Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GoggleBox?

So does everyone in it so far live together? I'm not surprised with Pete and Sophie, or Ellie and Izzy, plus the couples. However, do Jenny and Lee really share that mobile home?

The other pair who have come into their own recently are Dave and Shirley. They differed the other night on whether they could remember ever having a bath together.
From their banter it sounds like they formed a household out of lockdown by mixing in a spare room of the mobile home. Just a legal workaround.

Have they got some kind of deal with the BBC that they have to comment on Line of Duty every week? I've never seen it, but I seem to have picked up the general narrative from Gogglebox.

I'm glad the Malone dad finally made a derogatory comment about Prince Phil, which made up for the endless gushing about Brenda being lonely.

Have they got some kind of deal with the BBC that they have to comment on Line of Duty every week? I've never seen it, but I seem to have picked up the general narrative from Gogglebox.

I'm glad the Malone dad finally made a derogatory comment about Prince Phil, which made up for the endless gushing about Brenda being lonely.

Yeah, I don't feel like I need to watch LoD at all.

Actually I was relieved with the amount of time they devoted to the dead duke. If it had been a BBC programme the entire episode would probably have been about it.

I loved this weeks one, mainly because of it featuring Sex and the City. I would quite happily watch a whole series episode of Gogglebox watches SATC.

I mistook Tremaine, Twaine and Tristan from Gogglebox mum's funeral for a street party on Thursday and went to join in. In my defense, they were having a street party and had blocked the road to cars. It was only when we got in it that we realised it was a wake and made it look like we were going to the shop. I'd only gone out to vote.

I mistook Tremaine, Twaine and Tristan from Gogglebox mum's funeral for a street party on Thursday and went to join in. In my defense, they were having a street party and had blocked the road to cars. It was only when we got in it that we realised it was a wake and made it look like we were going to the shop. I'd only gone out to vote.

They were back last week, although I don't recall seeing the Siddiquis. Are they alright, or have I just forgotten their contribution?

So does everyone in it so far live together? I'm not surprised with Pete and Sophie, or Ellie and Izzy, plus the couples. However, do Jenny and Lee really share that mobile home?

The other pair who have come into their own recently are Dave and Shirley. They differed the other night on whether they could remember ever having a bath together.
I don't watch it, but I am aware of the show through work.
It's generally not 'real' as such (in that they don't just film a household watching telly all day every day). The shots and groups of people are set up for the shoot days and they are given specific shows (or rather specific parts of shows to watch). There is a crew in another room set up as a gallery. The goggleboxers are given general briefs and directed from the gallery. Even though featured content and desired reaction is already predetermined before filming there is still a shit tonne of footage and editing. It's apparently a nightmare and a bit of a toxic work environment.
Obviously things might have changed during the covids a bit, but nobody has to actually live with anyone, and (like come dine with me) sometimes it's not even their house.

They were back last week, although I don't recall seeing the Siddiquis. Are they alright, or have I just forgotten their contribution?
I don't have any insider knowledge on this but I believe Gogglebox is filmed on Thursdays which would explain why they weren't in this week.

Like The Grinch fucked Eeyore 😥
Telly innit. It's actually good production etiquette to figure out how a reality show will run before hand . . .
Contributors are heavily vetted and you should know roughly what you are aiming for and can bend with it, but (because TV) as much as the crew stick their ore in, it's always an absolute shambles in post even on some of the most established shows. I constantly astounds me.

US reality shows are even worse, just flippin' made up completely.

It's generally not 'real' as such (in that they don't just film a household watching telly all day every day). The shots and groups of people are set up for the shoot days and they are given specific shows (or rather specific parts of shows to watch). There is a crew in another room set up as a gallery. The goggleboxers are given general briefs and directed from the gallery. Even though featured content and desired reaction is already predetermined before filming there is still a shit tonne of footage and editing. It's apparently a nightmare and a bit of a toxic work environment.
Obviously things might have changed during the covids a bit, but nobody has to actually live with anyone, and (like come dine with me) sometimes it's not even their house.

Surely nobody thinks there's a camera set up all week to watch them watching telly every day? I thought they were pretty open about them being given stuff to watch. And most of it they'd have to watch before broadcast in order for the show to be edited within a week.

If they're told what to say, which is what you're implying, they're fucking fantastic at appearing natural. Don't know why you'd do that, though - most people watching TV say funny/interesting stuff worthy of five minutes on screen.

Surely nobody thinks there's a camera set up all week to watch them watching telly every day? I thought they were pretty open about them being given stuff to watch. And most of it they'd have to watch before broadcast in order for the show to be edited within a week.

If they're told what to say, which is what you're implying, they're fucking fantastic at appearing natural. Don't know why you'd do that, though - most people watching TV say funny/interesting stuff worthy of five minutes on screen.

I didn't say they were told what to say exactly, but they are 'directed', there will be coaching and retakes. They might have a reaction and be told to ramp it up, or go deeper into something they were talking about, asked to react or make a comment about a certain bit in a certain way, and may been given some interesting inside info to talk about.

If I write a documentary script in general I know how the whole show will play out, why I am interviewing people and what they should be saying. That might change a little on the day, but generally there are no surprises. Hells, when I used to interview MPs etc I'd often have to tell them what their stance on an issue was so that they could tell it back to me on camera . . . it's all bollocks. Don't get me started on the 'ghostwatch' or 'mystery' shows.

What I would say to the comment "most people watching TV say funny/interesting stuff worthy of five minutes on screen." . . is that that will not come anywhere thick and fast enough and of good enough quality to make a show out of in such a short turnaround. As I said, these people have been super auditioned, the clips discussed to some extent and there are several takes, even so, the amount of footage you have to edit down is supposed to be the stuff of legend.

But these shows are just about the characters. They probably just say the same things a million times and after a lot of coaxing (maybe less if they have been selected well) it's a wrap.

I have never worked on it, and I have not really watched it much so I it's impossible to comment on any specific people or moments.

Ye we all know they don't watch the programs as they are broadcast - example: Jemmy and Lee watching the 10 o'clock news and the sun is blaring through the window behind them - so they have chance to watch them in advance and think up reactions that will garner a good response and, as such, keep them on the show/payroll.

That won't stop me watching it.

I heard it discussed on a podcast.

They have a couple of lead people- Stephen and his husband are one - who they show the programmes too earlier in the week. If they had funny dialogue then they take those scenes and show it to the others later on, urging them to discuss certain aspects.

I'm pretty sure they don't show them whole films but edited scenes- things like LoD they probably encourage them to watch the whole series but get them to react to certain scenes whilst filming them.

Thats the way I think it works anyway.

It's apparently a nightmare and a bit of a toxic work environment.

There was an article in the Graun a couple of weeks ago, primarily about the Jeremy Kyle Show. Whilst it concentrated on the effects on the guests, it also mentioned how the runners and researchers were treated like shite, and it was mentioned Gogglebox has had similar accusations levelled at it.

There was an article in the Graun a couple of weeks ago, primarily about the Jeremy Kyle Show. Whilst it concentrated on the effects on the guests, it also mentioned how the runners and researchers were treated like shite, and it was mentioned Gogglebox has had similar accusations levelled at it.
Yes, but its certainly not limited to runners and researchers. I don't know how much I am allowed to say. . . .So probably best I don't.
I doubt it would be that interesting externally anyway. Last I heard it was being sorted and there was much joy, but if there wasn't the full follow through then that's not good.

Back
Top Bottom