Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General non league chat, match reports, photos etc

editor

hiraethified
Thought it might be good to have a thread about other non league teams of interest.

Here's some photos from Balham FC's game on Weds. Anyone been? Looks a pretty good set up.

Photo report: Balham FC lose to unbeaten Welling Town at home, Weds 16th Sept 2020

Photo report: Balham FC lose to unbeaten Welling Town at home, Weds 16th Sept 2020

Thought it might be good to have a thread about other non league teams of interest.

Here's some photos from Balham FC's game on Weds. Anyone been? Looks a pretty good set up.
I hadn't realised Balham were groundsharing there. It's certainly a lot closer to Balham than Colliers Wood.

The Hamlet used to be regular visitors to Croydon Athletic during the previous decade, before the original Croydon Athletic folded in 2011. The ground itself is decent, having been improved piecemeal over several decades with cover on all four sides with a functional but large main stand providing the centrepiece, but the location is terrible. I haven't been since a very wet Saturday afternoon in December 2006. It's about a quarter of a mile down an unlit potholed track from the nearest street. Unless the access has been improved it's not really fit for purpose and all but one local cab firms refused to drop off or pick up fares from the club due to the terrible surface in those days. It reached the point where I would only go for matches that would be completed in daylight hours rather than risk a broken ankle or a shoe full of water. I missed our last three visits which were all for evening matches.

It's certainly a lot closer to Balham than Colliers Wood.

Three stops on the Northern Line? Colliers Wood always seemed to make sense to me.

EDIT: Colliers Wood FC is very much not in Colliers Wood is it. I stand corrected!

Last edited:
EDIT: Colliers Wood FC is very much not in Colliers Wood is it. I stand corrected!
I think it's on the Kingston By-pass on the far side of Wimbledon Common, a long way from any train station. That's one ground I've never been to even though it's relatively local as the crow flies. (Probably easy enough to drive to.) I've kept waiting for the Hamlet to play there in pre-season or the London Cup but it hasn't happened yet. Phoenix Sports (at Barnehurst) is another, although that's relatively close to the station.

The Hamlet used to be regular visitors to Croydon Athletic during the previous decade, before the original Croydon Athletic folded in 2011. The ground itself is decent, having been improved piecemeal over several decades with cover on all four sides with a functional but large main stand providing the centrepiece, but the location is terrible. I haven't been since a very wet Saturday afternoon in December 2006. It's about a quarter of a mile down an unlit potholed track from the nearest street. Unless the access has been improved it's not really fit for purpose and all but one local cab firms refused to drop off or pick up fares from the club due to the terrible surface in those days. It reached the point where I would only go for matches that would be completed in daylight hours rather than risk a broken ankle or a shoe full of water. I missed our last three visits which were all for evening matches.

I went to a game there last season and got completely lost, in heavy rain, trying to find the way into the ground. What a miserable experience that was. It is indeed still accessed via a potholed street past a load of horse fields, but Google Maps very unhelpfully recommends a different route that turned out to be fenced off.

There's going to be a fair few more non-league clubs throwing the towel in before this season is over, unless something changes quickly. A second lockdown is more likely, which will precipitate things.

I'd be in favour of clubs being allowed to "skip" this season, without being relegated (2 leagues normally, if they have to resign,) though I guess that would be difficult.

Ross McCormack signs for Aldershot. Serial goalscorer at Championship level, 13 caps for Scotland. Disciplinary issues scuppered him at Villa and he hasn't looked fit for years. Still, at 34 it's a surprise to see someone that clubs have spent £25 million on in non league! Wonder how much he's on and if he'll stick with it...

I live in Aldershot. Word on the street is it's not massive sums. He lives locally(ish) and it suits him in the absence of a better offer.

Shots are subsidised by their board every year due to a combination of declining gates and an old stadium that costs a lot to keep up to safety rules. It would be massively out of their current boards track record if they have bet their shirt on one player.

I went to a game there last season and got completely lost, in heavy rain, trying to find the way into the ground. What a miserable experience that was. It is indeed still accessed via a potholed street past a load of horse fields, but Google Maps very unhelpfully recommends a different route that turned out to be fenced off.

Found the same from the cemetery to the south. Although you can just about get through the brambles, through the training pitch and onto the northern approach road.

Found the same from the cemetery to the south. Although you can just about get through the brambles, through the training pitch and onto the northern approach road.
I've never attempted to go there from that side as I was never certain you could get through, but there's a tramstop reasonably close. Probably not much fun in the dark.

