Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Champions of the Hamlet
By Norman Ackland circa 1952

Dulwich Hamlet FC is one of the nurseries for amateur internationals. It's juniors grow up at Champion Hill in the best traditions of playing and enjoying the game, win or lose

Champion Hill, the headquarters of Dulwich Hamlet FC in south London is rightly named. It has been the nursery of many famous players past and present, and the cradle of our best amateur traditions.

Four times winners of the Amateur cup competition, this famous club has always investead confidently in youth. Dulwich Hamlet Juniors founded in 1922, form the basis of the great cup winning teams of the 1930's and supplied 10 of the 11 of the club's leading players at one period.

Four former Dulwich Hamlet Juniors - A.J Hugo, L.B. Morrish, C. Murray and H.S Robbins - hold the record of possessing three amateur cup medals, as well as a complete set of medals of all the amateur competitions in which the club takes part.

Today, too, in Dulwich's present side goalkeeper Alec Freeman, right back Don Eastman, right half George May, outside right Les Green, inside left Pat Connett and outside right Peter Stone all graduated from the junior elevens. And eighteen Dulwich Hamlet players have shared seventy three amateur international caps - a big proportion of them from juniors.

It has been the policy of Dulwich Hamlet to encourage local schoolboy talent. For years the club has had the closest understanding with the South London Schools Football Association which is in the happy position of being able to recommend an outstanding place to Dulwich, with the certainty of their being accepted. Many school masters too, have played a full Dulwich in the past, and at the present time there are four schoolmasters on the Dulwich Hamlet committee.

There is also a famous Lorraine Wilson' Memorial scholarship to Dulwich College, a traditional links with the club. It was founded to perpetuate the memory of the late Mr Lorraine Wilson the founder of Dulwich Hamlet FC.

No "pep" talks

Altogether five elevens turnout for the most Saturdays in the season. The first and second teams - the senior and reserves- play in the Isthmian league. The first eleven have won this championship four times and the second team have been runners-up or champions eighteen times in the 23 years that the Reserve Section championship has been in existence.

The third in order of seniority is the "A" team. They play friendly matches only against banks and teams from business houses.

For the juniors there are two teams - one for boys between 16 and 18 years old, and the other is for boys under 16. In all, between 30 and 40 juniors are on the Hamlet's playing strength.

The most coveted trophy among them is the London Minor cup. This has been won five times in the under 18s, and they have reached the finals on three other occasions. They have also won the Surrey Minor cup beating Crystal Palace Juniors 3-1.
For the under 16s is the London Football Association runs the Winchester cup competition in which over 100 clubs take part. Since the war, Dulwich has won this cup on three occasions.

So you can see that from top to bottom of the club at Champion Hill there is a real Championships spirit at work. Part of the secret is the juniors have the same training privileges as the seniors. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening during the season a full contingent of players of all ages turns up.

The juniors themselves under the expert guidance of Mr Tom Worley, take part in ball practice, exercising getting off the mark quickly, skipping and normal training routine.

Mr Warley is assisted by Ernie Toser, former Millwall professional, holder of two amateur cup medals gained with Dulwich Hamlet, and himself a former Dulwich junior played for England against Scotland in a schools International 25 years ago.

Toser is a trainer pure and simple. At Dulwich they do not lay too much stress on lectures or pep talks on training night. Sometimes there may be just an informal discussion on the previous Saturday's games, followed by suggestions as to the future tactics. There is no professional coach of Dulwich because the powers that be believe that the players in their side know quite as much as the other fellow about the game. A word or two of advice from their skipper at the interval is all they require. There is no handshaking with a player when he scores from a Hamlet team - although I have often seen and Dulwich player slap an opponent on the back for good work.

The amateur spirit

There is no rubbing it in afterwards if a Dulwich man has a bad match. It is taken for granted that he knows all about it himself without being told.
This feeling of comradeship, in the best sense of the term - the confidence that each player does his best on behalf of team mates and club- is the main explanation for the fine spirit at Champion Hill. It is not the mere possession of a medal, but the thrill of fighting for it that counts: games in all weathers: tussles against all types of teams from the pitheads of Durham, from the grimy smoke of the Midlands, from the older universities, as well as the crack Metropolitan amateur sides and that the Hamlet players meet from year to year in the ordinary seasons routine. To play and enjoy the game, win or lose that is the amateur spirit that is Dulwich

I will always remember the reply of Ernest Haley., the old Olympic runner, when he was in charge of Dulwich Hamlet juniors many years ago. They had a splendid team that particular season, and their free scoring centre forward lost count of the number of goals he had scored. so he asked Mr Haley. " You have scored all the others have made for you!" Was the prompt reply. That remark was in the true tradition.

Last edited:
Ernest William Haley - Dulwich Hamlet Junior coach 1930's which laid the foundations for the Amateur cup victories

Born Kensington 3rd January 1885. After winning the 100 yards at the 1907 University of London Championships Ernest Haley developed into one of Britain's leading sprinters. At the 1909 AAA Championships he placed third in the 220 yards and fifth in the 100 yards. In 1910 he improved to take second place in the 220 yards, in 1913 he finished third in the 440yards, but in 1914 he was eliminated in the heats of both the 440 yards flat and hurdles. In 1911 he placed third in the 220 yards at the Festival of Empire Meeting at Crystal Palace, which was the forerunner of the British Empire (Commonwealth) Games. In 1912 Ernest Haley ran the 200m and 400m at the Stockholm Olympics.

Haley served as a Sergeant Instructor with the Army Gym Staff in 1914-18, and worked hard to revive the activities of the Herne Hill Harriers after the war. He served as President of the club in 1923-24 and in 1924 he was one of the founding members of the English Schools Athletics Association. As a schoolmaster, he used the long summer holidays to attend major meetings abroad.

