Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Thank you. Yes, we had a long discussion about how appropriate it was for a club with our perspective on life to be present on X which is why we made the change to be self sufficient as these platforms can turn toxic remarkably quickly. I don’t know Bluesky personally so will take a look.
I downloaded the Threads app purely because DHFC opened an account and try to use it as much as I can. Everything on DHFC Twitter seems to be posted on DHFC Threads except the in game updates, which can only realistically be posted on one platform by the person doing them. Should we grasp the nettle and use Threads for the updates instead?

The sight of Elon Musk prancing about like a cheerleader at a Trump rally the other day was nauseating. Unfortunately Twitter is so firmly established (and very convenient for immediate access to updates and information from all clubs) it's hard to avoid looking at it, but I only maintain a personal account for access to information, I don't post anything on it myself.

We don’t sell online sponsorship and all of our sponsors support us because of what happens at Champion Hill not online.

Clare who looks after all of our sponsors makes our club a wonderful place that people want to be a part of and I can guarantee you she couldn’t tell you how many ‘hits’ we get let alone ever use that information as you claim. She just welcomes people in person like they are family and they love her and the club for it. As do I.

I didn’t say you did sell online sponsorship (whatever that is).

I know Clare. As you know. She’s amazing. When I didn’t renew my player sponsorship over Crouch, and the Club’s frankly tenuous relationship with the truth over Crouch, the hardest part of that was having to tell her I wouldn’t renew. I felt bad.

I also have seen historic sponsor pitch documents. And the Club definitely does tout its online clout therein. But maybe I’m wronging you and you haven’t seen them.

As often with urban… This has escalated. A simple, well observed, “why aren’t tweets informative” has become a scrap. Probably me throwaway-calling people pricks wasn’t helpful. Or deserved. So I’ll withdraw that and apologise.

Sorry everyone.

But i think @editor’s underlying point stands. Just say the date and time of a match in a tweet for chrissakes, it’s pretty obvious that’s what you should do. And wider point I think a lot of people aren’t into the club’s socials. But, a lot clearly are, and they’re the ones you want, so… best of luck.

I downloaded the Threads app purely because DHFC opened an account and try to use it as much as I can. Everything on DHFC Twitter seems to be posted on DHFC Threads except the in game updates, which can only realistically be posted on one platform by the person doing them. Should we grasp the nettle and use Threads for the updates instead?

The sight of Elon Musk prancing about like a cheerleader at a Trump rally the other day was nauseating. Unfortunately Twitter is so firmly established (and very convenient for immediate access to updates and information from all clubs) it's hard to avoid looking at it, but I only maintain a personal account for access to information, I don't post anything on it myself.
The problem with Threads, as far as I am aware, is that it requires Facebook or Instagram. Bluesky is just Bluesky and, currently at least, a bit more independent.

Sadly our club and staff are increasingly criticised and abused online and so creating a safe online environment where fans can receive information without reading the accompanying abuse is important to me personally.
I read all Hamlet's posts on Facebook and have never noticed any abuse, and even if there was I'm not interested in reading it - I'll just look at whatever useful info is contained in the post (if there is any).

Forcing people to click on to the club's website for a truly tiny scrap of info that has been intentionally withheld from the social media post really is not good practice.

And on a practical note: Who can like or comment on things that I post on Facebook? | Facebook Help Centre

I read all Hamlet's posts on Facebook and have never noticed any abuse, and even if there was I'm not interested in reading it - I'll just look at whatever useful info is contained in the post (if there is any).

Forcing people to click on to the club's website for a truly tiny scrap of info that has been intentionally withheld from the social media post really is not good practice.

And on a practical note: Who can like or comment on things that I post on Facebook? | Facebook Help Centre
There was an epidemic of homophobic and transphobic abuse on both the Facebook and Twitter accounts last season whenever any sort of LGBT- friendly message or initiative was posted. It all seemed to originate from people based overseas, or militant anti-trans types with no actual interest in our club. I'm sure they were removed as promptly as possible and someone now seems to have found a way of preventing them, but it was very tedious at the time even for those not directly on the receiving end.

Hi

appreciate you checking out Facebook for abuse, you are right, I have seen nothing of concern there and that is not a source of abuse or a site I worry about but surprised you missed our staff being called Pricks on this site yesterday if you are researching abuse against DHFC.

