Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gulf of Mexico oil spill

There are roumers circulating that this leak was done on purpose, so that they can tap 2 "super wells" But this comes from an uncomfirmed email from a "BP employee"
email can be read on this thread http://ww w.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread583367/pg1 (link broken)

What US Scientists Are Forbidden To Tell The Public About The Gulf: Oil Volcano Pressure Too Strong For Containment

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=19730

mmmmm more doom and gloom :cool:

From the same article
It is difficult to know how much water will go down to the core and therefore, its not possible to fully calculate the rise of the floor.
Actually, it is very easy to know: zero. The water would be trying to go into the same hole the steam would be coming out of. The hypothesised steam egress mechanism simultaneously prevents further seawater access.

There is an absolutely staggering amount of crap floating around on the internet on this subject, and you just posted a couple of beauties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/business/media/14carr.html?ref=business

The lack of transparency has turned James Carville, a Louisiana native and a frequent contributor to CNN, into something very similar to John Goodman’s character on HBO’s series “Treme,” a Jeremiah who is shouting into a wind of indifference.

Reached by phone on Friday in New Orleans, Mr. Carville said secrecy had a place in national affairs, just not this one.

“I believe this country is at war,” he said. “We are being invaded, but in this instance it’s not Al Qaeda or the Japanese, it’s just a hideous, greasy, stupid slick of oil that can’t adjust to our tactics, so why the secrets? It’s absurd that we have any secrecy around this, and absurd that the government is going along with it. There should be no limits on access, not for the scientists, not for the journalists, and not for the public that has every right to know what is going on down here and how much of the culture is being lost.”

this is the post I've read, from someone listening to local radio
I have been listening to 5320Khz all morning for USCG oil spill traffic and they JUST announced "Oil Rig fire IVO 28-44.12N 088-23.14W". UMIB Urgent Marine Information Broadcast (informs of Search and Rescue SAR event)

That is roughly 22 miles from the original Deepwater Horizon incident.

In another post they say that the fire has been put out (I was just about to add that) But they're keeping an eye on it.

He's provided a live feed for what he's listening to. (at work so I can't verify any of this)
only that's not a live feed. It was opened up the player and just hissed a bit.

here's a reliable feed. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=5175

apparently these things aren't that uncommon, fires break out and get put out. I guess with all what's going on everyone's a bit tetchy.

The US President...described the spill as an assault on the shores and citizens of the US that tested the limits of human technology http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10325271.stm http://www.youtube.com/whitehouse#p/u/1/Gh76oepKFc8

There is an argument for saying that he has got that about right. My gut instinct is that it's probably easier and less challenging to fly to the moon - even to Mars, then onwards to Pluto and back - than to stem and rectify the unfolding global catastrophe that was sparked by the Deepwater Horizon Disaster.

Air Quality - Benzine & Hydrogen Sulphide

At some testing stations in the Gulf of Mexico, levels of benzene have been detected at over 3000 parts per billion (over 3 parts per million). The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration has set a maximum workplace exposure limit of 1 part of benzene per million parts of air during an 8 hour workday. So already some testing stations in the Gulf of Mexico have detected levels of benzene that are three times higher than what the OSHA considers to be safe.

Not only that, but WWLTV in New Orleans is reporting that hydrogen sulfide has been detected in the Gulf of Mexico at levels as high as 1,192 parts per billion. The concentration threshold at which humans begin to experience physical symptoms from hydrogen sulfide is about 5 to 10 parts per billion.

There is an argument for saying that he has got that about right. My gut instinct is that it's probably easier and less challenging to fly to the moon - even to Mars, then onwards to Pluto and back - than to stem and rectify the unfolding global catastrophe that was sparked by the Deepwater Horizon Disaster.
It's bad alright, but if that piece linked unthread was right, it's happening all the time on a vastly bigger scale in the Niger delta... This spill is getting press cos of it's location

New Leak Estimate - 35,000 to 60,000 barrels a day

Government scientists Tuesday increased the estimate of oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico to between 35,000 and 60,000 barrels per day, up to 50 percent more than previously estimated. That translates into 1.5 million gallons to 2.5 million gallons per day.

The government's previous estimate, issued last week, was 20,000 to 40,000 barrels per day.

The change was "based on updated information and scientific assessments," and was reached by Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, and Chair of the National Incident Command's Flow Rate Technical Group Marcia McNutt, the Deepwater Horizon Incident Joint Information Center said.

"The improved estimate is based on more and better data that is now available and that helps increase the scientific confidence in the accuracy of the estimate," it said.

Full coverage of Gulf oil disaster

Alberto Alisedo, a member of the flow rate technical group, said scientists reached the consensus after a three-hour conference call on Monday and a 10-hour meeting on Sunday of the group in Seattle, Washington.

"Our response to the spill is not determined by flow rate estimates," said BP spokesman Toby Odone. "Our primary concern is to capture as much oil as possible. We are building options to contain higher volumes of oil."

He called measurement of the flow rate "extremely challenging," given the fact that the leak is a mile below the surface of the water.

Sorry about this cos i've already mentioned it and i don't know what the well actually looks like, but wouldn't something like an inverted umbrella work?

If it was pushed down into the well and opened out surely the pressure of oil would tend to keep it in place and stem the flow. There must be somewhere that it would take against the side of the well. Rather than a nuclear device for example.

Like a stop valve? Sounds simple enough to work. But not as much fun as a nuke. :(

(I'm also against nuking it, they've caused enough damage already)

From a poster on the Oil Drum. I dont quite follow all the lingo, but the general thrust is bad.....

This well is producing via a tapered annulus and NOT a production liner.

Flow via a tapered annulus would accumulate a much lower back pressure than a uniform diameter liner.

This well is producing at the sea bed and not the surface, removing 5,000 ft of lift and 2,250 psi of overbalance will vastly increases the production rate.

The bottlenecks in the flow path i.e. the 9-7/8" casing hanger and the partially closed BOP rams will be eroding due to sand and gas production. Therefore the bottlenecks are opening up more and more every day.

One thing to consider is that if the liner collapsed at the first joint below the wellhead then the tension and pressure would have slingshot 700,000 lb of pipe down into the formation. This could have caused the formation to fracture in all manner of ways resulting in very non-linear production, especially under uncontrolled conditions.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-mystery-crop-damage,0,187535.story

Mystery crop damage now being reported, could threaten hundred of acres of crops.

Remember 'acid rain' in the 80's? I wonder if it could be 'benzene rain' or something, or maybe to do with some of the crude oil chemical dispersants turning into aerosol in the air, and getting into the rain bearing cloud...? Who knows, maybe the incredibly high atmospheric pollution levels of sulphur and benzene may well be high enough to lead to this.

From a poster on the Oil Drum. I dont quite follow all the lingo, but the general thrust is bad.....

I don't understand all the jargon either, but there was also some info about this annulus stuff in the FT here:

http://blogs.ft.com/energy-source/2010/06/15/the-nightmare-oil-well-and-five-questions-for-bp/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/16/oil-spill-forces-animals-_n_615003.html

Dolphins and sharks are showing up in surprisingly shallow water just off the Florida coast. Mullets, crabs, rays and small fish congregate by the thousands off an Alabama pier. Birds covered in oil are crawling deep into marshes, never to be seen again.

Marine scientists studying the effects of the BP disaster are seeing some strange phenomena.

Fish and other wildlife seem to be fleeing the oil out in the Gulf and clustering in cleaner waters along the coast in a trend that some researchers see as a potentially troubling sign.

The animals' presence close to shore means their usual habitat is badly polluted, and the crowding could result in mass die-offs as fish run out of oxygen. Also, the animals could easily be devoured by predators.

"A parallel would be: Why are the wildlife running to the edge of a forest on fire? There will be a lot of fish, sharks, turtles trying to get out of this water they detect is not suitable," said Larry Crowder, a Duke University marine biologist.

The nearly two-month-old spill has created an environmental catastrophe unparalleled in U.S. history as tens of millions of gallons of oil have spewed into the Gulf of Mexico ecosystem. Scientists are seeing some unusual things as they try to understand the effects on thousands of species of marine life.

Day by day, scientists in boats tally up dead birds, sea turtles and other animals, but the toll is surprisingly small given the size of the disaster. The latest figures show that 783 birds, 353 turtles and 41 mammals have died – numbers that pale in comparison to what happened after the Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska in 1989, when 250,000 birds and 2,800 otters are believed to have died.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/16/oil-spill-forces-animals-_n_615003.html

Day by day, scientists in boats tally up dead birds, sea turtles and other animals, but the toll is surprisingly small given the size of the disaster. The latest figures show that 783 birds, 353 turtles and 41 mammals have died – numbers that pale in comparison to what happened after the Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska in 1989, when 250,000 birds and 2,800 otters are believed to have died

I don't think the numbers are that strange. The oil has pretty much stayed off the shores. And the coastline of the gulf is different than Prince William sound. And it's kind of stupid to be taking the death tally so soon - if doing it makes sense at all anyway.

Right now there are no storms. Things are bound to worsen when a storm does show up. http://www.stormpulse.com/

Cracks Show BP Was Battling Gulf Well as Early as February

BP Plc was struggling to seal cracks in its Macondo well as far back as February, more than two months before an explosion killed 11 and spewed oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

It took 10 days to plug the first cracks, according to reports BP filed with the Minerals Management Service that were later delivered to congressional investigators. Cracks in the surrounding rock continued to complicate the drilling operation during the ensuing weeks. Left unsealed, they can allow explosive natural gas to rush up the shaft.

“Once they realized they had oil down there, all the decisions they made were designed to get that oil at the lowest cost,” said Peter Galvin of the Center for Biological Diversity, which has been working with congressional investigators probing the disaster. “It’s been a doomed voyage from the beginning.”

How many gallons of oil are actually down in the field?

The Wiki entry says the Macondo Prospect (named after the cursed town in 100 Years of Solitude) has 50m barrels, which is roughly enough oil for the US for 2.5 days of use.

Although other sites say this total might be up to 100m barrels, or 5 days of US oil useage.

Back
Top Bottom