According to Dulwich Hamlet historian Jack McInroy, It was Haley who spotted the young star player Ernie Toser while playing for Eton Manor FC and encouraged Toser to switch to Dulwich Hamlet despite the interest of Tottenham

He was present at the 1928 and 1936 Olympics and at the 1930 British Empire Games in Canada, he was recruited from the ranks of the spectators to represent England at bowls. He died soon after celebrating his 90th birthday - February 20, 1975 at Dulwich .

Last edited:
This Amateur cup final programme 1920 does anyone have a copy ? Bill Bond ?, this was the name of one of my family who played for Dulwich any relation ?, his father Bill Bond senior worked on the gate later years

Hi everyone. Hope it's OK to post this here:

I'm doing the Prudential Ride London Peloton Relay on 2nd August, raising money for Medicinema - a charity that runs cinemas in hospitals for patients and their family/carers and hospital staff, including Guys and St Thomas Hospitals.

I'm going to be riding the whole 100 miles of the olympic road race course, with my team mates joining me every 25 miles.

Please consider donating and sharing!

The Justgiving page is - https://www.justgiving.com/JHMediCinema/

thanks for your time.

But many fans cannot now afford to live locally, when I moved in neighbours were teachers, social workers, nurses

It would be interesting to know how many of our newer fans come from further a field Crystal Palace, Sydenham, Brixton, Streatham etc...

many who did or would have rented locally

another interesting question would be how many are born and raised in the local area?

i would say 80% of millwall's support were born and raised with an SE post code. but there is always a drift out to the suburbs and beyond. bermondsey and rotherhithe (strangely) still have massive millwall followings though.

Show and Tell are fantastic. Put on great comedy shows. Delighted that they're a sponsor... and needless to say Late Knights is a cracking sponsor too. Mmmmm, beer.

So happy not to have an estate agent on the shirt.
But Winkworths, & Haart before them, were the ones who put up the money, in extremely difficult times in the past for the Hamlet. So I am grateful for their past support.
And let us not forget...this draw was only sanctioned by our current owners...a property company. So thanks to Hadley Property too...

But Winkworths, & Haart before them, were the ones who put up the money, in extremely difficult times in the past for the Hamlet. So I am grateful for their past support.
And let us not forget...this draw was only sanctioned by our current owners...a property company. So thanks to Hadley Property too...
That's all simply lovely. But it won't change my opinion of seeing an estate agent on a Hamlet shirt.

Now if I was good at art and shit I'd make this flag/banner. But I'm not.

So I'm putting my idea out there in the hope some creative type will take it and run.

Right. The Hamlet quite rightly prides itself on its inclusivity. Gender, sexuality, ethnicity. Not a shit is given at Champion Hill. Not one.

By what about the grebs, the metalheads, those that walk backwards, the brother and sisterhood of the one true musical sub-genre? A much mocked and maligned group. And yet we saw Xavier Vidal give the sign of the horns when he scored against someone or other.

So banner idea: blue background, Bearing the legend, in pink Gothic script:

" Dulwich Hamlet
Death to False Metal. "

I'm thinking an AC/DC lightening bolt between Dulwich and Hamlet and an umlaut over the U.

The Altona boys will like the umlaut. And perhaps the general vernacular given their denim and leather garb.

Who's up for it? I'll pay for the paint.

Now if I was good at art and shit I'd make this flag/banner. But I'm not.
So banner idea: blue background, Bearing the legend, in pink Gothic script:

" Dulwich Hamlet
Death to False Metal. "

I'm thinking an AC/DC lightening bolt between Dulwich and Hamlet and an umlaut over the U.

The Altona boys will like the umlaut. And perhaps the general vernacular given their denim and leather garb.

Who's up for it? I'll pay for the paint.

..... there's a waiting list!!

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dulwichhamlet/news/new-sponsors-announced-1455200.html

A theatre group and a brewery for the sponsors. Quite happy with that - while it's a bit of a shame it wasn't Forward The Hamlet that's a lot better than another estate agent.

I'm grateful to Winkworth and our other previous shirt sponsors for their support of the club, and I've no problem with their name being on our team shirts, but they didn't pay me to advertise their company on my replica shirt, for which I paid 35 quid or whatever. I've always been reluctant to wear replica shirt with sponsors' names, and if I'm going to give anyone free advertising by wearing my replica shirt around South London I'd much rather give it to a local microbrewery whose pubs I visit regularly, and whose beers I enjoy, than give it to an estate agent from whom I shall never be able to afford to buy or rent a local property.

When your arm brace has to be blue but there's a choice of colours for the webbing there's only one that will do....

a6622bdb509d88af183fd5031660ad45.jpg

I mentioned this to a couple of people last night that I'm really impressed with the match day programme, for a pre-season issue it's massive and not padded out with adverts. Even the Altona one took me a good hour to read even though much of it was in German!

Actually....the reason the pre-season is so 'fresh' is because the usual programme editor John Lawrence, who does a fine & thankless task with his regular issues by the way, is committed to cricket in the summer. Thus the pre-season issues are compiled by Griff, which is why he asks for contributions for inclusion.
The adverts do not pay for them...they are already paid for, & all advertising revenue goes directly into the Football Club budget. The programme actually pays for itself through sales. I understand, & I hope I don't embarrass Griff by saying this, that Griff paid for the production of them himself, and he took the costs back from sales, then gave any profit back to the Club, as per normal matchday programmes.
I must say...his three cover designs so far have really been 'ten out of ten' for me....which is high praise from someone like myself, who has bought programmes at games, and from club shops up and down the land all of my life.

Back
Top Bottom