Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

When the only good thing that can be said about them is "at least they're not Rangers fans", it says quite a lot.

Honestly, part of what I love about coming to Dulwich Hamlet matches is that it's a million miles from the Old Firm bollocks we have to put up with as fans of Scottish clubs. It would be heart-breaking for me if the club was suddenly latched onto by either of those two mobs. It's the last thing a terrific, forward-thinking community club like DHFC needs to be associated with.

I did also say that I have no problem with individual Rangers fans, and I know we have a few amongst our support. It's the principles.

It would be absolutely fantastic if Scottish football was rid of both clubs at the end of the day.

Old firm :mad: :( made growing up in Glasgow more miserable than it needed to be. I still get my hackles up when someone asks me who I support out the two as that always meant some fucker was spoiling for a fight back in the day. I remember the aggro in the stands going to watch games as a kid and it put me off for decades until I discovered the joys of non-league.

The CLOSEST Glasgow club to Dulwich Hamlet are our good friends from Queen's Park FC. Our supporters go up there every year to take part in their Supporters Tournament, and we play them at 11-a-sides, and meet in other fan tournaments too. (Worthing, Namur & Leyton Orient being some past examples)
Whenever we play them, (or bump into them at a tournament, but not drawn against them, so we play a friendly) we compete for the Edgar Kail Cup, as Edgar was the first ever Englishman to be invited to 'guest' for them in a game.
Queens' Park have a totally non-political, non-sectarian fanbase)

Queen's Park are also the only fully amateur club playing in the Scottish professional leagues, an impressive tradition to be able to maintain in the modern era - their motto being "to play for the sake of playing".

If there's an ethos or "politics" to admire, then theirs is a far loftier one than that of either of the Old Firm.

The average attendance for Dulwich Hamlet is the league this season is now up to 954!

1200 at each of the remaining four home matches will make it 996, with the Maidstone match likely to considerably exceed 1200 it's almost certain the season's average will be over 1000.

If the crowds average something close to yesterdays it will close to a staggering 1100!

The average attendance for Dulwich Hamlet is the league this season is now up to 954!

1200 at each of the remaining four home matches will make it 996, with the Maidstone match likely to considerably exceed 1200 it's almost certain the season's average will be over 1000.

If the crowds average something close to yesterdays it will close to a staggering 1100!
long may it continue !

Given the bumper attendances I do think the club should look into setting up a second matchday tent bar on the other side of the ground. Lots of people are bringing their own tins in to avoid the clubhouse queues, which is lost revenue that could be going to the club

Given the bumper attendances I do think the club should look into setting up a second matchday tent bar on the other side of the ground. Lots of people are bringing their own tins in to avoid the clubhouse queues, which is lost revenue that could be going to the club
They'd need to get their alcohol license amended first, which IIRC is in progress?

They'd need to get their alcohol license amended first, which IIRC is in progress?

That's my understanding, although others might know more. What I've been told is that it's proving difficult as the previous owners were apparently massively in breach of the licence conditions. They've smartened up now but it doesn't help with the licencing committee.

Can someone do the form thing for next few Hamlet games
and estimate how many points we are likely to end up
and where that will take us (prob play offs) ?

yes I know its only guess work, etc etc

That seems a pretty pessimistic take but even as a worse case scenario what's not to like about going down to Margate again, even if a home game would be preferable.

Things are starting to look a bit unhealthy at Maidstone from looking at their forum. Doom and gloom abounds. I'd bet my hat (or someone else's) that they won't reach 98 points and I fancy Margate to pip them to the title. Lots of twists and turns to come though without doubt.

DHFC v Maidstone could be MASSIVE.

That seems a pretty pessimistic take but even as a worse case scenario what's not to like about going down to Margate again, even if a home game would be preferable.

Things are starting to look a bit unhealthy at Maidstone from looking at their forum. Doom and gloom abounds. I'd bet my hat (or someone else's) that they won't reach 98 points and I fancy Margate to pip them to the title. Lots of twists and turns to come though without doubt.

DHFC v Maidstone could be MASSIVE.

I'm feeling pretty sure we're looking at an away play-off this year. The second-half slump is happening again - we were talking to Kevin James before the match on Saturday and he was saying how teams fear coming to CH when the pitch is at its best, but I think we can all see how Gav's style doesn't translate so easily onto rougher pitches (see what happened at Hampton, for instance). There are games like Margate where we rise above it, but once again we're seeing teams who were a long way behind us in November and early December peeking over our shoulders.

If it comes down to an away play-off, I'd rather go to Margate than Maidstone or Met Police. Met Police are exactly the kind of side who'd know how to grind out a win against us in a one-legged play-off, Maidstone would have their huge crowd behind them, but I think Margate could bottle it.

I'm feeling pretty sure we're looking at an away play-off this year. The second-half slump is happening again - we were talking to Kevin James before the match on Saturday and he was saying how teams fear coming to CH when the pitch is at its best, but I think we can all see how Gav's style doesn't translate so easily onto rougher pitches (see what happened at Hampton, for instance). There are games like Margate where we rise above it, but once again we're seeing teams who were a long way behind us in November and early December peeking over our shoulders.

If it comes down to an away play-off, I'd rather go to Margate than Maidstone or Met Police. Met Police are exactly the kind of side who'd know how to grind out a win against us in a one-legged play-off, Maidstone would have their huge crowd behind them, but I think Margate could bottle it.

Maidstone's huge crowd can turn on them and it is a perfect pitch and we would be segregated so we would all be under cover. 600 tickets is the minimum required allocation, which I think is ALL we should allocate Maidstone for our game at Home.

Agree with Joe. Interested to hear people's views on possible Hendon or East Thurrock playoff?

Ooh, Hendon is easier to get too, but would be on the side again? Hard decisions. East Thurrock, harder to get to, but good under cover at one end, not sure we would all fit under there though, also dodgy pitch.

Agree with Joe. Interested to hear people's views on possible Hendon or East Thurrock playoff?

Hendon are really hard to call. I don't think anyone expected to be up there, but they're the kind of team who have proper Isthmian pedigree and therefore there'd be narrative to them getting promoted, which would potentially create a bit of buzz around a play-off. Not sure I'd fancy our chances of travelling up there in that situation. East Thurrock are one of a number of teams who might nab the last spot if things jig around a bit - surely not at our expense this time! - and I think I'd be less intimidated by them away than the others. Leiston, Ks, Bognor and Billericay are all on the fringes of it but I doubt they'd be able to overhaul our points - wouldn't fancy going to any of those places and getting a result; think we'd beat most of them at home.

I agree entirely about the pitch issue although I thought there was quite a lot more long ball stuff going on last night even though it was obviously a much changed team. Putting my optimistic hat on, given what Kevin James (who was hilarious last night) said to you, maybe if teams feel emboldened into having a bit of a go at Champion Hill it could play into Dulwich's hands.

I'd rather go to Margate than Maidstone because it's more fun and we've got a hex on them but I agree with B.I.G that Maidstone could completely bottle a play off in the circumstances. Their fans really don't seem to be happy campers at the moment.

Met Police is the nightmare scenario, in my opinion, for the reasons you state.

Back
Top Bottom