Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gulf of Mexico oil spill

White House sends BP a $69 million dollar bill

"The Administration will continue to bill BP regularly for all associated costs to ensure the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund is reimbursed on an ongoing basis," the White said in a statement via the Deepwater Horizon Unified Command. "As a responsible party, BP is financial responsible for all costs associated with the response to the spill, including efforts to stop the leak at its source, reduce the spread of oil, protect the shoreline and mitigate damages, as well as long term recovery efforts to ensure that all individuals and communities impacted by the spill are made whole."

source

Can't even tell what kind of bird that is.

There's something about our nature that we must feel like we can solve any problem. There will be millions spent on "clean up" and ultimately it won't be a drop in the bucket, probably undetectable. It's a psychological band-aid.

This could be it for the Kemps Ridley sea turtle. You can't take but so many tyson blows and you have to do down. And they're not the only thing.

Anyone seen the live feeds today. I was watching them put the cap on last night but didn't see if it stopped much of the leak. Link would be good.

From The Oil Drum

It is still too soon to know how successful the new cap will be. Spillage of oil was apparently expected by design, initially. As the system is adjusted so that more oil can come from the top, less spillage is expected. Updates on the amount of oil being collected will be provided only every 24 hours. The first estimate is expected tomorrow morning. The ship doing the processing is set up to handle 15,000 barrels of oil a day, so that is the upper limit on the amount the system is set up to handle.

As I understand it they expect leakage at the bottom if only because they don't want to be sucking sea water up with the oil. Why that would matter I am not sure. Perhaps they are planning to sell the oil as is </cynic>

As I understand it they expect leakage at the bottom if only because they don't want to be sucking sea water up with the oil. Why that would matter I am not sure. Perhaps they are planning to sell the oil as is </cynic>
Something about methane calthrates forming (essentially icing it up)

Something about methane calthrates forming (essentially icing it up)

Oh, aha, yes that might make sense, I think now that you mention it I did hear someone talking about that. I can't claim to fully understand it.

It does make me wonder though how long in the hurricane season they can keep tankers on station above the leak pumping oil. I imagine there may come a time when the ship has to be elseware ..

Wow look how fast the oil goes once it hits the gulf stream.

This is based on the oil flowing freely. Even though they're collecting some of the oil it is bound to change once a storm comes.

http://theweek.com/article/index/203730/prediction-the-bp-spill-will-reach-the-east-coast

If this happens there are no words to describe the level of 'fucked up' it would be.

1 CommentSORT BY: OLDEST NEWEST
Crap.
Posted by Steve, 2010-06-04 14:47:56
I agree with Steve. :(

That's also based on the oil being at the surface.

Regardless of what BP is saying, we know an unknown amount of (chemically treated) oil is below the surface. So I guess we won't know when the oil rides the stream. Maybe it'll just show up or dead things will wash up on the shores.

The government's point man for the crisis, Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, said Friday that there had been progress but cautioned against overoptimism.

Early Friday, he guessed that the cap was collecting 42,000 gallons a day — less than one-tenth of the amount leaking from the well. Later in the day, BP said in a tweet that since it was installed Thursday night, it had collected about 76,000 gallons.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

What does that mean? Is that 1/10th of the original leak or the amount after the pipe had been cut which made it ~20% more than the original leak?

http://theweek.com/article/index/203730/prediction-the-bp-spill-will-reach-the-east-coast

If this happens there are no words to describe the level of 'fucked up' it would be.
That youtube video was posted about 6 posts before yours.

And I am not sure why you think this would be such a huge fuck up in the gulf stream. The more diluted the oil becomes the less of a problem it is. This is an enivromental and economic catastrophe in the GOM and some of the US Atlantic sea board. Not beyond that.

The one major unknown and real danger (as has been said several times on this thread) is if leaked oil is staying deep. This would be toxic to many life forms, would not be broken up by surface storms and could create huge blooms of life that feed on oil, these blooms would cause anoxia in the deep water. This is very much an unknown, the GOM is no stranger to artificial anoxia (dead zones) but this one could be really huge. Perhaps big enough to create a sulpher dioxide spike.

Barking_Mad said:
BM's post shortened for brevity

I don't think anyone can quote anybody about his incident yet. Everyone (and everyone called on site) has responded sensibly and the folks driving the ROVs have been exceptional.

Engineering Safety, Environment and Risk Assessment

The current subject extends on several aspects including: stemming the spill of oil from the ruptured undersea pipes, environmental catastrophe and the adverse socio-economic impacts of the affected communities.

The oil industry uses the state-of the –art technology for oil exploration and the associated safety, health and welfare concerns. The state-of the-art of deep sea oil exploration is somewhat mind-boggling. The normal practice and current technology on this case failed to ensure the effectiveness of safety and health imperatives. What the industry and the enforcement agencies have to learn from the disaster is there is need for more redundancy in safety and health, welfare and environment protection measures.

The irony is some of the measures attempted to stem the oil spill into sea are unconvincing, primitive and haphazard; methods not tried and tested, but concepts known to the industry. It seems that safety, health and welfare wherewithal imperatives of the oil industry is primitive, relying on the good fortune of low probability of risk of environmental disaster. The technology so far that has been effective in recovering the spilling oil is basic common sense techniques that can be attempted with robust undersea submersible robot technology.

New technology is evolved by research and development in the universities, industrial innovations and joint efforts by universities and the industry. Only small amount of research and development is actually adopted in the industry for practical, reliable usage. In a disaster like this and in hypothetical scenarios people are urged to produce ideas and solutions to address the problem. In this context, simple means of improving the redundancy of safety and health in the event of wellhead blowout is a relevant strategy. A valve system on the rig riser pipe below the malfunctioned wellhead protection plant to stop and divert the flow of oil which can be operated with the submersible robot is one possibility.

Risk assessment is quintessential imperative of any industry with the potential of creating such a calamity. What has not been effective is risk assessment of the failed wellhead protective plant. The need for practical efficient redundancy measures in oilrig wellhead protection is evident in the current disaster.

The aerospace industry is prominent in risk assessment, and is littered with case studies of disasters attributed to disputes between management and engineers. Globally, disputes between managers, engineers, technicians and craftsmen can also be attributed to risks in engineering.

What has gone wrong in this case is risk assessment. I mean balancing the imperative of redundancy of safety measures and developing reliable state-of the- art technology comparable with deep sea oil exploration technology against the colossal consequences of the current disaster.
:oops::(

I had a dream last night about this.

This is how we kill the planet. This is how we end the world.

What has gone wrong in this case is risk assessment. I mean balancing the imperative of redundancy of safety measures and developing reliable state-of the- art technology comparable with deep sea oil exploration technology against the colossal consequences of the current disaster.
:oops::(
I have a different view. A useful way to think of safety is as a series of layers. Each layer corresponds to a category of safety, ranging from primary engineering, through instrumentation and control systems, auditing and maintenance, procedures and ultimately the human layer.

There is no level of risk assessment which can render any layer to be entirely free of defects, principally because of the "don't know what we don't know" category of defects. So each layer has conceptual holes in it, like slices of swiss cheese. When potential accidents are blocked by one or more layers (for example, a design defect is detected by safety instrumentation and controlled by a procedure), we are safe. When all the holes line up, we die.

Furthermore, there is a vicious "diminishing returns" dynamic in safety: the more you add, the more holes you introduce, and the more the risk of a single point of a failure in the safety system causing a failure in the device it is supposed to be protecting. There is a nasty reverse psychology mechanism at work too. Ask yourself which car you would drive more safely - one with fantastic brakes and a big airbag, or one with a 12 inch stainless steel spike installed in the steering wheel directed at your forehead. More safety systems in the physical layer reduces the integrity of the human layer, which is the dominant one.

In that context, depletion of conventional oil is driving two things which are causing the level of complexity necessary to sustain oil production to rise faster than our capacity to manage it:

(1) The complexity of many of the layers is growing rapidly. The design of a deepwater platform and associated wells is orders of magnitudes more complex than that of shallow water and onshore facilities. There are therefore orders of magnitude many more "holes" in the safety systems, only some of which we can anticipate.

(2) The magnitude of any failure, when it occurs, is now significant at the scale of the biosphere.

We are witnessing the technical limits of the industry, and therefore of the production rate.

That youtube video was posted about 6 posts before yours.

And I am not sure why you think this would be such a huge fuck up in the gulf stream. The more diluted the oil becomes the less of a problem it is. This is an enivromental and economic catastrophe in the GOM and some of the US Atlantic sea board. Not beyond that.

The one major unknown and real danger (as has been said several times on this thread) is if leaked oil is staying deep. This would be toxic to many life forms, would not be broken up by surface storms and could create huge blooms of life that feed on oil, these blooms would cause anoxia in the deep water. This is very much an unknown, the GOM is no stranger to artificial anoxia (dead zones) but this one could be really huge. Perhaps big enough to create a sulpher dioxide spike.

Yeah I didn't see it. Well we'll have to wait and see. It only has to be problem enough. It matters to me because we have a tough enough time trying to keep our own government straight with not letting them destroy the coastal ecosystems - or the islands themselves. It'd be fucked up if it came from elsewhere.

I think the unknown danger is the chemically treated oil or whatever concoction it turns into and what it does. From what I understand it isn't as easy to break down.

Matt Simmons on MBNC yesterday. Summary: the Deepwater Horizon was the size of an aircraft carrier and took two days to burn - BP claimed it was on board diesel stocks, but that can't be. Suggests a massive explosion, pressure fed at 50,000 psi, that blew the BOP off the well and possibly the entire casing out of the well. NOAA have deployed the Thomas Jefferson research vessel to survey a 100 mile diameter, 500 foot deep oil lake on the sea floor some miles away. He thinks they are about to find an open hole some miles away from the current site, which is the actual site of the well. Relief wells cannot possibly work if the well is open hole. Meanwhile, oil showing up at the seawater intakes of the Gulf refineries will shut them down and drive a US gasoline crisis.

The missing piece for me is how the BOP can appear to be connected to a well if it has been blown off--BP should know within a few meters the lat and long of the BOP and therefore whether it is off location. Also, what is coming out of the riser on the cam--there isn't enough visible flow to account for the surface and estimated subsurface volumes, but there is more than can be accounted for by the inventory of a detached riser venting to sea. So neither the official explanation nor Simmon's theory is fitting.

So need to watch this survey vessel closely.

MSBNC, Matt Simmons 7 Jun 2010 (via businessinsider.com)

Some story links:

US Congressional Research Service: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill - an in depth report
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41262.pdf

Various report links on the possible to probable lack of internal structural integrity of the Gulf well
http://beforeitsnews.com/news/74/93...tself_May_Have_Lost_Structural_Integrity.html

BP oil spill fears hit North Sea as Norway bans drilling: Terje Riis-Johansen, Norway's oil minister said: "What is happening in the Gulf of Mexico is so unique, it's gone on for such a long time, the blow-out is so big, we must gather enough information from it before we move on." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...rs-hit-North-Sea-as-Norway-bans-drilling.html

I don't think there is much risk of this in the North Sea, but beyond the technology and safety issues being studied in the Gulf, one thing I think would be worth looking at is considering the effect of seismic & volcanic activity and tectonic changes and shifts, and how this could affect pressure levels in deep oil pockets such as Deepwater.

There was an extraordinary flurry of seismic and volcanic activity in the run up to and in the aftermath of the Deepwater blow-out. There were large earthquakes in Chile, Haiti, California and several others. All far away from the Gulf, as far as 'the crow flies' goes, but conditions and structural relationships between continents and countries deep underground are quite, quite different from the surface. Much more fluid and chaotic.

All the tectonic plates are all connected, shifting about - miles down deep within the earth - on a viscous 'sea' of molten rock. Who knows? Several earthquakes, a few volcanic eruptions or two and a few shifts in the tectonic plates could potentially have a 'squeeze' effect in a high pressure deep well scenario like Deepwater (that overwhelms existing load levels) that haven't yet been fully appreciated or factored into risk management protocols.

Oh and it would appear another leak is happening at the same time...

As if the oil spill in the gulf weren’t already sticky and complicated enough, news started emerging late Tuesday of a second oil well in the region leaking crude, producing an oil slick that was visible from the air.

The news was spotty and a little vague, but the Department of Interior did confirm Tuesday that “small amounts of oil – on average of less than one-third of a barrel per day – have been leaking” from wells operated by a company called Taylor Energy.

CNBC was reporting that this new leak originated from a production platform that was destroyed by an underwater mudslide in 2004, when Hurricane Ivan slammed the area. The site has been leaking ever since, as Taylor has sought to contain and close the well.

Taylor Energy, meanwhile, issued a statement Tuesday, saying that the photos of a second oil slick were taken while the company was actively working at the site, deploying a containment system: “Unidentified aircraft took photos this weekend that incorrectly reported an oil leak coming from the drilling rig Ocean Saratoga. At the time of these photos, Taylor Energy was actually conducting marine operations on site with a 180 foot dynamically positioned workboat for a regularly scheduled subsea containment system drainage,” the company said.

So it’s a small leak that Taylor is actively trying to contain.

But what’s a little less clear is how long this leak, which is still producing around 14 gallons a day – roughly a car tank’s worth – has been belching oil into the open ocean. Yes, Taylor is working to contain it, but how many days out of the last six years has oil been flowing freely? Assuming the leakage rate was always 14 daily gallons, that’s more than 30,600 gallons since 2004.

Back
Top Bottom