Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Brixton history - photos, stories etc

on flickr today, everyday photo of vauxhall viva, routemaster on the 159, and 1950s BR suburban units on the railway bridge from 1987

Is anyone else on here old enough to remember "The Bon"?
Had a discount record bar selling deletions for 50p and a popular canteen whose stools were firmly screwed to the floor.
I moved to Brixton in 1978 - The Bon was vibrant at that time, but I think it died the death by 1982.
The Bon.jpg

Flashback have some good 80s Brixton photos here:

Fields Of The Nephilim were on at The Academy. Quite a big gig for them, that. I'd forgotten how popular they were.

Remember Gordon Petrie - the incredible hulk sized licensee of the George Canning in the early 1980s?
Well he was just on Talking Pictures TV
He was a tunnel worker in the 1972 British horror film Death Line.
The plot featured a cannibal zombie lurking in tunnels on the Piccadilly Line round Covent Garden.
Gordon was somewhat of an extra- neither eating nor eaten one might say.
"Mind the Doors" was the film's catch-phrase.

Don't see Death Line listed again on Talking Picture over the next 7 days - but it will probably be back.

Meanwhile keenies can catch a Blu-Ray revamp
death-line-blu-ray-.jpg

Brixton Buzz covered Gordon Petrie in January - but Mike Urban missed the flesh-eating side of the story!
A glimpse into Brixton’s wrestling past, Prince Kumali and the old George Canning pub (now Hootananny)

Remember Gordon Petrie - the incredible hulk sized licensee of the George Canning in the early 1980s?
Well he was just on Talking Pictures TV
He was a tunnel worker in the 1972 British horror film Death Line.
The plot featured a cannibal zombie lurking in tunnels on the Piccadilly Line round Covent Garden.
Gordon was somewhat of an extra- neither eating nor eaten one might say.
"Mind the Doors" was the film's catch-phrase.

Don't see Death Line listed again on Talking Picture over the next 7 days - but it will probably be back.

Meanwhile keenies can catch a Blu-Ray revamp
View attachment 269551

Brixton Buzz covered Gordon Petrie in January - but Mike Urban missed the flesh-eating side of the story!
A glimpse into Brixton’s wrestling past, Prince Kumali and the old George Canning pub (now Hootananny)

Wow, I saw that when I first moved to London (Either on a video or at the Prince Charles). We had an argument for years about whether it was mind the gaps or mind the doors

Reactions: CH1
We had an argument for years about whether it was mind the gaps or mind the doors

i had a similar conversation on tweeter yesterday evening

station staff or train guards on the underground calling 'mind the doors' was the analogue version of the automated 'please stand clear of the closing doors'

Flashback have some good 80s Brixton photos here:

Fields Of The Nephilim were on at The Academy. Quite a big gig for them, that. I'd forgotten how popular they were.
We supported them once. Before they went on, they all took turns to stand on some newspapers while a woman sprinkled talc over their outfits. Bless.

i had a similar conversation on tweeter yesterday evening

station staff or train guards on the underground calling 'mind the doors' was the analogue version of the automated 'please stand clear of the closing doors'

It's funny what sticks in the memory.

I must try and watch it again

This was thrust onto my email by Pinterest this morning.
Clearly a drawing rather than a photo it seems to be Brixton Theatre prior to the building of the Electric Cinema - so I guess right in the middle of Edward VII's reign.
Brixton Thetre.jpg
Apologies if its been posted up here before.

Last edited:
I've been nursing a hangover today and have looked through this entire thread. Just wanted to say thanks for what an incredible collection of images and stories - utterly fascinating.

I've got two to add - the Brixton Orphanage for Fatherless Girls. It was on Barrington Road just to the left of where Brixton East station was.

The illustration is where the schoolrooms and dormatories were - the grounds have changed but the building remains largely the same and is now 'College Green Court'.

Cheers!

Lambeth05261.jpg
Lambeth07153.jpg

I've been nursing a hangover today and have looked through this entire thread. Just wanted to say thanks for what an incredible collection of images and stories - utterly fascinating.

I've got two to add - the Brixton Orphanage for Fatherless Girls. It was on Barrington Road just to the left of where Brixton East station was.

The illustration is where the schoolrooms and dormatories were - the grounds have changed but the building remains largely the same and is now 'College Green Court'.

Cheers!
This is the building today

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 18.35.40.png

Ten years ago

Brixton history - 45 photos from July 2011, including gigs, an eviction party and the Country Show

Brixton history - 45 photos from July 2011, including gigs, an eviction party and the Country Show

Interesting in-depth piece here

Certainly the house opposite me had it's very nice squatters evicted - and was handed over to Black Roof Housing.
I don;t follow the politics of Housing Associations in depth - maybe someone can say who now owns the Black Roof properties?
The link below is perhaps an interesting example of Black Roof as an early adopter of the concept of colonialism in social housing:

Back
Top Bottom