If anyone wishes to tick off the ground I strongly recommend picking a match that will end during daylight hours. The 61 bus will take you almost to the end of Galpin Road and you can cut through a small recreation ground onto the access track. Otherwise it's a longer walk from the main roads near Thornton Heath Ponds.

Has anyone on here been to watch Sydenham Sports recently? They're walking distance from where I live so I was thinking of going to watch them at some point, but there's barely any information about them online and they don't seem to have updated their social media in four years. Do they still play at Cricket Lane?

Last edited:
Has anyone on here been to watch Sydenham Sports recently? They're walking distance from where I live so I was thinking of going to watch them at some point, but there's barely any information about them online and they don't seem to have updated their social media in four years. Do they still play at Cricket Lane?

Think you might have been looking at an old Twitter account as they do regularly post on this account.

I popped along today for the last 60 mins. They lost 6-0 to a Ten Em Bee side who tore them apart in the 2nd half - could easily have been 10-0. This was in the Kent County League Division 1 West.

There was also a game on the adjoining pitch. Groundhoppers v Eden Park - finished 2-2 in the Bromley and South London Football League Division 1.

There is a bar at the ground which was open and offers tables / seating outside enabling you to watch both games which was very pleasant in the sun. Free entry, so two games for the price of none!

Decent 2-1 away win to start the league season off for Winchester City.

Result of the day in our league was Basingstoke's come back from 3-0 down at half time to beat Slimbridge 6-3 away.

I visited one of the Hamlet's old Isthmian League opponents Hitchin Town, who beat Alvechurch 5-1 in the Southern League Premier Central. Hitchin were already 2-0 up when the Alvechurch left back totally lost the plot and was sent off. He overreacted to some fairly mild barracking after he sliced the ball out for a corner, then when the same supporters had another go the next time he touched the ball he belted it at them and was dismissed!

I visited one of the Hamlet's old Isthmian League opponents Hitchin Town, who beat Alvechurch 5-1 in the Southern League Premier Central. Hitchin were already 2-0 up when the Alvechurch left back totally lost the plot and was sent off. He overreacted to some fairly mild barracking after he sliced the ball out for a corner, then when the same supporters had another go the next time he touched the ball he belted it at them and was dismissed!

I hope the scout from Shifnall Town - who play Alvechurch in the FA Cup on Monday - made a note of that way to alter the odds. Although Alvechurch's rather ponderous defence also suggest another season of struggle for them.
Things are looking up for Hitchin as they have had a great response to their crowdfunder target for urgent repairs to historic Top Field (contributions still welcome though) and their new, young side played some very attractive football this afternoon.
Hope you found a good post match beer btw.

Think you might have been looking at an old Twitter account as they do regularly post on this account.

I popped along today for the last 60 mins. They lost 6-0 to a Ten Em Bee side who tore them apart in the 2nd half - could easily have been 10-0. This was in the Kent County League Division 1 West.

There was also a game on the adjoining pitch. Groundhoppers v Eden Park - finished 2-2 in the Bromley and South London Football League Division 1.

There is a bar at the ground which was open and offers tables / seating outside enabling you to watch both games which was very pleasant in the sun. Free entry, so two games for the price of none!

Ah that's brilliant thank you - yeah, turns out I was following a very old Twitter account!

I don't suppose many on here have been following the plight of Basingstoke Town, of the Southern League South Div 1 South (Step 4), but they were stitched up by their property developer owner, who kicked them out of their ground. They spent last season playing at Winchester City, and are now going to play at the Hampshire FA ground at Winklebury in Basingstoke.

Anyway, the property developer has just had his planning application for their old ground thrown out.

Oh dear. What a shame. Never mind.

I don't suppose many on here have been following the plight of Basingstoke Town, of the Southern League South Div 1 South (Step 4), but they were stitched up by their property developer owner, who kicked them out of their ground. They spent last season playing at Winchester City, and are now going to play at the Hampshire FA ground at Winklebury in Basingstoke.

Anyway, the property developer has just had his planning application for their old ground thrown out.

Oh dear. What a shame. Never mind.
As it happens I have been following this story for a few years now. Hamlet used to be regular visitors to the Camrose in the eighties and nineties and I've always felt it's a club with the potential to go as far as Stevenage or Crawley with the right custodians.

