Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Good horror films

kittyP

Pluviophile
OK I know there is a more recent horror film thread but with many search terms I couldn't find it.

Just watched "Housebound"
A Kiwi dark comedy/horror and really enjoyed it.
There were a few points I would question but will see who else has watched it first.

Also watched "Horns" last night.
The book is by Steven Kings son and the film is Canadian tongue in cheek/horror.

I really enjoyed both,

So, please direct/link me to the right place :)

It Follows is sort of influenced by it but by no means a straight re-make

the one I've always found memorable is Exorcist III as it really is quite a tour de force of supernatural horror - all the more so that William Blatty although a long time Hollywood script writer had never directed a film before

Kermode thinks highly of it ( as indeed did Jeffrey Dahmer ) but don't let that put you off

I am not a fan of horror films but thought the Orphanage is really good cos there is not actually any horror. It is all in your mind.:)

From M R James 'Casting of the Runes'
Brilliant film. I cannot believe we have never had a remake. Inspired Kate Bush too for Hounds of Love. Cracking story.:thumbs:
Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell comes close to being a remake of Night of the Demon, the end is almost identical.

Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell comes close to being a remake of Night of the Demon, the end is almost identical.
Yep watched Raimi's Drag Me To Hell.

This is why I bumped this thread coz I've seen every bloody horror film even remotely worth seeing within the last, well, 40 years.

I am so desperate to see a new horror.
But, even a shitty one is not available.

If you say so. I found it creepy but a very good film. Mind you I avoid horrors like an annoyed wasp. :)
So horror isn't your genre?

I was pleased with the Orphanage coz it was spooky and actually properly chilling.
Unlike most other modern horror films

So horror isn't your genre? was

I was pleased with the Orphanage coz it was spooky and actually properly chilling.
Unlike most other modern horror films
Did ypu see it as a horror even though there wa no horror?

My favourite horror films of the last decade:

Let the Right One In - Pretty well known, my favourite horror film of the last decade. Don't watch the inferior US remake by mistake

Left Bank - Overlooked and hugely underrated Belgian horror film. Has a Rosemary's Baby style plot without being derivative and combines social realism and the supernatural in a way that's similar to Let the Right One In.

Bone Tomahawk - Effective mix of classic western and modern horror, a bit like The Searchers meets The Hills Have Eyes. More than a gimmicky genre mash-up, the first three quarters are a genuinely great western and the last quarter is a jawdroppingly gruesome horror film.

The Woman - Jagged, edgy feminist horror film in which the real horror lies at the heart of the All American family.

The Skeleton Key - Underrated supernatural thriller which has a clever explanation for what initially seem like the cliches of the haunted house film and the final twist is great. The great Gena Rowlands is the scariest old lady since Ruth Gordon in Rosemary's Baby.

You're Next - Great satirical house invasion horror film which takes the piss out of a bourgeois family in a way which feels worthy of Bunuel. It's got an admirably resourceful heroine.

Kill List - Probably quite well known British film. Starts as a gangster film and then strays into Wicker Man territory. Very atmospheric and creepy.

The Innkeepers - The plot about a haunted hotel is almost a backdrop to a great character study of the two employees stuck there for their last ever night shift. They get in way over their heads when they start looking for the ghost out of sheer boredom. There is a wonderful retro feel to the haunted hotel.

The Pact - Modern day haunted house film which places it's haunting effectively in a deprived, working class community and does without the cliched gothic trappings of the genre.

Under the Skin - Probably needs no introduction. Arty, challenging, chilling horror film about an amoral alien being with a murderous agenda.

It Follows - Maybe the most stylish and beautiful looking horror film of the last few years. Heavily influenced by vintage John Carpenter and the artist Gregory Crewdson.

Triangle - Intriguing brain twister about a woman stuck in a diabolical time loop with numerous nods to Greek mythology.

Housebound - Lovely Kiwi horror comedy about families being worse than ghosts.

Splice - Smart, Canadian Cronenberg-style gene splicing update of Frankenstein

Sleep Tight - Spanish psychological thriller about a very human monster.

