Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Got a British Airways companion voucher - where should I go?

strung out

💩 🤣 🍆 💦 🧐 👻 🐝 🐈‍⬛
I have to book it for a date before July next year, but it can be anywhere that BA fly directly to.

Originally wanted to go to South Korea, but discovered that BA don't fly there anymore. Ideally no overly oppressive regimes/dictatorships, and relatively relaxing, although don't mind a bit of faff/chaos if it's really worth it, especially if there's some great cultural stuff to see/do.

Places further away will give me better value from the voucher I've got, but given it will almost certainly have to be economy, would rather not be a 12+ hour flight unless it's somewhere really stunning.

Ideas so far are New York (went there in March and loved it, but might be too soon to go again), Bahamas (friend lives there but get the impression it's probably a bit boring/expensive), Tokyo (only tickets available are in the summer, so run the risk of getting caught in 40+ degree heat), Mexico (wife really wants to go, but not sure how relaxing it would be).

Any other bright ideas that fit the bill? My wife grew up in South America and South East Asia, often holidaying in nearby countries, so finding somewhere she's not been before is a challenge :D

Do you have the free BA amex (so economy only voucher) or just not enough Avios for a club redemption. Taxes are very high for anything transatlantic and particularly so in premium cabins. I no longer collect Avios so not fully up to speed the rules nowadays.

Lots of articles about this on www.headforpoints.com about how to book a 241 voucher but to summarise Avios seats for popular long haul destinations eg Cape Town, Miami, US West coast, Singapore and Sydney often go when they’re released at T-355

This is a good starter

And you can also use it on Iberia (probably ex Madrid but that would open up some interesting destinations)

Do you have the free BA amex (so economy only voucher) or just not enough Avios for a club redemption. Taxes are very high for anything transatlantic and particularly so in premium cabins. I no longer collect Avios so not fully up to speed the rules nowadays.

Lots of articles about this on www.headforpoints.com about how to book a 241 voucher but to summarise Avios seats for popular long haul destinations eg Cape Town, Miami, US West coast, Singapore and Sydney often go when they’re released at T-355

This is a good starter

And you can also use it on Iberia (probably ex Madrid but that would open up some interesting destinations)

Only got the cheapo voucher so no premium seats, but it does mean seat availability is much better and you can book things without having to get in there as soon as they're released. Have been reading HfP for years, so get how it all works, just unsure of where to go.

Wondering which Caribbean island is nicest at the moment.

I was surprised at how much I liked Japan. So yeah Tokyo, but if you only had a short time Osaka/Kyoto. Lots of aircon for the summer
I'd book Japan tomorrow, but the only direct flights are to Tokyo, which my wife has visited at least five times. Going elsewhere in Japan adds a lot of faff (wife has a chronic condition that makes long distance travel very tiring, so we prefer no connecting flights/additional travel unless necessary!)

My daughter recommends Vietnam. She spent a couple of years there, and has been trying to get us to visit.

(Our last plan to go was hit by the Covid problem.)

I was really pissed off to find that they'd changed the rules and that the basic Amex voucher can only be used in economy. I've only managed to use a voucher once in the past but managed to get business flights to US for me and Mrs W for basically price of economy.

#firstworldproblems etc.

strung out how about South Africa (long flight but no jet lag) or Sri Lanka?

Vietnam is great but BA don't fly there.

I was really pissed off to find that they'd changed the rules and that the basic Amex voucher can only be used in economy. I've only managed to use a voucher once in the past but managed to get business flights to US for me and Mrs W for basically price of economy.

#firstworldproblems etc.

strung out how about South Africa (long flight but no jet lag) or Sri Lanka?

Vietnam is great but BA don't fly there.
Yes, been pondering South Africa, definitely an option, but like you say, long flight. We've been to Vietnam and found it pretty variable, but definitely want to go back and try again at some point. Like you say though, BA don't fly so it's a no-go.

Latest idea is St Lucia - nice and hot, 'only' an 8 hour flight, and plenty to do.

I've actually got a cabin upgrade voucher, which is valid for two years, so can pay for premium economy and get upgraded to business, but waiting until I get a second one of them so I can have one each for me and my wife.

