Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Goth is Great

Termite Man

zombie flesh eater
I have been in listening to a fair bit of Goth over the last few weeks and have come to the conclusion that when it is done well it is better than any other music out there . Obviously there is some utter rubbish in the genre and even the great Goth bands have produced some shit but when it's at it's best I don't think anything else comes close .

all the best bands liked by goths weren't goth bands. The bands that were specifically goth were all shit

So there!

spoilt-brat.jpg

Temple of Love is a great tune.

I don't really know what counts as Goth, Bauhaus made some top tunes.

all the best bands liked by goths weren't goth bands. The bands that were specifically goth were all shit
As a general rule I think that's right. I was never into any goth bands, hated them actually, but there were some bands I liked back in the 80's - mainly electronic, like early Skinny Puppy - which were classed as industrial but really were very goth. Unfortunately they later went the whole way and became goth - and shit.

And right now too. My fave gig of this year was Fever Ray, with Zola Jesus supporting - and they both undoubtedly use goth themes and imagery, and do it brilliantly.

It appears I don't know what goth is either .

who does? I tend to agree that the most important bands weren't actually 'goth' that it was kind of a genre of second division, reactionary, derivate arse water.

Meanwhile that Crystal Castles and Fat Bob single has put me on a Cure binge of late and they really were great, and not especially goth, a lot of the time.

Can I refer you all to this curious goth/not goth mix someone you may remember did a short while back - With Goth On Our Side

It's a mix of great and crap

and sorely missing 'Cathouse' which is genius

Temple of Love is a great tune.
Heard Dave Clark finish a final set at Fabric with it once... it was great. Everyone under about 25 looked a bit puzzled, but then got into it, everyone else just went mental. :D

Should also add that this, by a bunch of Scandinavian gothy types, is one of the most arse-shakingly bouncy dance tracks of all time:

Yay for Goth disco!

Sisters of Mercy, March Violets, Rose of Avalanche, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry: that's quite an impressive list of bands to come from a horrid Yorkshire town in a couple of years.

It's too diverse to say whether you like it or not, you can't really compare The March Violets with The Mission with Alien Sex Fiend with Miranda Sex Garden with All About Eve etc.........

What have you been listening to specifically TM?

Heard Dave Clark finish a final set at Fabric with it once... it was great. Everyone under about 25 looked a bit puzzled, but then got into it, everyone else just went mental. :D

Fllorshow was a regular at Back to Basics before Ali Cooke died. Think him and Ralph Lawson even did a remix of it.

It's too diverse to say whether you like it or not, you can't really compare The March Violets with The Mission with Alien Sex Fiend with Miranda Sex Garden with All About Eve etc.........

What have you been listening to specifically TM?

I used to know Katharine's brother. He's now in the bonkers Gyratory System

I was thinking the other day how alot of post punk is doing quite well for itself these days. "They were there first" exploring the rock vector that was opened up. Even now stuff like 'dream pop' bands are being revered , they did it first. I'm not sure whether this is because retroism is in too much in vogue or new bands can't leave the past behind.

Here's one of my faves. As an exercise in studied gloom it's faultless.

Back
Top Bottom