Ben

If it helps to take the sting out of this, I think what particularly winds people up is knowledge-gap headlines where key information is deliberately withheld to try and force a click-through.

Perhaps we could simply commit to not doing that, which would improve the fan experience at no real cost to the club.

If it helps to take the sting out of this, I think what particularly winds people up is knowledge-gap headlines where key information is deliberately withheld to try and force a click-through.

Perhaps we could simply commit to not doing that, which would improve the fan experience at no real cost to the club.
Hi Alex

I think ‘taking the sting out of this’ is the best comment I have read on this site for a long time. But I don’t think it is just about this latest issue it is wider and one I will post about next as I think enough is enough.

Ben.

I didn’t say you did sell online sponsorship (whatever that is).

I know Clare. As you know. She’s amazing. When I didn’t renew my player sponsorship over Crouch, and the Club’s frankly tenuous relationship with the truth over Crouch, the hardest part of that was having to tell her I wouldn’t renew. I felt bad.

I also have seen historic sponsor pitch documents. And the Club definitely does tout its online clout therein. But maybe I’m wronging you and you haven’t seen them.

As often with urban… This has escalated. A simple, well observed, “why aren’t tweets informative” has become a scrap. Probably me throwaway-calling people pricks wasn’t helpful. Or deserved. So I’ll withdraw that and apologise.

Sorry everyone.

But i think @editor’s underlying point stands. Just say the date and time of a match in a tweet for chrissakes, it’s pretty obvious that’s what you should do. And wider point I think a lot of people aren’t into the club’s socials. But, a lot clearly are, and they’re the ones you want, so… best of luck.
Hey Dom (and Mike), I will be happy to have a chat with you both about the website/social media and will be happy to feed suggestions/gripes/ideas back to the team. Give me a shout next time you are at the Hill

I messaged the media team some time ago about the use of X, which is probably the most sewer like of the social media outlets. We apparently have a Bluesky account which has not been used for some time. Could this not be reactivated, if for nothing else than to provide the information for men's and women's games currently on X. Bluesky looks like X, works like X but, so far at least, isn't full of the rubbish currently being peddled on X. The account name is
@dulwichhamletfc.bsky.social - it's been inert for 9 months, though it still appears to be active. It's a friendlier place to be - sort of like DHFC!
If Twitter is too toxic even for north Wales' agents of state sponsored violence, it might be time to leave

I appreciate you checking out Facebook for abuse, you are right, I have seen nothing of concern there and that is not a source of abuse or a site I worry about but surprised you missed our staff being called Pricks on this site yesterday if you are researching abuse against DHFC.
I don't recall stating I was 'researching abuse against DHFC' so I do find your response rather strange.

And seeing as scousedom has already rightly apologised and withdrawn the comment, I'm not sure why you're still bringing it up.

scousedom said:
Probably me throwaway-calling people pricks wasn’t helpful. Or deserved. So I’ll withdraw that and apologise.

However, what I did comment on was the frustrating, pointless, clickbait Hamlet posts that regularly appear on social media. Do you think this is not valid criticism?

Websites and social media are something I have considerable experience at, and the fact that this Hamlet forum is easily one of the busiest - if not the busiest - at the club's level of football suggests that maybe my opinions shouldn't be immediately rejected as worthless.

And I haven't just been negative. I've suggested what content should be posted up and offered instructions on how to stop people commenting on those posts, if that is still a problem.

Hi guys,

I've avoided jumping on this thread purely because actually a lot of the stuff said on here is incredibly damaging to not just myself, to my colleagues and our volunteers.

I wanted to explain a few things, me and Ben Clasper have regular catch ups about club comms. Me and Brit regularly speak about comms for the men and women's sides. Nothing is done without things being planned out. The posts in question have been something we've been looking at doing for a while. After the hard work of Dave with the new website we now need to utilise it. I have regular chats with Tom Cullen as well and he has always been a very helpful asset to myself over the past year.

