Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gulf of Mexico oil spill

Right, so err, it's being reported that they think this go at stopping the gusher has worked. Bets on that BP are talking shit?

They're reporting here that 74% of the oil has been cleaned up. I'm sorry, but a spill that's 19 times larger than Exxon Valdiz gets cleaned up in weeks? They're still seeing effects of that spill even now. Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical....

Every day I see more shit on the news that I simply don't believe (and it's not just stories about the oil spill).

74% cleaned up :D lolz
You're going in the right direction re not believing the news. Definatly a good move. Source your own news.

The sea bed doesn't drop, the ROV is moving upwards back end first, as it tilts forward the seabed looks like it is rising.
After watching it again, you're right. It's going down with the arm going in the seabed. *must.stop.watching.stuff.when.stoned*

74% cleaned up :D lolz
You're going in the right direction re not believing the news. Definatly a good move. Source your own news.

Here's a real laugh then:

A quarter of the oil from the spill evaporated or dissolved naturally into the water, according to the report. BP captured 17 percent of the oil using equipment at the wellhead and skimming accounted for 3 percent of the oil.

Chemicals were used to break up 8 percent of the oil and 16 percent was naturally dispersed, or broken down into small droplets that can be biodegraded.

The findings come from daily operational reports, previous scientific analyses, best available information and a broad range of scientific expertise, according to the report.

“I find it very hard to believe, impossible actually, that they have three-quarters of the oil accounted for,” Samantha Joye, a professor of marine sciences at the University of Georgia in Athens, said today in an e-mail.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-08-04/u-s-says-74-percent-of-bp-oil-gone-from-gulf-waters.html

Light fractions of hydrocarbons will evaporate. There is no controvosy. Wave action in mixing the oil is a key means of breaking up oil so that it can be digested by bacteria. There is nothing remotely controversial in this. Especialy in a place as hot as the GOM. The problem is that the remaining oil will be heavier and less easy to break up.

Oil is a naturally occuring substance that is biodegradable. It just takes a rather long time to biodegrade 5 fucking million barrels.

Also there appears to be some leakage from the cap but it will be mud at this point as the mud was used for topkill. Relief wells should be getting there soon. The one named storm in the Atlantic basin, Colin, is being broken up by dry air and windsheer. The other formations are not looking too likely to do anything (invest 92) so the weather looks okish for the next few days.

are you saying that 75% is about right? :D (sorry if your not, but from that post it looks like you're in agreement)

c'mon, that's bullshit. I know it, and everyone living anywhere near this knows it. I guess they can get away with it, as that poison they put in the sea (corexit) is making it float below the surface. It's still there, just floating in large plumes out of sight.

in which case the homeopathic types are going to be shitting themselves... imagine the destructive power of that oil now it's getting diluted by the ocean.

(sorry)

Cynics :mad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/aug/05/oil-spill-white-house-accused-spin

"Recent reports seem to say that about 75% of the oil is taken care of and that is just not true," said John Kessler, of Texas A&M University, who led a National Science Foundation on-site study of the spill. "The fact is that 50% to 75% of the material that came out of the well is still in the water. It's just in a dissolved or dispersed form."

It looks like BP was successful in using dispersant and a lot of it. It has to make the marine ecology experts afraid since so little is known about the effects.

Can't see the effects of putting a highly toxic substance in large quantities in the sea, being anything other than truly horrendous for any marine life.

Yes. A 67 year old man having a heart attack. While in a hot tub. And then drowns.

If you want another bit of suspicious timing, Halliburton bought Boots and Coots just days before the well blew:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/in...oots/19435689/

Tell us why this is suspicious? Also, 16 days is not 'a couple'. Unless you're speaking in the Mormon sense ;)

Wasn't he the one who was saying stuff like the Deepwater rig isn't the real leak, there's a bigger one 7 miles away from it? Seems nice and convinient to have him dead. There was about 3 causes of death last night :D (falling off a ladder, drowning in a pool, suicide)

Wasn't he the one who was saying stuff like the Deepwater rig isn't the real leak, there's a bigger one 7 miles away from it? Seems nice and convinient to have him dead. There was about 3 causes of death last night :D (falling off a ladder, drowning in a pool, suicide)

I'll put my hands up and say I took Matt Simmons seriously in the earlier phase of this - he has swum against the current of conventional wisdom for years and been right about many things in the past.

I parted company over his claim that the well head was blown off catastrophically and now lies several miles from the actual well - it is easy to verify by GPS where it is, and impossible to cover up with that number of third parties involved.

Anyway, A critical examination of Matt Simmons’ claims on the Deepwater spill over at Energy Bulletin rips him apart, with some of the commentary wondering if he was ill and that this might account for him going mad. Sad for him, and sad for the peak oil message that he is identified with.

Are you just ignoring stuff you don't agree with now? He's basically been disowned by his company over some of those statements, and it looks like a number of people who knew him were worried about his health.

Also, all the reports I've read said he had a heart attack in his hot tub, and subsequently drowned.

Seems to me that when people go against what everyone thinks they should be saying, they must have mental health problems. Something I can relate to as the exact same thing happened here ('sept I ain't dead yet :D). (some of the reports from last night were from random sources, and it was just as they were announcing his death, there was much speculation at the time)

Where did I say mental health? I didn't. I said health. As in 'He maybe wasn't feeling great.' not 'He's gone a bit loony.'

Good example of how confirmation bias from an authoritative source happens in a group dynamic tho.

Are you just ignoring stuff you don't agree with ;)

(from the post of falcon that you quoted)
Anyway, A critical examination of Matt Simmons’ claims on the Deepwater spill over at Energy Bulletin rips him apart, with some of the commentary wondering if he was ill and that this might account for him going mad. Sad for him, and sad for the peak oil message that he is identified with.

It doesn't make it less true. Look, it could well be a natural death, but it also might not be. I'm not going to believe it's a natural death just because the papers tell me so. It's not like the media haven't been towing the line for BP sinse this dissaster began, is it? Question everything.

Yes. A 67 year old man having a heart attack. While in a hot tub. And then drowns.

Tell us why this is suspicious? Also, 16 days is not 'a couple'. Unless you're speaking in the Mormon sense ;)

I didn't say "a couple of days", I said "days." It's a bit suspicious because Boots specializes in capping problem wells and in oil spill cleanup. Don't you think it's interesting that one of the companies that was subcontracting on the rig the day it blew, and has been listed as the possible subcontractor who made it all go pear shaped, bought a company that's suddenly much more profitable than it was before the rig blew up? Now, I'm not saying that Halliburton blew up the well so they could make money cleaning it up. All I'm saying is that its interesting timing....

I didn't say "a couple of days", I said "days." It's a bit suspicious because Boots specializes in capping problem wells and in oil spill cleanup. Don't you think it's interesting that one of the companies that was subcontracting on the rig the day it blew, and has been listed as the possible subcontractor who made it all go pear shaped, bought a company that's suddenly much more profitable than it was before the rig blew up? Now, I'm not saying that Halliburton blew up the well so they could make money cleaning it up. All I'm saying is that its interesting timing....

Since I don't know the timescale on which the deal was first mooted, negotiated etc, or the overall context of Halliburton's M&A strategy (which is alluded to in the last line, after a comparison with companies like Schlumberger), I can't say whether it's interesting timing or not.

Or....reputed expert in field with good track record has reputation shredded and within weeks is found dead in hot tub.

Without cynicism, I'd still believe in the Tooth Fairy, but don't let me stop you sticking teeth under your pillow.

Back
Top Bottom