So the developer is disappointed. How does he think the club's supporters felt about losing the ground? So the former owner kept the club alive? Because he had the ulterior motive of making a fat profit.

Hopefully the ground remains more or less intact and the club will be able to return at some point.

To add to the issues, the ice rink in Basingstoke is basically life expired. The local ice hockey club are by far the biggest draw in town are terms of spectators and the Council are wary of that one.

As a long standing visitor to the Camrose I've also been following this one and, for several reasons, I think the Council made the right call. I know someone who lives close to the ground, they'll be delighted.

Still suspect the ground will be left to go to ruin, become an eyesore and permission will then be granted.

As it happens I have been following this story for a few years now. Hamlet used to be regular visitors to the Camrose in the eighties and nineties and I've always felt it's a club with the potential to go as far as Stevenage or Crawley with the right custodians.

So the developer is disappointed. How does he think the club's supporters felt about losing the ground? So the former owner kept the club alive? Because he had the ulterior motive of making a fat profit.

Hopefully the ground remains more or less intact and the club will be able to return at some point.
So far as I know, the stands are still there, but the developer has ripped up the pitch. As Hamlet will know, re-doing a pitch is a lot of work but doable.

I've only been there once. Reading are my league team, and Reading "legend" Stevie Richardson ended up as player-manager there - he got a testimonial, including a pre-season friendly against a Reading U21 team or similar - I went with a couple of mates. It's a decent ground, but was looking tatty then (2008 ish)

I saw somewhere that Basingstoke is the largest town in England without a league club, so they must have potential as you say, and it's sad to see a club which has play in the Conference slip down to step 4.

Basingstoke is a New Town though (as are Stevenage and Crawley, granted), and family football loyalties die hard. I used to get the train through Basingstoke to Reading games, and there would be football fans on the station every Saturday, on their way, not just to the big clubs, but to Millwall, Fulham, QPR etc. (and Saints).

They are well supported though (at this level). Even playing home games at our ground last season, they had an average gate of 278, the second highest in our league and well above the average of c.170.

Still suspect the ground will be left to go to ruin, become an eyesore and permission will then be granted.
I think my fear is that council will back down as soon as they are faced with an expensive appeal. That's what happens here with planning applications generally.

I saw somewhere that Basingstoke is the largest town in England without a league club, so they must have potential as you say, and it's sad to see a club which has play in the Conference slip down to step 4.

Dudley, Slough, Poole all surely bigger than Basingstoke? And dare I say it.. Woking?!

Dudley, Slough, Poole all surely bigger than Basingstoke? And dare I say it.. Woking?!
Dudley is a funny one as it's part of a metropolitan conurbation, like Croydon for example. I'd be surprised if any of the others is as big as Boringstoke. Wakefield is another.

Spotted on Twitter. Some small hope that Conference sides may be able to let fans in for FA Cup games. Winchester City are away at Bath City in the FA Cup 2Q on 3 October - would be good if a few away fans could go.

Ollie Bayliss (non-league reporter)

@Ollie_Bayliss
· 5h
This paragraph from the FA does suggest a glimmer of hope that Step 2 sides might be allowed fans for FA Cup home games. We should get an update early next week

Show this thread

1601056977350.png

This makes no sense whatsoever - why ban fans of a Step 2 club from attending an FA Cup game at a Step 3 ground if that ground is able to follow social distancing ? How do you enforce it? Send in the stewards to chuck out anyone cheering at the wrong point? Give fans a quick quiz at the turnstiles to check their allegiance? Present ID to prove you're a home fan - that won't work for London games, or exiles. None of it makes sense.

We are away at Bath City - we were hopeful, but not expecting to be able to go. Now we know we can't.

I think Hamlet are barred from attending their game, which will have home fans in attendance.

Is this the Conference's fault for insisting it was an "Elite" league?

To reply to my own post above, everyone at Winchester City's game tonight was very much of the same view - the rules for FA Cup games are beyond daft.

Anyway, you'll have to forgive me, but we won 5-1 tonight and WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

(both my teams are top of their leagues at the moment. I'm having a great season. :thumbs: )

We are away at Bath City - we were hopeful, but not expecting to be able to go. Now we know we can't.

I would say just go if you want to go. How will anyone know who you support? I'd be going to the Hamlet game at Corinthians if it wasn't for the fact that I'm avoiding public transport.

Back
Top Bottom