Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gossips, Dean Street: let's have your memories!

Good piece about Gossips here:

gossips82-ridgers.jpg

face83no34julesgold-dr.jpg

face83no34gazwalsh-dr.jpg

Look how it was in the 40s!

c40-gargdancers-ml.jpg

Read more: http://shapersofthe80s.com/clubbing/69-dean-street-and-the-making-of-uk-club-culture/

The Royal George was one odd pub. Garishly lit and not even slightly rock and roll, but there'd always been an ample quota of coiffured rockers there.
Totally! I always used to think that. It was usually the starting point for the evening (I always used to listen to that Dog's song that starts,'Take a kid from Kensington, put him in a cab for Wardour street' before i went out!).

Wasn't it Billys beforte it was Gossips?
Seem to recall seeing The Slits and Muvvers Pride there in around 78/79
How farkin ancient I have become.....:(

I went there a good few times but I can't remember anything about it .. no reason I just can't
I remember The Batcave, St Moritz and The Ship very well
And Billy's (although it was way too cliquey and New Romantic for me) .. I only went once iirc and only got in cos the DJ (was) is my cousin

The article left out Severin's Kiss the fetish night which ran monthly at Gossips during the early 1990's:
2078_44514614081_3420_n.jpg

2078_44514619081_3679_n.jpg

Lenny from the Hard Club (Teresa Orlowski) also used to DJ on some of our nights.

Heh, went to at least one of those nights, was lots of fun (also featuring a group of slightly bewildered Japanese tourists)

I have lots of amazing photos from December 1990 at Hard Club as well and will scan some to post. .
Editor, who are you, did you go to Hard Club and do you know the people I mentioned? Turx was a bartender and dated Cindy from Chicago

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I went to Hard Club, but there again, I may have been there every week (drink was usually involved in my trips to Gossips!).

View attachment 28187

I studied in London in the fall of 1990 and lived for Wednesday nights at Gossips for Hard Club 90. Does anyone know where Turx, Cindy, John, Ford and my favorite goth boys Alan and Anthony are now?
View attachment 28187

I studied in London in the fall of 1990 and lived for Wednesday nights at Gossips for Hard Club 90. Does anyone know where Turx, Cindy, John, Ford and my favorite goth boys Alan and Anthony are now?

Glad you liked hardclub - here is a link to a vid filmed in gossips - https://myspace.com/hardclub1/video/hardclub-video/2919318

Hello to anybody who stumbles onto this thread wondering what happened to my father, Mick, i know there hasn't been any activity on here for at least 2 years but i would just like to inform anybody who wanted to know that he passed away a couple of days ago, and i'd love it if any of you guys have pictures of him and the club that you could pass onto me. Thanks

Hello to anybody who stumbles onto this thread wondering what happened to my father, Mick, i know there hasn't been any activity on here for at least 2 years but i would just like to inform anybody who wanted to know that he passed away a couple of days ago, and i'd love it if any of you guys have pictures of him and the club that you could pass onto me. Thanks
Thanks for posting and I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. Mick was a bloody great bloke.

Hi, Matty. I knew your dad because I lived with his brother Robert and his mum Mona and Uncle Bill for many years. Robert and I wrote songs and gigged together and we separated in the early 90's. Your dad was a great guy and was very generous and caring. I often wondered what happened to all of them as I had moved back to the U.S. and after a few years Mona had stopped writing. If Robert is contactable I would love to get in touch with him.
Sorry your dad is gone. He was much loved by so many. My condolences.
If you wish to find me on Facebook my married name is now Melodye Buskin.

went to "Eurobeat 2000" night there a couple of times, took my UB40 so i could get the cheap list.

Oh what memories!

I think I might have gone to Gossips some time around late '92/early '93ish but my memories of basement clubs in Soho at that time are hazy at best. Was there lots of sofas and a small dance floor in the corner? If it's the club I'm thinking of I spent all night dancing to EBM long after my friends had gone home.

Hi, I know there's not been much on here for a while, but just wondering if anyone could help.
Does anyone know the years Gossips was Gossips from and to? Even better if you also know when Billy's was, I know clubs change names and hands lots and it's hard to get the info but even just the decade would be great. I'm working on mapping the history of Soho's nightlife for a project. I can post the clubs/bars and dates I have already and any more info would be really welcome. I'm also interested in why they closed, redevelopment, licenses being revoked etc.

Hi, I know there's not been much on here for a while, but just wondering if anyone could help.
Does anyone know the years Gossips was Gossips from and to? Even better if you also know when Billy's was, I know clubs change names and hands lots and it's hard to get the info but even just the decade would be great. I'm working on mapping the history of Soho's nightlife for a project. I can post the clubs/bars and dates I have already and any more info would be really welcome. I'm also interested in why they closed, redevelopment, licenses being revoked etc.
Hi. Amy
I worked at Billy’s in 1978/9 its name was changed to Gossips soon after I started working there. The memories I have of that place. I could write a book about. Brilliant place.

Howdy, Hardclub 90 was my home away from industrial home when I arrived in the UK.
We were all about the Wax Trax in STL and Chicago, so I brought it with me.
Such an old thread, but then, such old memories. Here's some names and pictures.
Turx, Christian, Erin, Faith, Robert, Alan, Andrea, Len, Florence and so on

28235_386648077198_4904091_n.jpg

28235_386648352198_6680320_n.jpg\

28235_386647767198_5406854_n.jpg

28235_386647862198_1463160_n.jpg

28235_386647772198_2893022_n.jpg

28235_386647777198_6850441_n.jpg

28235_386648142198_1649675_n.jpg

28235_386648507198_3221696_n.jpg

28235_386648517198_506270_n.jpg

28235_386648092198_7466940_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well sad news, a old mate of mine, Adam Birdsall, premiered his crazed single (psychosexualis??) at Batcave night some decades ago, some scenes for the vid of the single were filmed there

Kicking hell. I was there for most of this. We always ended up on Friday night at ‘The Web’ club at the Astoria. A girl called Alisha used to jack my hair up with flex net hairspray. Problem was it was all the same length so it ended up BIG! Happy days. Got in free to see Tigertailz once. Was outside the Royal George once when a guy was handing out tickets to Stringfellows because the band Engine (from my neck of the woods) had let the Dan Reed Network borrow their equipment for an imprompu gig.

...I used to to ‘the job club‘ here with residents Darren Emerson, Dust ( later chemical) Bros, death in Vegas and loads of guests, run by Alan and Lorenzo...was fridays and a good laff.....

I loved Gaz’s at Gossips. I briefly met Elvis Costello there at the bar. Maybe 1985? Just came across my membership card.IMG_8294.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom