Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Don't think so...I was in the background of one on the cover of the home programme one season though... ;)

We did have a womens' team for a few years in the mid-nineties...

Can't remember which season exactly..but they were self-financing, and simply 'ticked boxes' really, with not much integration into the Club. (My personal opinion)
They were an established side, called Lambeth WFC, I think from memory. they approached us to become part of Dulwich Hamlet & changed their name. they had two sides, a First team & Reserves and played in the Greater London League. The First Team were in the Premier Division, and were ok, with a couple of really half-decent players for their level. The Reserves played in one of the lower divisions, and were 'keen' but, to be frank, not very good.
They only used Champion Hill for home matches in the Womens FA Cup. From memory other home games were played somewhere over in Wandsworth, can't recall the name of the park, might have been somewhere round Garrett Lane, from vague memory, sort of Earlsfield way?

There was then some sort of 'split', and most of the First team left, and they retained the Premier slot, with most of the Reserves stepping up, & only had one team...but after a few months, of teams being short, &/or not fulfilling fixtures, they folded mid-season.

I went to some of their games, they did move more local, and used Pynners Close for home games, which is one of the sports grounds 'across the road' from Southwark Sports.

To be honest, again in my personal opinion, they weren't a very well run outfit.

When we get a main all-weather stadium I think it's vital that we incorporate a womens side into the Club set-up.

We did have a womens' team for a few years in the mid-nineties...

Can't remember which season exactly..but they were self-financing, and simply 'ticked boxes' really, with not much integration into the Club. (My personal opinion)
They were an established side, called Lambeth WFC, I think from memory. they approached us to become part of Dulwich Hamlet & changed their name. they had two sides, a First team & Reserves and played in the Greater London League. The First Team were in the Premier Division, and were ok, with a couple of really half-decent players for their level. The Reserves played in one of the lower divisions, and were 'keen' but, to be frank, not very good.
They only used Champion Hill for home matches in the Womens FA Cup. From memory other home games were played somewhere over in Wandsworth, can't recall the name of the park, might have been somewhere round Garrett Lane, from vague memory, sort of Earlsfield way?

There was then some sort of 'split', and most of the First team left, and they retained the Premier slot, with most of the Reserves stepping up, & only had one team...but after a few months, of teams being short, &/or not fulfilling fixtures, they folded mid-season.

I went to some of their games, they did move more local, and used Pynners Close for home games, which is one of the sports grounds 'across the road' from Southwark Sports.

To be honest, again in my personal opinion, they weren't a very well run outfit.

When we get a main all-weather stadium I think it's vital that we incorporate a womens side into the Club set-up.
when was there last season ?

Hey does anyone fancy writing a reasonably snappy summary of what's happened at hamlet during the close season? it would be good to have something to post up on Buzz....

Iceland East Dulwich to close, this after the Irish shop - Just a few cafes left now

East Dulwich gentrification moves on a pace -

London lost working class and mixed communities and the rise of the London Banlieue (suburbs)

Iirish shop april 2014 dulwich IMMG-20140411-00118.jpg

East Dulwich gentrification moves on a pace???...it did that many moons ago.

Have you not looked at the state/loss of local boozers in the area?

And Iceland is hardly a decent local shop...yes, some of the stuff is ok, and priced cheaply....but it's a huge multi-million pound business. No different to a Tesco or Sainsburys or whatever.

Anyone who is 'traditonal East Dulwich working class' will just go to the Co-Op or Sainsburys for their main shops...are down to Camberwell or Peckham as they have done for generations.

And if we're really going to rail against 'gentrification of East Dulwich'...well that same 'gentrification' hasn't really done the local football club any harm has it? .....

But many fans cannot now afford to live locally, when I moved in neighbours were teachers, social workers, nurses

It would be interesting to know how many of our newer fans come from further a field Crystal Palace, Sydenham, Brixton, Streatham etc...

many who did or would have rented locally

And Iceland is hardly a decent local shop...yes, some of the stuff is ok, and priced cheaply....but it's a huge multi-million pound business. No different to a Tesco or Sainsburys or whatever.

Anyone who is 'traditonal East Dulwich working class' will just go to the Co-Op or Sainsburys for their main shops...are down to Camberwell or Peckham as they have done for generations.
Iceland is very much a working class kind of supermarket in Brixton. Sainsburys is pricier.

Yes, I'm not disputing that, of course. But it's only 'working class friendly' to make huge profits.
My shops of choice are Iceland, Lidl, Tesco & the Co-Op. all based on cheapness..food is much of a muchness really.

But many fans cannot now afford to live locally, when I moved in neighbours were teachers, social workers, nurses

It would be interesting to know how many of our newer fans come from further a field Crystal Palace, Sydenham, Brixton, Streatham etc...

I'm not disputing that...but there there are also some who can, who are clearly 'incoming gentrifiers' , which is the point I was making.

For me the reason I can't afford to live locally is not gentrification, per se. It stems from the Thatcher years where untnold Council properties were sold off, and very few built since.
I would love to have continued living on local council estates, like the ones I grew up in. But thanks to the Thatcher policies, and (shamefully) not revoked when Blair & Labour came to power, I never will.

Hence why I live in private flat in Sydenham, albeit a local charity owned one, so it is reasonably affordable.

Last edited:
The change of East Dulwich (both good and bad) started for me when my old primary school, St Johns & St Clements sold off it's original buildings on Archdale Road and then were converted into flats. Then the pubs started going/changing names, long closed down sweet shops on Northcross Road turned into little boutiques selling nick knacks. My personal favourite was Space Station Sixty Five, a living breathing art exhibit disguised as a shop! My girls were fascinated by it when we walked home from school!

Back
Top Bottom