Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General non league chat, match reports, photos etc

Remember that. New Investors came in and promptly fired him! Then again recalling the days of Mike Bateson and Algeron, his ventriloquist dummy, nothing much about that club surprised me.

I'm certain it's happened more than once, but can't remember which clubs or managers. (I'm surprised it didn't happen last year at Dover!)
Can’t think of a manager, but as a player Didi Hamann joined Bolton on a free one summer but then immediately (next day) left to go Man City.

Can’t think of a manager, but as a player Didi Hamann joined Bolton on a free one summer but then immediately (next day) left to go Man City.
Clive Allen famously joined Arsenal for a large fee from QPR one summer, then was transferred to Palace in exchange for Kenny Sansom before the start of the season. I think he appeared in a solitary pre-season match away to Aberdeen!

Clive Allen famously joined Arsenal for a large fee from QPR one summer, then was transferred to Palace in exchange for Kenny Sansom before the start of the season. I think he appeared in a solitary pre-season match away to Aberdeen!
There was one from that era that was pre-arranged wasn’t there? Don’t think that one. But I’m sure I remember a thing where Club A knew Club B wouldn’t sell to them so got Club C to buy the player and flip to them. And all were London clubs.

Edit. Reading up on it, I think it was this one. I think QPR wouldn’t sell to Palace. So Arsenal, who wanted Sansom, wangled things. Sure someone will correct if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
David Unsworth another - left West Ham to Villa but then quickly changed his mind and arranged a move back to Everton for the same fee.

Reminded me of Joey Beauchamp (god rest) too, signed for West Ham but left a couple of months later that summer for Swindon. A sad tale according to Wiki, both the transfer and afters.

David Unsworth another - left West Ham to Villa but then quickly changed his mind and arranged a move back to Everton for the same fee.

Reminded me of Joey Beauchamp (god rest) too, signed for West Ham but left a couple of months later that summer for Swindon. A sad tale according to Wiki, both the transfer and afters.
Remember that one. Family didn’t settle in London or Birmingham I think…?

Remember that. New Investors came in and promptly fired him! Then again recalling the days of Mike Bateson and Algeron, his ventriloquist dummy, nothing much about that club surprised me.

Oi, less of the past tense! :D

The new investor turned out to be a delusional lunatic with no money whose mother was a Czechoslovakian spy.

After 45 years supporting Torquay, I can tell you nothing about our club surprises me either.

Yeah Unsworth wanted to return north anyway, but the story goes Unsworth's wife didn't like the M6 commute from Birmingham to Liverpool still; excerpts from John Gregory's book here, complete with comedy (sorry) local paper sad looking Villa kid with Unsworth shirt David Unsworth and Aston Villa's most ridiculous transfer twist

6 days!
Haha. There’s no way that shirt is the kid’s, it’s about XXXL!!
It’s probably worth a few quid now. Can’t have been many made….

Looking at the entry criteria it doesn’t actually specify “fan owned” though of course the English representatives have usually fulfilled that requirement. Don’t want to post the whole from the bumpf from their website (click here for that) but it does mention “best practice”. Not quite sure Wallop & Hurt’em qualified on that after the treatment of some of their recent managers. Must admit I’m surprised Clapton CFC haven’t entered, I’ll have to ask next time I’m down there.

Interesting thanks.

Whilst I actually have some sympathy with them re the management change, it was aimed at being more financially viable moving forwards*, I'd agree they seem an odd choice. " Exceptional social, historical.ad cultural distinctiveness." Hmm.

W&H are very active online and have built up a substantial foreign fanbase. It looks like a pragmatic decision to crowbar in a club who will generate the tournament substantial international publicity.

Good luck to them though, I hope they enjoy it..

* Assuming the T&C's remain the same the bar, catering money etc at the venue the club rent goes to the management company, not the hirer. Some of the group of lads who famously bought in have left. Those remaining, assuming their statements are true, reached the point where they were no longer prepared to keep increasing the money they were losing every month.

Must admit I’m surprised Clapton CFC haven’t entered, I’ll have to ask next time I’m down there.
There must be considerable costs involved, which I believe is the reason Lewes haven't entered. Although they're "fan owned" they were heavily dependent upon two directors sticking in £600k a year, and those directors recently pulled out. (Enfield are obviously competing at a higher level and probably want to focus on establishing themselves in National South.)

Interesting thanks.

