Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Dulwich Hamlet chat

For those that knew him the sad news that David (Dave) Fry passed away on Saturday, gone to young at 50.
He was an occasional visitor to Champion Hill over the past 25 years or so (some seasons he attended quite a few games) but hs first love, of photography took him to many a place.

RIP David Fry

Awful news, I met Dave in Liverpool back in 1988 and introduced him to non-league football. The main reason he was down Dulwich less in recent years was that he became official club photographer at Prescot Cables FC where he will be badly missed. He nearly made it to Needham Market away last season, sadly it wasn't to be. Some of you may spot a link between the two clubs he watched...

If Shaun's description makes anyone think they may know who Dave was, there's a photo here: -

Club Statement: David Fry (1968-2018) - Prescot Cables Football Club

RIP mate, my trips to Liverpool will be less enjoyable without your company. Thanks for the memories and the idiosyncratic letters.

Just noticed the existence of (and purchased on Evil Amazon Kindle) a new book by occasionally Hamlet-mentioning author Joe Kennedy. Whoever he is.

A troublemaker whose commitment to fully automated communism is debateable after not attending the playoff final.

Still buy his book. So he can afford to attend an away match.

Joe K

He *might* sign your kindle.

Awful news, I met Dave in Liverpool back in 1988 and introduced him to non-league football. The main reason he was down Dulwich less in recent years was that he became official club photographer at Prescot Cables FC where he will be badly missed. He nearly made it to Needham Market away last season, sadly it wasn't to be. Some of you may spot a link between the two clubs he watched...

If Shaun's description makes anyone think they may know who Dave was, there's a photo here: -

Club Statement: David Fry (1968-2018) - Prescot Cables Football Club

RIP mate, my trips to Liverpool will be less enjoyable without your company. Thanks for the memories and the idiosyncratic letters.
First time on-line since the weekend, was for one of the few times in my life genuinely speechless when I heard the news. I know he was a good friend of yours Roger D , please pass on my sympathies personally to all of your old Uni crowd, who kept in touch together.

Not sure what to say, hope this does him justice... Dave Fry RIP - News - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

Will do mate, I think the old Liverpool University Cables fans from the late 80's will be trying to sponsor a match up there in his memory, or something similar. Thank you for writing the tribute too. Dave would have been deeply embarrassed by the tributes paid to him, I don't think he ever quite realised what he meant to people. Several Liverpool area clubs have paid tribute to him.

He's gone far too soon but I can take comfort from the fact a throwaway comment one day inviting him down the Cables when he had never seen a football match led to a lifelong passion for him and saw him meet a lot of good people.

When I left Liverpool, Prescot Cables put a tribute to me in their proggie. I think Dave will be getting a slightly bigger one, he deserves it.

Thanks to all the old school fans who made him so welcome over the years. It speaks volumes for the welcome he received that he was quickly coming down for matches he fancied even if he knew I had other commitments.

I jokingly called him 'Boring Dave', what with his 'monotone' voice & 'granddad jumpers'....but he was anything but, and took it in the jesting it was meant. Despite his 'quietness' when you spoke to him he had a great sense of humour, really was great company...a really decent bloke, basically.

Last edited:
I see Cooltan Arts have announced they will wind up tomorrow. They were a Hamlet charity partner for a game a year or so I recall. Great shame.

Cheer up England fans. Dulwich winning the Bostik Premier division playoff final was way more important than winning the world cup!
I'd like to think England can build steadily towards long term success in the same way the Hamlet have done over the last 9 years. This looked like a golden opportunity to win the World Cup because there was no outstanding opponent in our half of the draw following the group stage, but watching the France/Belgium semi-final I found myself thinking "don't fancy our chances against either of these".

In a few years time under the same talented and continuous management I'm hopeful England can reach their goal just as the Hamlet have done, and it won't matter that we have a tougher path to the final because we'll be strong enough to beat whoever stands in our way.

Some discussion circa. 25 mins about how sections of the seating and fencing at St George's Field were salvaged from the 'old' Champion Hill stands here:

04 It Takes A Village - Broadway To Brazil (podcast)

May be of interest, I am sure some on here can confirm how accurate this is?

The podcast as a whole is a pretty interesting look at the history of Corinthians and their current day incarnation in merger with Causals etc. Dominic Bliss is heavily involved who wrote an excellent book on Erno Erbstein and his involvement got me listening...

May be of interest, I am sure some on here can confirm how accurate this is?
Yes, that's accurate. For the final season at our old ground, after planning permission had been given for the Sainsbury's redevelopment, the first three steps of the three terraced sides were concreted over and the condemned cinder terraces behind were fenced off with pale grey corrugated panels, and it's these that have been used to build the main stand at Corinthian Casuals. I've got a feeling they may have had a turnstile or two from our old ground too, but I'm not certain now.

Last edited:
Yes, that's accurate. For the final season at our old ground, after planning permission had been given for the Sainsbury's redevelopment, the first three steps of the three terraced sides were concreted over and the condemned cinder terraces behind were fenced off with pale grey corrugated panels, and it's these that have been used to build the main stand at Corinthian Casuals. I've got a feeling they may have had a turnstile or two from our old ground too, but I'm not certain now.

Have a feeling their turnstiles came from Kew gardens...

Back
Top Bottom