Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gulf of Mexico oil spill

I love it that Hayward's been asked to consult by a Russian company

'Hey, Mr hayward, come work for us. We give you nice dacha on Black Sea. No worries about health and safety.'

I see BP have just announced the biggest losses ever recorded for a british company (even if they aren't really one).

I can't say I'm weeping here.

With his severance package and pension Tony Hayward could become another oligarch to go with the ones they already have in Russia. Gas is probably what it is all about, I suspect. We buy a lot of gas from the Ruskies and so does half of Europe.

I see BP have just announced the biggest losses ever recorded for a british company (even if they aren't really one).

I can't say I'm weeping here.

That is quarterly losses for this year. By the end of the year, having sold off some of their assets to raise money for compensation, BP will probably go back to making a profit again. They have long since begun to look at alternative energy sources and the shortage of oil will just mean that they make their money through whatever it takes to provide energy.

According to what it said on radio 4 this morning, Hayward is going to be sent to Siberia. It sounds like a harsh punishment but really he will be overseeing the work of a Russian oil company that is in partnership with BP. The story should give the Americans some satisfaction. They think that BP is still a British company even though they own about 40% of the multinational.

Americans really don't give a damn who owns the company.

According to what it said on radio 4 this morning, Hayward is going to be sent to Siberia. It sounds like a harsh punishment but really he will be overseeing the work of a Russian oil company that is in partnership with BP. The story should give the Americans some satisfaction. They think that BP is still a British company even though they own about 40% of the multinational.

We don't give a shit who owns it. In fact, it doesn't matter who owns it. I own part of it, FFS, and I still want them to fix it and fix it right. I'm a bit disgusted with the comments I see in British newspapers. They sound exactly like the apologists for Bhopal did. It was disgusting then, it was disgusting on a continual basis, and its disgusting now.

It's the US press & politicians who've turned it into some kind of US vs. British thing by endlessly referencing and emphasising British Petroleum, while failing to keep their own house in order ($8bn Exxon Valdez settlement still not paid, and still under appeal by Exxon).

Perhaps if the US press and politcians had not attempted to paint the situation in those terms, perhaps the UK press wouldn't have responded in quite such a chauvanistic fashion. And of course, if the US actually had an honourable record on this kind of thing the howls might have carried more moral weight.

I've not seen anything that blames the British, except for Obama miscalling it "British" Petroleum once. You're being too sensitive. We get called worse every day. It looks from the outside like you'all are much more nationalistic than you would ever admit.

Actually, that claim is nothing new. It's been around since they were thinking of sending the Lockerbie bomber back. Resentment over that has been simmering for a while now. Did you'all think it would go away quietly?

It may have been but it coming to prominence now is gotta be intentionally linked to the spill. Personally I don't care, its your power elite playing games with our power elite. But they are playing games, that much is sure.

Of course, they play games back and forth. Unfortunately, it's people like the ones at Bhopal and the people who live on the gulf that pay the price.

get yer facepalms at the ready.......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38429966/ns/us_news-environment/

Adding insult to the Gulf's injury, a wellhead hit by a tug boat is now spewing oil near a Louisiana marsh area, officials said Tuesday.

The oil is shooting up 20 feet into the air, the office of Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said.

The well is in inland waterways on the border of Plaquemines and Jefferson parishes, about 65 miles south of New Orleans; it's marsh area not accessible by road.

Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts was quoted as saying by WWL-TV in New Orleans that "there is a pretty good amount of oil flowing there." He did not have a more specific estimate.

Jefferson Parish officials said emergency crews were at the site assessing how to deal with the spill.

They added that the tug boat hit the well before dawn. The tug boat captain immediately notified officials, and another boat later called in the leak.

:facepalm:
*shakes head*

It's the US press & politicians who've turned it into some kind of US vs. British thing by endlessly referencing and emphasising British Petroleum, while failing to keep their own house in order ($8bn Exxon Valdez settlement still not paid, and still under appeal by Exxon).

Perhaps if the US press and politcians had not attempted to paint the situation in those terms, perhaps the UK press wouldn't have responded in quite such a chauvanistic fashion. And of course, if the US actually had an honourable record on this kind of thing the howls might have carried more moral weight.

lol It was the British press that turned it into a US vs British thing. That came about with Tony's playing the victim routine in Washington.

