lomnitz [Book review] "The ‘return’ of the title refers to the return of his body to Mexico, where the eventually he and his brothers were converted into anti-Díaz ‘precursors’ of the revolution. But it also refers to Lomnitz’s own project of looking at these rebel lives as they unfolded, and not as safe, static icons.")
Have now started reading this!

Back
Top Bottom