Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Global financial system implosion begins

It's revealing that you were unable to respond to my post in your own words, and instead post a link from a right wing pro austerity think tank that actually contradicts what you yourself are asserting

"Rabbiting on"? "crap"? "ideology"? "right wing"? etc.

Unable, no. Unwilling, yes. You disqualify yourself from civil debate with your persistent Tourette Syndrome mode of expression, and are impossibly compromised by your political overlay of what is basic, time discounted actuarial data. You really leave people without any civil basis to engage with you, and any lack of response to your utterances should not surprise you.

What you posted in the quote from EPC clearly referred to the 2.2 trillion as a liability, I.e. one side of the equation which is required to work out what any deficit is

That you continually refer to this liability as a deficit shows that you don't even understand the quotes you are using to try and back up your 'point'

Simply put, you don't understand the basics of what you are trying to discuss

What you posted in the quote from EPC clearly referred to the 2.2 trillion as a liability, I.e. one side of the equation which is required to work out what any deficit is

That you continually refer to this liability as a deficit shows that you don't even understand the quotes you are using to try and back up your 'point'

Simply put, you don't understand the basics of what you are trying to discuss

1. Funding deficit is highly sensitive to estimates of growth rate (trillions/%)
2. Official figures habitually overestimated the growth rate in estimating pension funding even before the 2008 crash
3. The funding deficit is underestimated by trillions

I make no other point, and need defend no other point. Specifically, I have no need to engage in your misdirection attempt. There is simply no misdirection you could possibly mount that alters this basic structural fact of our pension system, with these population demographics, over these timescales.

Any political discomfort that point causes you disinterests me.

You don't understand the difference between a deficit and a liability

You don't understand that any changes in discount rates that are applied to future income/expenditure streams impact both sides of the equation, your persistent focus on the liability side only is misleading, ignorant and plain wrong

The whole point of discounting future cash flows to present value to get a Net Present Value is that you include cash flows in as well as out, anything less gives a meaningless figure, I.e. your 2.2/4 trillion

You don't understand that you can't look at a liability and call it a deficit

What you are saying is equivalent to saying that if you counted up the future payments you expect to make on a 25 year residential mortgage and discount them to present value, and then compare this liability to how much cash you have in the bank at this moment in time, then this figure represents a deficit, which is utter nonsense - what it actually represents is a meaningless number which in itself tells us nothing about the affordability or sustainability of that situation.

Here's a fun analogy for this situation using beer instead of oil energy and beer-tokens instead of money.

While barley harvests are good and hops are plentiful, pubs can issue beer tokens as they see fit. People use beer tokens to trade for other things, tobacco, food, cars, houses, etc. Employers even pay employees in beer tokens. Everybody uses beer tokens!

The pubs have all kinds of special promotions. One such is the "pie 'n' pint pension", where if you collect say, 10000 beer tokens, you qualify for a pie and a pint every day for life.

This scheme works well, as does the use of beer tokens for trading other goods. There are many more beer tokens in circulation than there is beer for sale, but nobody worries about this because not everybody goes to the pub at the same time and many folks are saving tokens for their pie 'n' pint pension.

All goes well until rising sea levels start to flood barley-growing areas and changing climate withers the hop crop. Beer becomes more scarce and expensive.

At first the pubs dismiss concerns of worried drinkers, saying this is just a temporary blip and beer will be bountiful once the farmers sort out their "production problem".

Unfortunately, as climate change continues, the problems get worse. Pubs continue to print beer tokens and create ever-more exotic offers for those who save up enough tokens. When the public starts to worry about beer shortages, they say they farmers will adapt to change by growing rice on the flooded land and that brewers will produce Saké instead of beer: everything will be fine. No need to panic!

Only later is it realised that rice won't grow in fields now flooded by salty, brackish water. It dawns on the public that the promised transition to a Saké-based economy with drinking-as-usual just ain't gonna happen.

By this time, beer is in very short supply and costs over 500 tokens a pint. People panic and rush to exchange the tokens they've been saving for their pie 'n' pint pensions: the pumps run dry. There are beer riots in every town.

With no beer (or Saké) available, life becomes pointless. Beer tokens are worthless. Civilisation collapses.

~

The integrity of the pie 'n' pint pension system and the beer token scheme in total, is dependent on the availability of beer.
This, in turn is dependent on a number of other factors, like the ability to grow (enough) barley and hops. Publicans call these factors "externalities" because they never really thought about them before, as they have nothing to do with selling beer, issuing beer tokens or creating pie-'n'-pint-for-life schemes.

Life expectancy has risen. The proportion of people aged 65 and over will rise from 13% on 1971 to 22% by 2031, while the number of people of working age will fall by the same amount. The number of people of working age supporting each pensioner has fallen from 9 in 1926 to 3, and is still falling.
as I said earlier, I was writing geography essays about this in middle school, then again at GCSE, A level and degree level, so I'm well aware of these sort of facts and figures, and they inform my viewpoint on this.

I don't think it is true to say that pension issues will automatically sort themselves out. I think it is true to say that demographics automatically compounds the primary problem of collapsing tax take, and bond and stock yields.
I quite carefully didn't say that. I said it would 'pretty much' sort 'the majority' of these problems out.

As in, it would sort out the shock horror figures out that you're supplying on this thread, and leave a situation that's more feasibly managed through gradual increases in the retirement age, increases in NI contributions and similar policies.

The "middle" of? Under what circumstances do you perceive there to be an "end" of this recession, to which a "middle" can be related?

"Recession", in its conventional use, is intended to convey a sense of temporary departure from some higher norm. I don't think that describes the economic situation in which we now find ourselves i.e. a radical departure from historical trends, driven by fundamental changes in the underlying resource base.
Under the circumstances where the government policy gets turned on its head, and some sort of Marshall plan of investment to stimulate the economy takes affect. Obviously this may not happen, our politicians may continue the current disasterous policies, but I'm reasonably sure that at some point sense will prevail once their ideas have been proven to be utterly wrong so clearly that even the politicians are forced to change tack (one way or another).

As stated many times, I don't agree with your analysis of the situation regarding peak oil etc. I see it as a major hinderence to any economic recovery, but certainly not as something that actually prevents a recovery being even remotely possible given the right set of policies being put in place. Particularly as I see the necessary methods for coping with this reduction in energy availability themselves being a massive economic stimulus, so the 2 things go hand in hand... ie we can't transition to a low carbon, low energy intensity economy without minimum hundreds of thousands of new jobs being created in the UK to make it happen, as energy efficiency and renewable energy measures are of a very distributed nature mainly, and require input in terms of people hours working in homes and workplaces across the country to put them in place. Any economic benefit from these measures therefore should be relatively well distributed across the country, and capable of supplying employment in employment black spots etc rather than just in the city of London, or other places that don't really need the economic stimulus.

tbf though, I'm of the opinion that the recession caused by the markets crash in 2007-8 has now been turned into a depression* directly by current tory / coalition policies, but other countries have got their GDP back to 2007 levels, so there's no logical reason that we couldn't also do this with the correct policies, and leadership.

If it were the case that we are at the start of a permanent contraction, or even a future growth rate which is lower than the historical one that solvency is predicated on, rather than the middle of a recession, wouldn't it be reasonable to assert that a system conceived on an assumption of permanent growth and now, through demographic changes, dependent on an even higher rate i.e. the UK pension system - is insolvent?
your logic here is fine, I've no problem with it. If this were the case, then yes we'd be well and truly fucked as I said earlier, but it's only that way if we make it that way... we also have the choice of putting in place policies to get us out of this depression, and stimulate the economic growth necessary to at least reduce the scale of the problems to more manageable levels. I prefer to concentrate on the latter instead of the former, as no good can come from focusing on the worst case scenario while talking down any possibility of avoiding it.

*or at least will be referred to in future as a depression period.

Here's a fun analogy for this situation using beer instead of oil and beer-tokens instead of money.
the problem with simplistic analogies is that they're simplistic whereas the real situation is highly complex, essentially chaotic with a massive number of different variables coming together to create the whole of a nations and / or the global economy.

As a fun analogy, It's a little like the few climatologists in the 60's who wrongly assumed the world was facing a global cooling period because they expected the solar irradiation levels to reduce. They jumped to conclusions based on partial data about one single element that impacted on a highly complex chaotic system, and were rapidly proved wrong once the other variables were analysed in detail and it became clear that we were actually facing a significant long term warming trend caused by one factor they'd ignored that had been temporarily masked by another factor they'd not considered.

Just spotted this:
Hall and his colleagues estimated that energy supplies with an EROI of at least 12 to 13 were required to support the trappings of modern developed nations, such as higher education, technological progress, and high art. Oil and gas production in the United States may have already fallen below that threshold, the paper says, and global production appears to be following fast. 

The implications, according to Prieto and Hall, are sobering. In fact, Prieto believes he is already witnessing economic decline caused, in part, by petroleum's dwindling EROI. He sees it manifested in Spain's debt crisis. "Energy is the ability to do work. If we do not have more energy one year than the preceding year, we will hardly be able to grow," he says. "And, if there is no growth, the financial system collapses.

Fed Undertakes QE3 With $40 Billion Monthly MBS Purchases
Bloomberg 2012-09-13
The Federal Reserve said it will expand its holdings of long-term securities with open-ended purchases of $40 billion of mortgage debt a month in a third round of quantitative easing as it seeks to boost growth and reduce unemployment.
"$40 billion of mortgage debt a month" but for how long?

Britain's richest 5% gained most from quantitative easing – Bank of England
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 23 August 2012
The richest 10% of households in Britain have seen the value of their assets increase by up to £322,000 as a result of the Bank of England's attempts to use electronic money creation to lift the economy out of its deepest post-war slump.

Threadneedle Street said that wealthy families had been the biggest beneficiaries of its £375bn quantitative-easing (QE) programme, under which it has been buying government gilts for cash since early 2009.
Taking from the poor and giving to the rich.

saw an article in the FT today that reminded me of Falcon's approach to pension liabilities further up on this thread

It is more than 30 years since I first attended a conference on the global welfare crisis. Rarely have a few months passed without an invitation to another. Last week, Tom Palmer, the American libertarian, came to London to denounce the “world-straddling engine of theft, degradation, manipulation and social control we call the welfare state”.

The content of these rants is familiar. Levels of welfare provision are unaffordable; government finance is a huge Ponzi scheme. A common conclusion is to provide an estimate of the discounted value of the cost of some hated item of expenditure if its current provision were continued into the indefinite future. Mr Palmer reported that the present value of unfunded liabilities of US medicine and social security is $137tn.
One day, the world will end and the last generation of workers will have been cheated of their expectation of a peaceful retirement. In the meantime it is possible to calculate enormous measures of unfunded obligations, and it doesn’t matter. The value of these obligations is offset by the implied commitments of future generations.
Exaggeration can sometimes be forgiven when it is used to draw attention to a problem that has received insufficient attention. It is less easy to excuse when it threatens the fragile social arrangements on which economic security depends

thing is, falcons position on pensions does make a warped kind of sense as a logical progression from his position of the economy being terminally fucked by the rapid decline in global energy supply he predicts, along with climate change impacts.

I think essentially when he talking about 50 years of unfunded liaiblities etc he genuinely believes that we simply won't be able to fund those liabilities from our future severely shrunken economy.

I'm not saying I agree with his position, just pointing out that there at least is some logic to it even if I believe the logic is based on a several fallacies and therefore the position is wrong.

Dunno what thread to put this in, but:

3rd headline on BBC - "Economy shrank less than thought", source ONS.

1st headline on Guardian - "Britain in the red by £20.8bn", source ONS. (this is the worst ever btw)

Jokes. But not really. :(

Just have a wee look at what's happening to the Chinese economy.. and be very, very, afraid.

I've been following economic commentators on China since 1995 and people have predicting that its going to blow up for most of that period. So I'm a little sceptical about doomsayers about the Chinese economy.

You might be right. But I am sceptical. Max Keiser has been saying some interesting things about competitive devaluations between the dollar and the yuan and the prospects for American inflation recently. But I am beginning to doubt him as well.

Been some good economic figures recently. Inflation down, unemployment down, probable coming out of double dip. Also the Eurozone countries strenthening their commitments to support each other's economies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20005100

Are we over the worst now and the financial system is safe?

Unemployment hasn't really fallen though, it's mostly self-employment (which may or may not be real, sustainable jobs) and people on government workfare or training schemes, and 69% of jobs created in the past year have been part time so the increasing employment won't have the same effect. Number of hours worked is down month on month still.
Inflation is slowing which is good but it's still above average wage increases and food and fuel are still rising far faster than inflation overall which is very bad for anyone on benefits / low pay.
Plus cuts in government spending increase next year and will keep increasing onto 2015, and the deficit is rising..

Personally I don't feel very hopeful, but it should also be recognised that in Birmingham and the West Midlands unemployment is continuing to rise so my experience is out of step with the rest of England (Scotland and I think Wales also still have rising unemployment)

tom - have you got a link to the stats showing the number of hours worked?

umm.. it was somewhere in all the articles following the recent unemployment figures, I'll see if I can find it, more likely to have been mentioned in an article though than the actual stats, but I assume ONS will have them if you can find it on their website.

tom - have you got a link to the stats showing the number of hours worked?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=YBUS&dataset=lms&table-id=7

ok looks like they took a quarterly figure to get the fall though it may be the stat I saw was an average hours worked rather than a total, but:

2012 FEB 930.1
2012 MAR 930.3
2012 APR 939.1
2012 MAY 934.7
2012 JUN 934.9
2012 JUL 936.5

That's total numbers of hours worker per week (millions). A quick glance shows the peak was 2008 FEB 949.3, for pre-recession reference. Or actually may be they included August/Sept.. anyway, late and I'm off out so can't see if there's a more recent data set.

I've been following economic commentators on China since 1995 and people have predicting that its going to blow up for most of that period. So I'm a little sceptical about doomsayers about the Chinese economy.

You might be right. But I am sceptical. Max Keiser has been saying some interesting things about competitive devaluations between the dollar and the yuan and the prospects for American inflation recently. But I am beginning to doubt him as well.

I think the "facts on the ground" about the Chinese economy speak a lot more loudly than :
a) the extraordinarily optimistic claims since 2008 by innumerable bourgeois economists that both China in particular and the "BRIC" "Developing" economies generally can or have in some magical way "decoupled" themselves from the unending current post 2008 death spiral of Western capitalism, and can lead the world back to prosperity
OR
b) the claim that the Chinese (neoliberal stalinists !!!) have in some way managed to overcome the almost entirely "workshop of the world" export orientation of their economy, such as to in a few years create a vast new internal market to keep both their domestic growth rates on track - AND provide a booming new market for OUR goods !

These are all fantasy ideas -- boosted by the extremely dubious statistics the Chinese government has always produced. But the existence of all those empty new speculative development "ghost" cities , and the millions of other empty commercial premises, all over China - built as a particularly crazy part of the Chinese economic stimulus bubble following 2008, provide the true picture of the profound crisis in the Chinese economy.

There is no "Chinese white knight" coming over the horizon to soak up the surplus production being churned out by Europe .. due to the ever falling demand of the European domestic market, as "austerity" measures push us ever faster into a 1930's style economic death dive.

Make no mistake, the world economy has lurched from unrestricted neo liberalist speculative boom into a crazed neoliberalist Long Depression - still powereed by the crazed ideology of Hayek economics which believes that the "invisible hand" of market economics will "sort it all out".. eventually. Nope, what lies ahead is a whole series of authoritarian military/fascist regimes and revolutionery resistance - not some painless return to stability and prosperity. The next indicator of this growing death spiral will include the collapse of vulnerable segments of the world car market .. Renault is the current weak link about to implode . And of course massive social unrest in China.. in fact its already started, with periodic mass riots across China by impoverished (second class citizen) migrant workers from the countryside happening throughout 2011/12.

I think the "facts on the ground" about the Chinese economy speak a lot more loudly than :
a) the extraordinarily optimistic claims since 2008 by innumerable bourgeois economists that both China in particular and the "BRIC" "Developing" economies generally can or have in some magical way "decoupled" themselves from the unending current post 2008 death spiral of Western capitalism, and can lead the world back to prosperity

You've completely moved the goalposts. You introduced the Chinese economy as a factor in the global economy that was set to implode and pull down the rest of the world economy with it. I expressed scepticism at that view. You then seemed to assume that I was arguing the opposite extreme, ie that the Chinese economy would ride in as the "Chinese white knight" to act as an engine of the world economy. I didn't say or imply that at all.

OR
b) the claim that the Chinese (neoliberal stalinists !!!) have in some way managed to overcome the almost entirely "workshop of the world" export orientation of their economy, such as to in a few years create a vast new internal market to keep both their domestic growth rates on track - AND provide a booming new market for OUR goods !

The Chinese economy is less export oriented than it used to be. Lots of infrastructure going in, lots of domestic market demand. While not enough to soak up all the world's suplus goods production there is a very good chance that it is enough to avoid a catastrophic economic collapse.

These are all fantasy ideas -- boosted by the extremely dubious statistics the Chinese government has always produced. But the existence of all those empty new speculative development "ghost" cities , and the millions of other empty commercial premises, all over China - built as a particularly crazy part of the Chinese economic stimulus bubble following 2008, provide the true picture of the profound crisis in the Chinese economy.

Collapsing real estate bubbles are nothing new in Chinese there have been ghost cities and the collapse of property speculation trends every few years for the past quarter of a century. The macro-economic managers in China have been getting more and more skilled at deflating bubbles in such a way to avoid social unrest. This was one of the lessons they learnt from Tiananmen.

And of course massive social unrest in China.. in fact its already started, with periodic mass riots across China by impoverished (second class citizen) migrant workers from the countryside happening throughout 2011/12.

Again nothing new and the Chinese state are experts at dealing with it.

Back
Top Bottom