Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glasgow Equal Pay Dispute

19force8

For the avoidance of faith
I must admit I hadn't been following this until the big strike last week:

Glasgow strike: union told it faces legal action over 'illegal pickets'

Absolutely brilliant in so many ways - women standing up - empowerment through strike action - flying pickets bringing out other workers - "carnival atmosphere" - etc.

Despite all that, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why Glasgow? and why now? (as a member of the GMB I'm aware they have a pretty shitty history on this score) but there's fair comment/criticism and then there's this:

GMB – a Cockney Clique

Which includes the following passages:
Trade unions are a source of cooperation and community. They exist to achieve wage equality. Their function is to protect workers against economic vicissitude. According to fascist policy – which we see arising everywhere in the UK and abroad – unions must be smashed to render workers isolated, prepared to accept whatever is offered.

In Part 1 of Mein Kampf Hitler attacks unions over an over again. Unions are fascism’s Public Enemy Number 1. He went further. He accused ‘The Jew’ of gradually assuming leadership of the trade union movement. Hitler wanted a blindly obedient fighting force loyal only to the national leader of government.

Whether or not Wolfson is intellectually aware of Hitler’s outlook is unknown but she is certainly commendably assiduous in condemning anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, however, Labour’s travails over its alleged anti-Semitism isn’t for this essay.
Wolfson is Rhea Wolfson, the GMB officer for the strikers and a prominent Jewish member of the Labour Party.

It goes on:
We do not ostracise unions in Scotland, we encourage their participation, but note I am talking about indigenous unions not English orientated unions carrying the flag of British nationalism and its agenda.
Just fucking hell!

Back
Top Bottom