Whilst I actually have some sympathy with them re the management change, it was aimed at being more financially viable moving forwards*, I'd agree they seem an odd choice. " Exceptional social, historical.ad cultural distinctiveness." Hmm.

W&H are very active online and have built up a substantial foreign fanbase. It looks like a pragmatic decision to crowbar in a club who will generate the tournament substantial international publicity.

Good luck to them though, I hope they enjoy it..

* Assuming the T&C's remain the same the bar, catering money etc at the venue the club rent goes to the management company, not the hirer. Some of the group of lads who famously bought in have left. Those remaining, assuming their statements are true, reached the point where they were no longer prepared to keep increasing the money they were losing every month.
The organisers probably wanted a third English club after Enfield Town and Lewes both dropped out. (I think there were only 12 participants last season, and now it's 16.) Maybe they were just the best/first to put themselves forward? At the supporters forum in May, Ben and Hak both said they would be up for it if we were deemed eligible, but I suspect others had already put themselves forward by then.

There must be considerable costs involved, which I believe is the reason Lewes haven't entered. Although they're "fan owned" they were heavily dependent upon two directors sticking in £600k a year, and those directors recently pulled out. (Enfield are obviously competing at a higher level and probably want to focus on establishing themselves in National South.)

The organisers probably wanted a third English club after Enfield Town and Lewes both dropped out. (I think there were only 12 participants last season, and now it's 16.) Maybe they were just the best/first to put themselves forward? At the supporters forum in May, Ben and Hak both said they would be up for it if we were deemed eligible, but I suspect others had already put themselves forward by then.

We were invited. They delayed announcing the teams to wait for our decision. A team from Montenegro is very happy that we didn't accept (again). This time due to insufficient number of players wishing to participate. A real shame. This is just the kind of tournament that a progressive community club should grasp imo. The players should be willing to make sacrifices such as this (e.g. an all expenses paid trip to Milan if qualifying for finals weekend) if they wish to play for the Hamlet.

The format this year is a two legged last (first?!) 16 in the autumn and a two legged quarter final in the spring followed by semis/final weekend in second bank holiday in May. So it would mean two Euro trips that they would need to travel for.

Last edited:
Don't know much about this competition.

If your coded reply was more straightforward, are you saying one of the participating clubs is not aligned with the ethics of our club? If this is the case then I would not wish our club to enter a competition that could put players, official and supporters in any danger!

Don't know much about this competition.

If your coded reply was more straightforward, are you saying one of the participating clubs is not aligned with the ethics of our club? If this is the case then I would not wish our club to enter a competition that could put players, official and supporters in any danger!

The team from Montenegro were given our spot. They are happy we didn't respond, as they can take the spot reserved for us. Nothing to do with what you are reading into it. Their FA have offered them the national stadium to play the matches.

The team from Montenegro were given our spot. They are happy we didn't respond, as they can take the spot reserved for us. Nothing to do with what you are reading into it. Their FA have offered them the national stadium to play the matches.
Fair play, thanks for clearing this up. I'll stand down now 😁

Fans United are from the Montenegrin third tier & a gubbins set up, strange invitation. Zabjelo from Podgorica seem to fit the demographic of this tournament much better.

If you remember the bonkers shit show that was MyFootballClub and made the club formerly known as Gravesend & Northfleet a laughing stock around football then you’ll get an idea of the sort of club Fans United is. Yes, it’s one where subscribers can apparently “decide about almost all the things at the club” via voting on the app. Unfortunately the website isn’t clear as to what you’ll be voting on. You’ll have to sign up with your €10 a month to find out.

Not quite non league but...

The German pink second kit has been confirmed as their best selling second kit ever. It suffered from the usual nonsense being shouted about pink kits at point of launch but has gone on to be a big success. By the time Germany were knocked out of the Euros, it was all but impossible to find in shops. Total sales are expected to be three times the forecast.

How would I know? I was just sharing my knowledge of that level and a couple of clubs that play in that league.

Well, you demonstrated a knowledge of Montenegro football scene beyond many (all?) here, which indicated you may have a deeper knowledge of the local football scene or Fenix Trophy. I apologise for assuming this! I feel suitably admonished.

Older fans will remember visiting Banstead Athletic (and trying not to freeze to death even on sunny days if I remember correctly.). Sadly they have moved out to Chessington & Hook for the coming season. The death of their Chairman has left their future at the old ground uncertain.

Back
Top Bottom