Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General non league chat, match reports, photos etc

Hey Voley - have you missed this thread?

I see Penzance are "struggling" - what's going on down there? Is that 5 games, 5 defeats so far?

Hey Voley - have you missed this thread?

I see Penzance are "struggling" - what's going on down there? Is that 5 games, 5 defeats so far?
Yeah. One off the bottom of the league. Perfect storm of:

1. COVID & Council restrictions meaning we can't have home games until we've got better changing rooms.
2. Amalgamating with a higher league so we're playing decent opposition. We were struggling in the previous league - it's twice as hard now.
3. Not having a striker.

I'm not Jürgen Klopp but even I can see point 3 means we aren't going to score many goals. Unfortunately it's been like that for about 3 seasons.

First home game isn't till the end of October - in the meantime we've no tea hut/clubhouse revenue. Stuff like that breaks clubs at our level. If we get through the season financially solvent this year it'll be a result, I reckon. Relegation doesn't bother me tbh. I just want us to survive.

It costs £6, but our cup game tomorrow at Bath City is being live streamed. I'm not a big fan of paying to watch a game on a computer screen, but I'll make an exception for this.

It's a lot less than I'd have spent on the trip down there and a crawl of Bath's excellent pubs if things had been normal, so I guess I have to take the small mercy of that.

if you fancy filling the void by taking in a Sutton Common Rovers game , be warned there are no refreshments and no seating available . won't be seeing me again .

So last weekend Penzance were 3 nil down at half time, pegged one back, conceded another to make it 4-1, then a hat trick from a defender took us to a fucking amazing comeback score of 5-4. First points on the board all season. PZ twitter feed comparing it to the miracle of Istanbul. :D

Today we're away to Callington - bit of a stretch for me, that- but we have our first Covid safe home match next Saturday.

I'm really looking forward to going to Penlee Park for the first time this season. Really missed the place.

Getting a bit misty-eyed reading about all these upsets in the cup today. Pleased for all those celebrating tonight, especially Cray Valley PM where Ade Yusuff was on the scoresheet, and our old friends Marine who turned over Chester.

Getting a bit misty-eyed reading about all these upsets in the cup today. Pleased for all those celebrating tonight, especially Cray Valley PM where Ade Yusuff was on the scoresheet, and our old friends Marine who turned over Chester.

that would be : ' our other old friends from earlier that same week-end Chester '.

April 16th 1932 F.A. Amateur Cup Final Dulwich Hamlet 7 Marine 1.

Don't think we had played Chester, either club, before the friendly

That match is why Marine invited us to play in their 100th anniversary game, we refused, and their 125th anniversary game. It seems they aren't harbouring a monumental grudge

I saw a Non-League Match in Spain today, C.F. Borriol v A.C.D. Benicense in the Primera Regional Group 1, This Division of 14 clubs is in the Province of Valencia and Group 1 based around Castellon with the longest journey about 70km. Many matches are really local though, towns next to each other, one or two in the same larger towns.

The stadiums from what I've seen and today was no different are pretty basic, a covered section on one side and that's about it, bar, toilets and knowing many of the towns most of the clubs are in very picturesque locations with mountain backdrops one one side and if you're lucky the Med on the other. Plastic pitch, multi use markings as from what I understand from Twitter all the clubs' various levels, Cadete, Infantil, Benjamin (? probably reserves, youth, something like that) all play their matches throughout the day more often than not against the same visitors so a very well organised league..

It wasn't my game of choice as the one I wanted to go to got postposed earlier in the week as one of the home players tested positive so this town is about 5 or so miles from where I am, the next village but one. I had to fill out a proposed attendance form on line which was checked at the gate, free admission, hand sanitiser before entry and masks worn throughout. Social distancing was stipulated but as usual groups of youths hung out together in a crowd of around 100 at a guess.

No Linesmen!!! No contested decisions, players didn't mess around about throw ins or corners and at times very good quality, probably on par with the standard at Peckham Town but some very good individual performers too. The pitch was difficult though, too fast and unforgiving, every slightly overplayed pass going out of play or lost possession.

A well contested 2-2 draw, Borriol scored early from a corner very similar to the three East Thurrock scored in the play off final, whipped in hard with the wind which was blowing quite a bit at the time but died down as the match went on. Benicense equalized half way through the first period with a comical goal when the scorer had ages to pick anywhere to aim at, miskicked with it going wide but it got deflected in. They took the lead late on with a cross shot and Borriol equalised with quality finish but then missed a penalty in the last couple of minutes which hit the crossbar.

Very enjoyable. I do have photos but no able to upload them at present.

Back
Top Bottom