Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paganism (happy...solstice?)

Well...it matters that you understand what paganism is surely?
Why can't I appreciate aspects of paganism? Farming is in my family history, as far as I know none of them were pagans. I'm not a pagan. I am interested in a very basic way.

Just so I understand are with talking about modern paganism or historical paganism?
Historically Druids made human sacrifice I doubt this is part of modern paganism & does modern paganism still have druids?
Which gods do modern pagans still believe in?
Thanks in advance.

Just so I understand are with talking about modern paganism or historical paganism?
Historically Druids made human sacrifice I doubt this is part of modern paganism & does modern paganism still have druids?
Which gods do modern pagans still believe in?
Thanks in advance.
Not a fucking clue! 🤣 I'm sure proper pagans have it figured out 👍

Ah, I might be fairly open to the idea of paganism, while being very uncomfortable with the requirement for creeds and doctrines and rules (and heresy for those who fail to adhere to these) along with the apparent need for mediation between supreme being(s) which must be directed by a hierarchy of priests, shamans, rabbis, emirs and so on. I think many people (on here) are also unhappy with the negative, exclusive aspects of religion. I don't think there is a clear distinction between science and religion and often find myself acting purely on faith (although it is always easy to find a billion sources of confirmation for just about any position you care to take).
I do find myself thinking about life-forces and ineffable stuff like consciousness...but usually as a kind of rights based thing where humans are not the apex species we fondly imagine ourselves to be...although without having a belief in a numinous higher power either.(god). And once I start thinking about ethics and morality and shit, it all gets very confusing.

For me I'm a atheist, but (I guess) some more basic part of my brain would like to believe in something, but there is nothing.
So if I had to believe, then some kind of nature worship is at least worshipping/believing in something that exists and being friendly to nature is good for all society as well as not done harm to others.

I hope this makes some kind of sense, I'm finding it difficult to express exactly what I mean.

For me I'm a atheist, but (I guess) some more basic part of my brain would like to believe in something, but there is nothing.
So if I had to believe, then some kind of nature worship is at least worshipping/believing in something that exists and being friendly to nature is good for all society as well as not done harm to others.

I hope this makes some kind of sense, I'm finding it difficult to express exactly what I mean.
believe what you want to. You can't be wrong however I hope it does not include human sacrifice. :thumbs:

That makes perfect sense to me!

I suggest Tengrism.

The rite of the Yellow Man, lesser known drunken brother of the Green Man.

(though apparently the Green Man folklore was made up by a British aristocrat in 1939)
According to teh Wiki Green Man - Wikipedia that iconography goes way back

But it appears to be named 'The Green Man' in 1939

Julia, Lady Raglan applied the term "Green Man" to this type of architectural feature in her 1939 article "The Green Man in Church Architecture" in The Folklore Journal.[4] It is thought that her interest stemmed from carvings at St. Jerome's Church in Llangwm, Monmouthshire.[5]

If people feel awe at something like the procession of the seasons, well fair enough, but it would be nice if there was a more widespread understanding of why there are seasons. I suspect most of the Great British Public will have the wrong idea - most MPs can't even work out very simple probabilities, according to some recent survey.

Why can't I appreciate aspects of paganism? Farming is in my family history, as far as I know none of them were pagans. I'm not a pagan. I am interested in a very basic way.

In that case, plough the field, plant a few pagan seeds and come harvest, you'll have a bunch of ripe and ready pagans

Is it possible to have a safe space to talk about pagany stuff without people taking the piss?
What do you want to discuss? Gods and goddesses - which ones are the true ones? Are they literal entities or psychological constructs that exist only in the human psyche? Is there one life force that imbues everything in the universe or are there specific spirits that inhabit various features in the natural world?

These are great topics for ongoing discussion as there are differing views amongst modern neo-pagans and there are no definitive authorities to refer to for a correct answer. Debate could run and run.

I might be fairly open to the idea of paganism, while being very uncomfortable with the requirement for creeds and doctrines and rules (and heresy for those who fail to adhere to these) along with the apparent need for mediation between supreme being(s) which must be directed by a hierarchy of priests, shamans, rabbis, emirs and so on
Nah, you're all good for this. Since there was never one pagan belief to start with and modern paganism is a pick'n'mix mishmash of various interpretations of ancient pagan beliefs there can't be a creed or doctrine that you have to follow. You can choose to believe whatever you want. And it's not hierarchical - the only authority figures are either people who just happen to know loads, like a Jedi who can rattle off every reference to their religion from Caravan of Courage to the Rebels cartoons, or self appointed shaman who get off on the power trip and no doubt have special rituals for any young women who come into their orbit. If you don't like the ones you happen across you can find others, or start your own branch.

If people feel awe at something like the procession of the seasons, well fair enough, but it would be nice if there was a more widespread understanding of why there are seasons. I suspect most of the Great British Public will have the wrong idea
Most people think there are seasons because the earth is tilted on its axis relative to the solar plane. Is that not right?

Surveys of US students have found most think the seasons are due to Earth"s supposedly very elliptical orbit!

One of the probability questions for MPs was: you toss a coin twice and both times it comes up heads. What are the odds of that happening by chance?

Absolutely off topic, with apologies, but your avatar of the Happy Eater badge smacks me in the face with nostalgia. There was one near us where I grew up and we frequently passed by it and sometimes ate in it. Childhood memories innit.

Ta.

Back to the studio.

Back
Top Bottom