Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glasgow in Jan. Feb. Mar...I been putting this off :D

MightyAphrodite

rosebud
R.I.P.
What IS Glasgow like in say Jan. Feb. Mar. weather wise?

Also, besides king tuts wah wah hut etc etc where are some good pretty much unknown places to go?

Well not unknown, but not all BLAHHHHHHHRRRHHHHH like king tuts et. al.

Also, have any of you been students at the Arts School there?

If so what was your experience like?

Sorry for so many questions!

Just any good advice about Glasgow that ain't commercial, would be appreciated.

Ta in advance. :)

"oh is it cold out here, let me warm that, err i mean you up a bit"
:p
i know your game missus

Its bloody freezing, and grey. Quite a bit of rain too. Unfortunately I was deemed not creative enough to study at the School of Art, so I enjoyed the steep hills of Strathclyde Uni instead.

"Unknown" places, hmm. Buff Club on Bath Lane is usually a good night and is quite wee. Mono on King's Arcade is quite good also. Can't think of anymore just now, but I'll come back when I can.

Yeah Mono is good, it has a record shop inside so you can buy music while pissed. The devious bastards.

Its bloody freezing, and grey. Quite a bit of rain too. Unfortunately I was deemed not creative enough to study at the School of Art, so I enjoyed the steep hills of Strathclyde Uni instead.

"Unknown" places, hmm. Buff Club on Bath Lane is usually a good night and is quite wee. Mono on King's Arcade is quite good also. Can't think of anymore just now, but I'll come back when I can.

quite wee is what im talkin about :cool:....thanks sweetie x....

yeah come back when you remember more!

btw...YOU not creative enough?!!! :eek: pah!!!

Yeah Mono is good, it has a record shop inside so you can buy music while pissed. The devious bastards.

oh, i DO like the sound of that too!!! :oops:

another vote for mono. also 13th note which is on king street, 78 on kevinhaugh street, nice and sleazys on sauchiehall street, flying duck club on renfield street, stereo on renfield lane.

another vote for mono. also 13th note which is on king street, 78 on kevinhaugh street, nice and sleazys on sauchiehall street, flying duck club on renfield street, stereo on renfield lane.

ive been to nice n sleazys and i did enjoy, a lot :D....

the others sound good too....thanks....keep em comin' im makin a list :) x

chips from the kings cafe on elmbank street
asia style at st georges cross for yummy oriental food

The Sub Club is nice and small and happening.

ta... noted :)...

i know NOTHING about the place other than the places i was dragged to a couple of years ago by my mate and his mates, but he lives in Edinburgh and is of no help whatsoever (some weird east/west thing he goes onabout, which i also dont know about :hmm: :D )

quite wee is what im talkin about :cool:....thanks sweetie x....

yeah come back when you remember more!

btw...YOU not creative enough?!!! :eek: pah!!!

oh, i DO like the sound of that too!!! :oops:

Most of the ones I'd remembered have been mentioned, 13th Note and the Sub Club are ace.

Sleazys hasn't been as good since they done it up, I liked the ramshackle charm of the sticky floors and torn seats.

Also, can't believe I forgot the Butterfly and Pig which is below the Buff Club on Bath Street.

I quite like Firewater on Sauchiehall Street, but some may find it a bit not as good as the others mentioned.

(and not getting into art school worked out in the end, realised i didn't really want to be an architect but that's another story altogether)

Most of the ones I'd remembered have been mentioned, 13th Note and the Sub Club are ace.

Sleazys hasn't been as good since they done it up, I liked the ramshackle charm of the sticky floors and torn seats.

Also, can't believe I forgot the Butterfly and Pig which is below the Buff Club on Bath Street.

I quite like Firewater on Sauchiehall Street, but some may find it a bit not as good as the others mentioned.

(and not getting into art school worked out in the end, realised i didn't really want to be an architect but that's another story altogether)

thanks love :cool: x

loads to chew on there. :)

What IS Glasgow like in say Jan. Feb. Mar. weather wise?