St Lucia is recommended by my friends who went for a beach holiday. Not sure what else there is to do but I guess folk go to relax. Barbados is meant to be good too, a friend honeymooned there and enjoyed it. Not one for beach holidays myself though.

If I had an upgrade voucher (used to go for the Lloyds one as was usually a solo traveller) and the money for the trip I’d use it for a US road trip probably somewhere in the SW.

St Lucia is recommended by my friends who went for a beach holiday. Not sure what else there is to do but I guess folk go to relax. Barbados is meant to be good too, a friend honeymooned there and enjoyed it. Not one for beach holidays myself though.

If I had an upgrade voucher (used to go for the Lloyds one as was usually a solo traveller) and the money for the trip I’d use it for a US road trip probably somewhere in the SW.
No holiday in the Carribean has to be a resort beach holiday though.

I want to go to Jamaica fairly soon, but I have no interest in resorts. Currently looking at the idea of volunteering on a farm etc for a few weeks.

No holiday in the Carribean has to be a resort beach holiday though.

I want to go to Jamaica fairly soon, but I have no interest in resorts. Currently looking at the idea of volunteering on a farm etc for a few weeks.
Yeah I don’t think I’d want to go to a resort, I assumed relaxing in the OP meant resorts.

BA doesn't fly to Sri Lanka.

Caribbean in the summer is too hot and humid.

Outside of summer, Grenada; big enough to have interesting stuff to see and do, one of the world's best beaches, yet small enough to be genuinely friendly and very safe.

I have been looking at something similar myself, as i'm on a friends and family list, so i can fly on a standby ticket. Im thinking Mexico City might be one of the better destinations they currently fly direct to.

Grenada sounds good.

So Bahnhof Strasse
Last min get-away- 10 - 12 days.
Not Europe/ USA
Not Turkey or that area for obvious reasons.
Coast
Warm

Any ideas?.
The Gambia?
Taiwan - fly into Taipai and have a few days there then get the bullet train to one of the southern coastal cities.
China (Hainan) - they have a special visa regime for Hainan, but that might just be for package deals.
Do you count Madeira or the Canaries as ‘Europe’?

I fucking despised Dubai, but I want to go back as there was sone interesting stuff and the beach was nice.

Nah I'm not going there as being gay is illegal.

Un-good of course, but it seems that is more of a hangover of British rule and no one has ever been charged with any offence. Same in Antigua & Barbuda, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia and Barbados. Jamaica bucks that trend, not entirely sure the message has filtered through to the populace though, judging by some of the music at any rate.

Canaries.

4 hours.

Can be busy resorts or un-busy wilderness on the same islands of Tenerife, Lanzarote or Gran Canaria, or wilderness and total peace and quiet on La Gomera or El Hierro.

I have to book it for a date before July next year, but it can be anywhere that BA fly directly to.

Originally wanted to go to South Korea, but discovered that BA don't fly there anymore. Ideally no overly oppressive regimes/dictatorships, and relatively relaxing, although don't mind a bit of faff/chaos if it's really worth it, especially if there's some great cultural stuff to see/do.

Places further away will give me better value from the voucher I've got, but given it will almost certainly have to be economy, would rather not be a 12+ hour flight unless it's somewhere really stunning.

Ideas so far are New York (went there in March and loved it, but might be too soon to go again), Bahamas (friend lives there but get the impression it's probably a bit boring/expensive), Tokyo (only tickets available are in the summer, so run the risk of getting caught in 40+ degree heat), Mexico (wife really wants to go, but not sure how relaxing it would be).

Any other bright ideas that fit the bill? My wife grew up in South America and South East Asia, often holidaying in nearby countries, so finding somewhere she's not been before is a challenge :D
Mexico is brilliant and can be relaxing. We loved Oaxaca City - very arty vibe, used to be a screenprinting city so lots of small galleries and old printing shops. Fantastic food and great mooching. If you go to Porto Escondido on the Oaxaca coast, the flight ro Oaxaca over the mountains in a light plane is exhilarating:) Mexico City great as well.

Holbox Island is also fab, car free nature park island, really laid back and beautiful.

Caribbean if not in the summer def. Kitts and Nevis fir a shortie. Costa Rica for a longer one. Mexico DF if you want to use it as a base for explore

Back
Top Bottom