Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

Erhun was a non-playing substitute in the 5-0 game, so unlikely to have been that one. He played and scored the following season when they got the last minute winner in the 4-3 but there was quite a big Hamlet support for that one..

I think therefore it was the latter. Quite a gathered support in the second half but in the first half only a few made it into the massed Maidstone supporters in the town end as can be sort of seen in this picture with Maidstone fans on both sides of the group.

I think therefore it was the latter. Quite a gathered support in the second half but in the first half only a few made it into the massed Maidstone supporters in the town end as can be sort of seen in this picture with Maidstone fans on both sides of the group.

Yes, that was the one where they delayed kick-off by 15 minutes and the attendance was over the official ground capacity at the time. Some idiot threw a pint of lager over the Hamlet supporters when we took the lead at that end.

Boreham Wood doing their bit for the community (or not)

I know some clubs are less generous than others when it comes to accommodating matchday personnel, and there's sometimes a bit of tit-for-tat in return, but Borehamwood was always a pretty horrible experience back in the Isthmian Premier Division in the 90's. Of the 200+ clubs I've visited with the Hamlet it's one of the few with no redeeming features whatsoever and if I never go there again I won't be sorry. Confiscating bottled water is just ridiculous. "Could be acid" indeed.

Really appreciate the Bulb sponsored DHFC banners behind the goals - really looks great when you enter the ground and an important framing of the pitch - especially in photos taken at the game (no better than on TV when we played Carlisle United in the FA Cup)
However getting a little faded - know costly to replace but would be great if Bulb could refresh
Certainly not the end of the world and maybe we should just wait , but just a comment - hopefully taken constructively

Last edited:
Really appreciate the Bulb sponsored DHFC banners behind the goals - really looks great when you enter the ground and an important framing of the pitch - especially in photos taken at the game (no better than on TV when we played Carlisle United in the FA Cup)
However getting a little faded - know costly to replace but would be great if Bulb could refresh
Certainly not the end of the world and maybe we should just wait , but just a comment - hopefully taken constructively
Hopefully, the whole ground will be replaced soon, but we've heard nothing about this from the club during the last 18 months. Can somebody PLEASE give us an update on what's happening? Or when something's likely to start happening?

Hopefully, the whole ground will be replaced soon, but we've heard nothing about this from the club during the last 18 months. Can somebody PLEASE give us an update on what's happening? Or when something's likely to start happening?
I agree that we're overdue an official update but it's only 14 months since planning permission was granted.

I overheard our chairman telling telling his Hungerford counterpart that it's likely to be another 2 years before we're playing at the new ground and work should commence imminently but I was busy with matchday duties at the time. From what I recall hearing previously, Southwark Council has been operating at snail's pace throughout the pandemic and that's been the prime source of delay. So we're looking at the 23/24 season, although the plan remains to vacate the current ground as soon as the new one is passed fit, so the transition may occur during a season.

I agree that we're overdue an official update but it's only 14 months since planning permission was granted.

I overheard our chairman telling telling his Hungerford counterpart that it's likely to be another 2 years before we're playing at the new ground and work should commence imminently but I was busy with matchday duties at the time. From what I recall hearing previously, Southwark Council has been operating at snail's pace throughout the pandemic and that's been the prime source of delay. So we're looking at the 23/24 season, although the plan remains to vacate the current ground as soon as the new one is passed fit, so the transition may occur during a season.
Thanks, PP; that's helpful. Seems much longer than 14 months ago!

Thanks, PP; that's helpful. Seems much longer than 14 months ago!
I'll try to remember to ask Ben about this on Saturday. It does need to be put in the public domain.

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Ben is very accessible and approachable, normally stands behind the goal on matchdays, and includes his personal contact details in emails to season ticket holders, so if you know what he looks like I'm sure he'd be happy to give straight answers. However he's also running his own business as well as DHFC, which must have been especially stressful during the pandemic. I'm sure the lack of communication has been down to this rather than any underlying problem.

I'll try to remember to ask Ben about this on Saturday. It does need to be put in the public domain.

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Ben is very accessible and approachable, normally stands behind the goal on matchdays, and includes his personal contact details in emails to season ticket holders, so if you know what he looks like I'm sure he'd be happy to give straight answers. However he's also running his own business as well as DHFC, which must have been especially stressful during the pandemic. I'm sure the lack of communication has been down to this rather than any underlying problem.

When pressed (hard) at DHST AGM, he said he hoped works will begin in January. Can't remember if it was summer 2023 or 2024 for new ground to be ready.

Yes, I've spoken to Ben a few times and found him approachable and friendly.

When pressed (hard) at DHST AGM, he said he hoped works will begin in January. Can't remember if it was summer 2023 or 2024 for new ground to be ready.
The current ground was ready within 18 months including demolition of the much larger old one, plus a three months delay in opening due to the pitch contractor screwing up. If work begins in January 2022 it should certainly be ready by summer 2023.

About to watch it. Will be interesting how many Carew goals there are versus his replacement.
I said something like this at the game on Sunday. Remember that period when we would get a free kick 20-25 yards out, centralish, and you’d just assume “goal”. Like, with the same or greater certainty you’d assume a penalty would be scored. It was freakish.

Would be great if Bulb could avoid bankruptcy tbf.

Bulb are a pretty large company. I doubt the shirt sponsorship is a massive sum by their standard so it's possible it was paid up front for the season. If not, I'm sure the club will be watching carefully.

The government will probably be encouraging others to aid Bulb, remember Lloyds being "encouraged" to buy Halifax in the financial system collapse. The back up scheme simply isn't designed for entities the size of Bulb failing and it's already under pressure with a possible government bank of last resort, loans to companies taking on customers from bust firms etc being floated due to smaller companies failing.

Edited to say i newspaper reported yesterday that the Government is struggling to find anyone capable of taking on Bulb's 1.7m customers in one hit so is considering either temporary nationalisation, to buy them time to sort it out, or substantial loans, with the government taking a share in the company as happened with some banks in the financial crisis.

Edited again to say the BBC are this morning reporting the government has changed its mind and will not intervene to prevent one of the larger challenging firms going under.

Last edited:
Bulb are a pretty large company. I doubt the shirt sponsorship is a massive sum by their standard so it's possible it was paid up front for the season. If not, I'm sure the club will be watching carefully.

The government will probably be encouraging others to aid Bulb, remember Lloyds being "encouraged" to buy Halifax in the financial system collapse. The back up scheme simply isn't designed for entities the size of Bulb failing and it's already under pressure with a possible government bank of last resort, loans to companies taking on customers from bust firms etc being floated due to smaller companies failing.

Edited to say i newspaper reported yesterday that the Government is struggling to find anyone capable of taking on Bulb's 1.7m customers in one hit so is considering either temporary nationalisation, to buy them time to sort it out, or substantial loans, with the government taking a share in the company as happened with some banks in the financial crisis.

Edited again to say the BBC are this morning reporting the government has changed its mind and will not intervene to prevent one of the larger challenging firms going under.

What a rollercoaster!

nope didn't have a visit from the Royals to Champion Hill or the collapse of capitalism down on my score card for 2021

anything that promotes Community football or football for all is a good thing

personally a Red Republican - but think working with Royal's and Tracey Crouch is important - IF we can promote the vision many have for football

The Club is speaking up for many who don't have a voice in the game and who have been marginalised for to long - while not listening to those who have warned for years about the worrying trends in the game that threaten its very future

Back
Top Bottom