Me and Ben have spoken in length on multiple occasions about X/Twitter. I agree it's not a platform we should be using to put it quite honestly. it's a fucking awful site. That's why we've started using Threads a lot more. The website posts, are to promote people going to the website. It's so eventually supporters realise the website is now the most trusted place for news. This means we can potentially remove ourselves from a platform like X/Twitter. We have to utilise this website and we're doing that. I can tell you now Clare as much as I love her wouldn't not what to do with social media data when she has it at her disposal. If you've spoken with her about sponsorship she sells purely because of how much she loves our club, that's what sells our sponsorship.

Everything we do is carefully thought out. You might have noticed our promotion to our game against Horsham last month was a bit all over the place. Me and Ben both agreed that we needed to shake things up not follow the norm that every club sets. It worked, we were 80 supporters short of our first 3000 crowd in September.

A lot of news outlets and sporting organisations might look like they are posting 'clickbait'. We certainly aren't trying to do that to gain any form of monetary gain. It is purely to encourage people to use our website for news rather than having to click through via X/Twitter so we can slowly remove ourselves from the platform.

On the subject of 'abuse' or comments made on this, our social media platforms alongside other fan forums. The last 12 months whilst being some of the most enjoyable 12 months I've had in football have also been some the most mentally damaging I've experienced. Getting called 'pricks' and a 'spastic' before on Facebook isn't particularly easy to deal with. I'll be honest, i've almost quit about 8 times in the last year. I've gone as far as writing a resignation letter to Ben. I've struggled a lot. Football is hard work, but coming on a site like this and seeing your work constantly ridiculed and ripped apart is hard.

I'm 23 years old, this is my first proper job in the football media sector. I'm relatively thick skinned. Naturally as a gay man you become like that with the amount of homophobia we experience on a regular basis. A lot of the comments made are seen by a group of University students. These are 19 year olds taking their very first steps in the industry. I don't know what damage that does to them and their confidence. They travel the south east of England with us week after week covering both of our 1st teams. I know when I was that age, comments made that I see on here and other forums would have broken me.

My mental health has suffered a massive knock over the past 12 months and thankfully the people I work with whether that is Mel, Gav, Joe and Jake or our 2 management teams have picked me up and got through it. Football is hard, especially now, we're constantly finding ways to evolve and change our Social Media approach. Some things will work some won't just be patient with us. It is hard to find a plan that works for every single one of our supporters.

We're trying our hardest, we're going to get things wrong and we're going to get things right that's life and most importantly that is football.

I think what we all need to understand is that it's not always going to be perfect, when mistakes are made by me it annoys me as much as it annoys you seeing them. When our teams lose it ruins my weekend just like you. Just be patient with us if you have constructive feedback or want to discuss strategy with me then my email is: kianward@dulwichhamletfc.co.uk We can chat on email, have a phone call or meet at a game. I'm always open to what people think we can do better.

We all sometimes need to take a deep breath and think. Not just on here but in life itself, you never really know what people are truly going through.

Have a great week and see you at Champion Hill or on the road (whenever that is) soon.

That's a brave and salutary message Kian. My view is you and the team (including volunteers) do a great and admirable job. Some of the messages levelled at the club on social media are pretty grim and must really cut to the quick.
Agreed. It can be a thankless task even without people on your own side shooting at you in public. I have done the role elsewhere before the days when social media became a sh*tstorm and wouldn't do it again.
And another vote for making use of the Bluesky account - at the moment it is less poisonous that X / FB. There's very little no non-league content so just waiting for folks to break the ice.

I messaged the media team some time ago about the use of X, which is probably the most sewer like of the social media outlets. We apparently have a Bluesky account which has not been used for some time. Could this not be reactivated, if for nothing else than to provide the information for men's and women's games currently on X. Bluesky looks like X, works like X but, so far at least, isn't full of the rubbish currently being peddled on X. The account name is
@dulwichhamletfc.bsky.social - it's been inert for 9 months, though it still appears to be active. It's a friendlier place to be - sort of like DHFC!

I'm very happy to have read club news on bluesky this evening! (Though the half time result of the cup match tonight wasn't was I had been hoping for.)

As mentioned before myself and Dave have spent a lot of time figuring out how to move our match updates onto the website.

Tonight we're trialing it for the very first time so please be patient with us and the system!

Our match centre will become the main hub for match updates going forward. Moving us away from X/Twitter and onto our own site. Give it a look tonight and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! My email is: kianward@dulwichhamletfc.co.uk

You can take a proper look here: Match Centre

Back
Top Bottom