Also, besides king tuts wah wah hut etc etc where are some good pretty much unknown places to go?

Well not unknown, but not all BLAHHHHHHHRRRHHHHH like king tuts et. al.

Also, have any of you been students at the Arts School there?

If so what was your experience like?

I was a student at the art school there, about ten years ago now.

It was good. The Art School Union (known as the Vic Bar) is much better than your average student union and worth going to in its own right on a weekend night. I had many a fun night in there. *nostalgia sets in*

Why do you ask? Are you thinking of studying there or something?

As for places to go... I could suggest a few but my recommendations might be a few years out of date I'm afraid.

West End has a nice bar called Oran Mor that has a mural by Alisdair Gray upstairs - it's in an old church and is lovely inside. It's on the great West Rd - if you walk down it towards the centre of town and do a right onto:

Otago St has Chai Ovna on it which was started by some people while I was there and is based on the idea of Czech tea shops - they have them like we have fucking Starbucks over here :D They do all sorts of tea - huge menu of it and food and used to have a little garden and games and stuff - it was just a quiet place to be. I haven't been for about 6 years though so it's probably a Starbucks now ;) It may also be a bit studenty...ahem.
There used to be second hand book/record shops on the way down to it.

Round the corner on Gibson st is Stravaigan which does good food and is kind of "nice". Gets rammed on weekends. Mainly cos it's tiny.

Continue up Gibson st to Uisge Beatha on Woodlands. That pub used to be ace - stuffed animal heads everywhere and all the whiskies in the world. They had repainted the outside an alarming purple last time I saw it.

You'll cross over the Kelvin and if you go down you can walk along it to the Botanic Gardens which essentially brings you back to Oran Mor. The Kelvingrove Park to the right is fab and has a wonderful museum in it which is dead close to Argyle st that walks you into town.

In town there's loads but it's changed a lot since I was last there plus I suck at the south side because I was a poncey student who never went there :oops:
Although Glasgow Green has a great pub that brews its own in a massive old textiles factory.

In town there's loads but it's changed a lot since I was last there plus I suck at the south side because I was a poncey student who never went there :oops:

Probably because there's not much in the south side worth making the journey for (Says a southsider - ouch that hurt admitting that!)

Although Glasgow Green has a great pub that brews its own in a massive old textiles factory.

Clockwork. It's :cool: Battlefield also has Queens Park (lovely- the Queens Park Cafe does the best ice-cream), and Battlefield Rest, which is a brilliant wee trattoria.

Everything everyone has said above really, Tchai-Ovna on Otago Lane is one of my fave places in the world, though since they're building a honking big block of flats by it the garden is no longer a lovely sun trap :( Tinderbox and Beanscene are great cafe chains in the west end and town, if a little on the pricey side.

Left Bank on Gibson St. does great food, nice for a posh-ish lunch. The Wee Curry shop on Byres road does the best curry this side of, well, India, and Tribeca at the bottom of Byres road does the best breakfasts in the world. FACT.

Basement bar on Byres road is a cool wee pub, play a lot of breaks and weird stuff the likes of which you tend not to her in bars up here. Nude on Ashton Lane does good cocktails but is a bit poncey for my scruffy tastes. Universal on Sauchiehall Lane in town does good food and apparently has a DnB night which I really should investigate at some point.

For cool wee shops, tehre's loads around the west end, and Kings court in town by the 13th Note.

I'm in the west end, and know it like the back of my hand :) Cause the West has the Uni and such, it's a lot more affluent than the East end, which has it's fair share of social problems (not that the west is Shangri-La, but...)

Probably because there's not much in the south side worth making the journey for (Says a southsider - ouch that hurt admitting that!)

Ouch!

Well it's a lot cheaper and a bit less "ladidah" down there as far as I heard but I like the wanky parts of Glasgow too as much as the others! I think it has a wonderful mix in a small area plus you're not far from the countryside.

I miss it but that was a totally different life really.

Back
Top Bottom