Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

past tense has a blog post today about smuggling in to the London area in the 1700s - mentions Stockwell as being "a smugglers village" at the time.
Not just gin and brandy that was being smuggled as contraband:

Stockwell: The centre of tea smuggling in the 18th Century

theswan.jpg

The Swan Public House, Stockwell in the 1780s. Image courtesy of London Borough of Lambeth: archives department
Can you imagine a tax on a cuppa – our most sacred drink?

Tea used to be highly taxed, running at 119 per cent of the price of the goods. But who would think of attacking our national drink? None other than the merry monarch, King Charles II. Fearful of the political intrigues that took place when people met in the beverage houses of London to drink tea and coffee, the government of the day decided a tax would prevent this. So in 1676, the humble cup of tea felt the heavy hand of the taxman. However, the people loved the drink. No tax would stop the sipping of a cup of tea. A black market in the leaf soon developed and bootlegging became a part of everyday trading.

Tea was so popular that big money could be made illegally, while pretending it was free trading. By the early 18th century the smuggling of tea into the country had become big business.

Much of it came from Holland and was distributed from the south coast of England along a network of secret routes to the main market in the capital. The smuggling involved hundreds of people, usually organised in gangs. Ruthless in their pursuit of profit, all opposition to their smuggling was normally met with violence.

Naturally London was the biggest market. With its fashionable and wealthy society, it was the centre of the official tea trade. But many of these dealers were not above working with the smugglers, meeting with them secretly in Lambeth at the small village of Stockwell to strike deals. Here among the cottages lay a number of warehouses, owned or leased by the smuggling gangs, where tea was stored awaiting the dealers. The smugglers’ route to Stockwell ran across Clapham Common, then a wild and unfriendly place and, on a Thursday in 1743, Custom and Excise officers were tipped off about a gang that would be crossing the common with horses loaded with tea.

The armed revenue men lay in wait to ambush the gang. The smugglers – said to number more than 20 – arrived and stood their ground when confronted by the revenue men. Outnumbered, the officers retreated as the smugglers fired their guns and moved on with their contraband, cheering as they went.

The smuggling of tea into London continued until the mid-18th century when the tax was dropped to popular acclaim. It established the cuppa as our national drink.

Rushcroft Road surely, or was there a change of name?
You are right. It is one of an awful lot of typos in both the original records and the digitisation of the images on the former "Lambeth Landmark" database of the archives collection that makes online searching more random than it should be!

In the recently released 1921 Census, my Great Grandfather is listed as the Manager of the Brixton BMG (or BMC) Garage, which I believe was a Taxi Company. Anyone know where this may have been located in Brixton or have any history on the company. He appears to have been a proprietor of the company. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

1641568855415.png

In the recently released 1921 Census, my Great Grandfather is listed as the Manager of the Brixton BMG (or BMC) Garage, which I believe was a Taxi Company. Anyone know where this may have been located in Brixton or have any history on the company. He appears to have been a proprietor of the company. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

View attachment 304908
This one?

Many thanks, excellent. Just found this one from 1905 when it was the General Motor Cab Company. I wonder where this was?

i'm on the move at the moment so can't do searching etc, but if it's the place i think, it's right at the north end of brixton road, on the east side, just before it reaches the kennington junction.

Brixton celebrating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 1897

hmm.

the South Eastern and Chatham Railway (technically joint management rather than a legal merger) didn't happen until 1899. Would still have been the London Chatham and Dover in 1897.

Wonder what they were celebrating? King Edward VII's coronation? End of the Boer War?

on flickr today, tram on Coldharbour Lane at Gresham Road junction (somewhere between 1945 - 50, tram 34 became bus 45.)

Have never had Military Pickle (apparently it ceased in 1996) - I wonder what it tasted like, and if it was really "better than a salad"?
Perhaps it was killed off by the Advertising Standards people?

Have never had Military Pickle (apparently it ceased in 1996) - I wonder what it tasted like, and if it was really "better than a salad"?

Out of curiosity, I have done a bit of research - I also managed to avoid it.

and

have more. I'm not sure we missed much.

it was made in South London (Kennington) - The 'pickle works' is marked on Montford Place on the 1951 OS Map

Production got moved to Bury St Edmunds in the mid 50s, and the works is now home to Beefeater Gin.

That's right, and you can see the tower of the salvation army hq at Denmark Hill in the distance. And a bit of the Loughborough estate blocks at far left.

That's right, and you can see the tower of the salvation army hq at Denmark Hill in the distance. And a bit of the Loughborough estate blocks at far left.

:)

and looks like a chimney or something above 4th / 5th carriages - can't place that.

(i did go up the salvation army tower one london open house weekend a few years back - the weather was dismal so not that much of a view :( )

on flickr today

think it's taken from the platform at brixton station, facing east-ish, with what's now (or until recently?) sports direct (looks like you're not allowed to park on the roof any more) and brixton fire station practice tower at centre of picture

That was when it was Tesco - look at the Green Shield Stamps banners. (Double stamps on Friday for some reason)

Back
Top Bottom