Grabbers - Shamefully overlooked Irish horror comedy which is a bit like Father Ted meets The Thing. It features the best ever way of repelling monsters.

Orphan - The best evil child horror of the last few years film with an outrageous plot twist which some seem to hate, but which I found hilarious.

Amer - Very arty homage to 70s Italian gialli. More arty than scary, but clever and very beautiful.

[REC] - This Spanish infected/zombie/possession is still the best of the found footage horror films. The first sequel is not bad either. Skip the 3rd and 4th film and the US remake.

Rogue - The Citizen Kane of giant crocodile movies. Looks like it might be rubbish, but it's great fun. Has a more likeable and well drawn cast of victims than most monster movies and the killer croc is genuinely impressive when it finally shows itself.

Rigor Mortis - Stylish and atmospheric Hong Kong vampire film which draws heavily on local folklore.

Proxy - If you can stick out the violent first ten minutes which break a cinematic taboo (which had a few people rush for the exit when I saw it), this settles into a darkly funny psychological thriller about two very fucked up women who meet with disastrous consequences. Pregnant women may want to give this one a miss.

What We Do In the Shadows - This New Zealand vampire mockumentary tips more towards comedy than horror, but it's surprisingly respectful of the genre and no other film made me as happy in 2015.

Last edited:
The Devil's Business - fairly recent low budget British film, some excellent acting, goes off a bit towards the end but still rewarding.

Did ypu see it as a horror even though there wa no horror?
I'm not sure I understand. Horror comes in many shapes: psychological, supernatural, visceral. The Orphanage was full of gothic conventions of the horror genre.

Last edited:

Let the Right One In - Pretty well known, my favourite horror film of the last decade. Don't watch the inferior US remake by mistake

Left Bank - Overlooked and hugely underrated Belgian horror film. Has a Rosemary's Baby style plot and combines social realism and the supernatural in a way that's similar to Let the Right One In

The Woman - Jagged, edgy feminist horror film in which the real horr is at the heart of the All American family.

You're Next - Great satirical house invasion horror film which takes the piss out of a bourgeois family in a way which feels almost worthy of Bunuel. Great, resourceful heroine as well.

Kill List - Probably quite well known British film. Starts as a gangster film and then strays into Wicker Man territory. Very atmospheric and creepy.

The Innkeepers - The plot about a haunted hotel is almost a backdrop to a great character study of a lost girl and the loser who has a crush on her.

The Pact - Modern day haunted house film which places it's haunting effectively in a deprived, working class community and does without the cliched gothic trappings of the genre.

Under the Skin - Probably needs no introduction. Arty, challenging, chilling horror film about an amoral alien being with a murderous agenda.

It Follows - Maybe the most stylish and beautiful looking horror film of the last few years

Triangle - Intriguing brain twister about a woman stuck in a diabolical time loop with numerous nods to Greek mythology.

Grabbers - Shamefully overlooked Irish horror comedy which is a bit like Father Ted meets The Thing.

Orphan - The best evil child horror of the last few years film with an outrageous plot twist which some seem to hate, but which I found hilarious.

Amer - Very arty homage to 70s Italian gialli. More arty than scary, but clever and very beautiful.

[REC] - This Spanish infected/zombie/possession is still the best of the found footage horror films. The gist sequel is not bad either. Skip the 3rd and 4th film and the US remake.

Rogue - The Citizen Kane of giant crocodile movies. Looks like it might be rubbish, but it's great fun.

Rigor Mortis - Hugely stylish and atmospheric Hong Kong martial arts vampire film which, drawing on local folklore.

Proxy - If you can stick out the quite shocking first ten minutes, this settles into a darkly funny psychological thriller about two very fucked up women who meet with disastrous consequences.
That's a list to get stuck into!

Disagree about [rec] being good, though you're probably right it's the best of the found footage films. I just found it a bit meh.

Interesting you named Triangle as I've never heard anyone mention that anywhere except for my mate who recommended it to me. I really enjoyed it, but I must admit I missed the Greek mythology references (probably my lack of knowledge of that subject). What is/were they?

Interesting you named Triangle as I've never heard anyone mention that anywhere except for my mate who recommended it to me. I really enjoyed it, but I must admit I missed the Greek mythology references (probably my lack of knowledge of that subject). What is/were they?

The main one is Sisyphus, but there are other allusions to Greek mythology throughout. Would have to watch it again to get them all.

...a few more recent ones which I didn't love as much as the ones I just listed, but which are worthwhile for horror fans:

The Hallow - It's a bit like Assault on Precinct 13 in a cabin in the woods, with evil, baby snatching fairies. The "forest folk" are quite cool looking.

We Are Still Here - 70s style haunted house film, which falls apart at the climax, but is effective till then. The rare modern horror film with middle aged protagonist.

Howl - Silly, but fun British "Werewolves On A Train"film. The werewolves are quite cool, weird train though.

At the Devils Door - By the director of The Pact with a similar sense for placing the supernatural in a realistic setting, among the backdrop of the 2nd generation immigrant experience. This really grew on me on a second viewing. Very atmospheric.

Absentia - Low budget, crowd funded film, but one of the few genuinely successful Lovecraftian horror films with some clever plot twists.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident - After several big budget flops, Renny Harlin does found footage horror and maybe more of a guilty pleasure, but it goes to some genuinely batshit place in the end.

The Canal - Slow but creepy Irish horror film which had a couple of sequences which genuinely gave me the chills, especially one in a very scuzzy public toilet.

VHS 2 - Found footage anthology sequel, better than the first one and worthwhile for two of the segments (the apocalypse cult and the zombie one)

Last edited:
some select quotes.

"I woke up and there was something right here [points to side of tent]. I could hear it man, walking around."

"What's this vodoo shit?"

"What ever it, what ever the fuck it is, we're CLEARLY not wanted here so lets just get the fuck out."

"I gave you BACK THE MAP".

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?"

film buffs - watch it again. carefully. suspend disbelief. IT's a fucking brilliant film.

The Blair Witch Project

Left Bank - Overlooked and hugely underrated Belgian horror film. Has a Rosemary's Baby style plot without being derivative and combines social realism and the supernatural in a way that's similar to Let the Right One In.

Bone Tomahawk - Effective mix of classic western and modern horror, a bit like The Searchers meets The Hills Have Eyes. More than a gimmicky genre mash-up, the first three quarters are a genuinely great western and the last quarter is a jawdroppingly gruesome horror film.

The Woman - Jagged, edgy feminist horror film in which the real horror lies at the heart of the All American family.

The Skeleton Key - Underrated supernatural thriller which has a clever explanation for what initially seem like the cliches of the haunted house film and the final twist is great. The great Gena Rowlands is the scariest old lady since Ruth Gordon in Rosemary's Baby.

You're Next - Great satirical house invasion horror film which takes the piss out of a bourgeois family in a way which feels almost worthy of Bunuel. Great, resourceful heroine as well.

The Innkeepers - The plot about a haunted hotel is almost a backdrop to a great character study of a lost girl and the loser who has a crush on her.

It Follows - Maybe the most stylish and beautiful looking horror film of the last few years

Grabbers - Shamefully overlooked Irish horror comedy which is a bit like Father Ted meets The Thing.

[REC] - This Spanish infected/zombie/possession is still the best of the found footage horror films. The first sequel is not bad either. Skip the 3rd and 4th film and the US remake.

Rogue - The Citizen Kane of giant crocodile movies. Looks like it might be rubbish, but it's great fun. Has a more more likeable and well drawn cast of victims than most monster movies and the killer croc is genuinely impressive when it finally shows itself.

Rigor Mortis - Hugely stylish and atmospheric Hong Kong vampire film which draws heavily on local folklore.

Proxy - If you can stick out the violent first ten minutes which break a cinematic taboo (which had a few people rush for the exit when I saw it), this settles into a darkly funny psychological thriller about two very fucked up women who meet with disastrous consequences.

What We Do In the Shadows - This New Zealand vampire mockumentary tips more towards comedy than horror, but it's surprisingly respectful of the genre and no other film made me as happy in 2015.
Thank you :cool:
I've seen quite a lot or those but there's still a fair lot I haven't :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom