Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paganism (happy...solstice?)

I think that's probably a little unfair on the Celts... I mean that's a thousand odd years of history you're generalising there. And we don't know much about the people who came before either.

The Celts have their origins in the Hallstatts of central Europe who were pretty egalitarian judging by their graves until they started trading iron, and then developed a class system with great wealth inequalities. The degree to which they've been romanticised by pagans and Welsh/Scottish nationalists etc is pretty funny, especially as there's great uncertainty as to whether iron age Brits were actually Celts at all or just learnt the lingo.

pagans are boring / uncool / mundane people in real life - stereotypical "Brian from accounts"
Funnily enough I once ended up at Thornborough Henge at solstice and got absolutely off my box with some mates on liquid acid and woke up in the morning to find we'd mistakenly pitched our tent in the middle of the henge and were now surrounded by other tents selling crystals and stuff. The first person to stick their head in my tent to see what we were selling was the relentlessly cheery but dim Carol from work, dressed in her pagan gear, somewhat surprised to find two semi naked and deranged looking men. Later a handfasting took place around us while we cowered in the tent fearful of being sacrificed if we emerged.

Is it possible to have a safe space to talk about pagany stuff without people taking the piss? Shall I start a new thread? This thread is really starting to get to me.

I have no issue at all with having a sense of spirituality connected to the natural world and cycles of the seasons, but the way 'paganism' tends to present itself with daft rituals is just ripe for piss taking.

But apologies for my anecdote interrupting your sacred space.

I have no issue at all with having a sense of spirituality connected to the natural world and cycles of the seasons, but the way 'paganism' tends to present itself with daft rituals is just ripe for piss taking.

But apologies for my anecdote interrupting your sacred space.
tbh Religion is just ripe for piss take

not sure why your starting a row with pagans

What would be nice is if other people with a passing interest in it would be able to talk about it without piss-taking people laughing at them.

OK, I'll go, if I was religious, I would probably be Pagan, I like the 'Do nothing that would harm others' and revering nature. I'm atheist as I cannot see how it can be any other way, but I would like there by something else and Paganism would fit my world view. But also there is too much woo and wave the crystal around bollocks.

OK, I'll go, if I was religious, I would probably be Pagan, I like the 'Do nothing that would harm others' and revering nature. I'm atheist as I cannot see how it can be any other way, but I would like there by something else and Paganism would fit my world view. But also there is too much woo and wave the crystal around bollocks.
I agree! I'm a badge carrying atheist. I'm recently drawn to paganism in a very light way, I don't want to do sky clad rituals and whatnot, I just like the basic observing the seasons properly, unlike the newer religions mug us off with.
Thank you for your post! ❤️

I've not done a lot of research about paganism in the past, but neo-paganism seems to be about a personal relationship with 'The other' unlike a lot of religions where, it's a from of control and some of the passages in the Bible are quite unacceptable in the modern age.

I've not done a lot of research about paganism in the past, but neo-paganism seems to be about a personal relationship with 'The other' unlike a lot of religions where, it's a from of control and some of the passages in the Bible are quite unacceptable in the modern age.
Surely described like that is no different to other 'personal' forms of spirituality that are popular, eg varieties of western Buddhism, new agey woo, and as such they fit well with our individualised culture, but perhaps miss some of the genuine positives of religion, such as a collective community / supporting people in need?

I agree! I'm a badge carrying atheist. I'm recently drawn to paganism in a very light way, I don't want to do sky clad rituals and whatnot, I just like the basic observing the seasons properly, unlike the newer religions mug us off with.
Thank you for your post! ❤️

Farmers observe seasons.
You dont have to be pagan to watch the seasons and follow the moon...etc..

Back
Top Bottom