Cunt isn't even in power anymore and he is still fucking things up.

I don't get why any section of our press would want to defend the honour of BP- they had no honour when routinely fucking with iranian politics to keep puppets in place and steal their oil for chump change (I think they were called something else then but became BP later). This whole diplomatic beef is so ridden with hypocrisy on both sides you wonder how any of them keep a straight face.

Matt Simmons toasted

I'll put my hands up and say I took Matt Simmons seriously in the earlier phase of this - he has swum against the current of conventional wisdom for years and been right about many things in the past.

I parted company over his claim that the well head was blown off catastrophically and now lies several miles from the actual well - it is easy to verify by GPS where it is, and impossible to cover up with that number of third parties involved.

Anyway, A critical examination of Matt Simmons’ claims on the Deepwater spill over at Energy Bulletin rips him apart, with some of the commentary wondering if he was ill and that this might account for him going mad. Sad for him, and sad for the peak oil message that he is identified with.

Hmm. There's an awful lot there that more than a few commentators have taken as truth (the bpd leakage for example), on the basis of his pre-existing credibility. Whoops.

Air quality in gulf region is way above levels safe for humans to breathe.
http://www.southernstudies.org/2010...man-health-threats-from-the-oil-disaster.html

The media coverage of the BP oil disaster to date has focused largely on the threats to wildlife, but the latest evaluation of air monitoring data shows a serious threat to human health from airborne chemicals emitted by the ongoing deepwater gusher.
Today the Louisiana Environmental Action Network released its analysis of air monitoring test results by the Environmental Protection Agency. The EPA's air testing data comes from Venice, a coastal community 75 miles south of New Orleans in Louisiana's Plaquemines Parish.

The findings show that levels of airborne chemicals have far exceeded state standards and what's considered safe for human exposure.

For instance, hydrogen sulfide has been detected at concentrations more than 100 times greater than the level known to cause physical reactions in people. Among the health effects of hydrogen sulfide exposure are eye and respiratory irritation as well as nausea, dizziness, confusion and headache.

The concentration threshold for people to experience physical symptoms from hydrogen sulfide is about 5 to 10 parts per billion. But as recently as last Thursday, the EPA measured levels at 1,000 ppb. The highest levels of airborne hydrogen sulfide measured so far were on May 3, at 1,192 ppb.

Testing data also shows levels of volatile organic chemicals that far exceed Louisiana's own ambient air standards. VOCs cause acute physical health symptoms including eye, skin and respiratory irritation as well as headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea and confusion.

Louisiana's ambient air standard for the VOC benzene, for example, is 3.76 ppb, while its standard for methylene chloride is 61.25 ppb. Long-term exposure to airborne benzene has been linked to cancer, while the EPA considers methylene chloride a probable carcinogen.

Air testing results show VOC concentrations far above these state standards. On May 6, for example, the EPA measured VOCs at levels of 483 ppb. The highest levels detected to date were on April 30, at 3,084 ppb, following by May 2, at 3,416 ppb.

yeah, the guy on the video is a little "exited" shall we say. But I reckon he's got good reason to be. That sure doesn't look like a camera tilt to me, nor does it look like silt rising. It does look like silt rising after the sea floor drops, but that's becasue of the movement of the seabed. (from my POV) It even moves up the arm of the ROV, whoch is stationary to the camera. There are a few videos floating about, which show large gas leaks from the sea floor, so a large gas bubble doing this isn't outside the realms of possibilities. Sure, it's outisde the realm of what BP are going to tell us, but they're not exactly a reputable source for this at the moment. :D

Right, so err, it's being reported that they think this go at stopping the gusher has worked. Bets on that BP are talking shit?

yeah, the guy on the video is a little "exited" shall we say. But I reckon he's got good reason to be. That sure doesn't look like a camera tilt to me, nor does it look like silt rising. It does look like silt rising after the sea floor drops, but that's becasue of the movement of the seabed. (from my POV) It even moves up the arm of the ROV, whoch is stationary to the camera. There are a few videos floating about, which show large gas leaks from the sea floor, so a large gas bubble doing this isn't outside the realms of possibilities. Sure, it's outisde the realm of what BP are going to tell us, but they're not exactly a reputable source for this at the moment. :D
The sea bed doesn't drop, the ROV is moving upwards back end first, as it tilts forward the seabed looks like it is rising.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom