Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glasgow in Jan. Feb. Mar...I been putting this off :D

Clockwork. It's :cool: Battlefield also has Queens Park (lovely- the Queens Park Cafe does the best ice-cream), and Battlefield Rest, which is a brilliant wee trattoria.

Everything everyone has said above really, Tchai-Ovna on Otago Lane is one of my fave places in the world, though since they're building a honking big block of flats by it the garden is no longer a lovely sun trap :( Tinderbox and Beanscene are great cafe chains in the west end and town, if a little on the pricey side.

Left Bank on Gibson St. does great food, nice for a posh-ish lunch. The Wee Curry shop on Byres road does the best curry this side of, well, India, and Tribeca at the bottom of Byres road does the best breakfasts in the world. FACT.

Basement bar on Byres road is a cool wee pub, play a lot of breaks and weird stuff the likes of which you tend not to her in bars up here. Nude on Ashton Lane does good cocktails but is a bit poncey for my scruffy tastes. Universal on Sauchiehall Lane in town does good food and apparently has a DnB night which I really should investigate at some point.

For cool wee shops, tehre's loads around the west end, and Kings court in town by the 13th Note.

I'm in the west end, and know it like the back of my hand :) Cause the West has the Uni and such, it's a lot more affluent than the East end, which has it's fair share of social problems (not that the west is Shangri-La, but...)

Already I'm missing my wee Bank St flat :(

i moved from glasgow to london last november and i have to say although i love london, i miss glasgow like crazy!!!!

good pub in the merchant City is 13th Note - down beside King's Square - good rock pub, decent prices and food, for grown ups in stead of trendy hang outs like Solid Rock -
plus there's a pub just up the road a bit but i can't remember its name just now, that used to be quite good for a lunchtime pint but be warned, the owners can be a bit crabby sometimes so no rowdyness until a more appropriate hour

good place to eat is Gandolfi's in the North side of the Merchant City (can you tell i used to work in the Merchant City?)
i'm not being bias, its a bit pricy but the food is amazing and Seamus, the owner is lovely

and go to Ad Lib for the best burgers in town!! they do a cajun chicken one with manga salsa which i'd kick small puppies for if i was offered one....seriously, they're so good, i'd almost came in my pants whenever i had one.....sigh....i miss those burgers... :(

good wee pub in the centre of town is the Pot Still, which is full of old glaswegian guys drinking pints and other lucky locals!! its not the same since Frank the Barman left for Oran Mor *shakes fist* but its still a good pub for a quiet pint or a few noisy ones on a friday/saturday night ;)

just down the road and round the corner from central station is Dino's, not sure if they'll have updated the decor but the menu's haven't changed from when they were first laminated but the service is amazing, ask for Antonio the waiter, and the food is one of the best italians on that side of town
i always used to get lasagne and chips :D

personally, i wouldn't bother with the west end, its all just trendy chains with no real character, get down the east end and the saltmarket for some real glasgow banter!!!!

Ad Lib is indeed great and Dino's is still the same. Doubt that place will ever change!

Oh how I miss Glasgow already!

Although over the years The Brunswick Cellars has been getting progressivly better lit but craper pub the last time I was in Glasgow they hadn't removed all the charm that it once had many moons ago.

Likewise slezies and the varietbar all on Sauchihall street like the Brunswick cellars are all good.

i
good wee pub in the centre of town is the Pot Still, which is full of old glaswegian guys drinking pints and other lucky locals!! its not the same since Frank the Barman left for Oran Mor *shakes fist* but its still a good pub for a quiet pint or a few noisy ones on a friday/saturday night ;)

I love that place. you go in and everyone is kind of 'anaesthetised' as they have been drinking so much whisky. :cool:

was up in glasgow for the long weekend but never made it to the pot still...could cry just thinking about it :(

are there loads of glaswegians in london? anyone up for a meet-up?

plus, does anyone know what's happening on the A scene up in glasgow? cept for the stall on buchanan street i can't find anything!!!!!

well, after my intrepid adventure down london town for a year looks like i'm heading back to glasgow in time for the winter!!

anyone fancy a pint or two? not sure when i'll be back exactly but looks like start of november just now :)

Back
Top Bottom