Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben White‏@benabyad
Senior academics in UK, including @unisouthampton staff, already contacting the VC to express dismay & urge rethink http://freespeechsouthampton.blogspot.co.uk/

It is with extreme astonishment and sadness that we have to inform you that the University of Southampton has told us earlier yesterday (Monday 30 March 2015) that it intends to withdraw its permission to hold the academic conference on International Law and the State of Israel. We were told that the decision was taken on the grounds of health and safety: a number of groups may be demonstrating for or against the conference which could present risks to the safety of the participants, students and staff. The University claims that it does not have enough resources to mitigate the risks, despite a clear statement from the Police confirming that they are able to deal with the protest and ensure the security of the event....

Meanwhile the idf have shot and injured three farmers in gaza. :(
They shot and killed a fisherman the other day, he was building an artificial reef closer to the shore since Israel decided that they couldn't go out to the fishing grounds they used to use their catches have dwindled dramatically.

Meanwhile the idf have shot and injured three farmers in gaza. :(

They are trying to finally get rid of the illegal* Palestinian settlement at Susiya as well:

The state has asked the High Court of Justice for permission to demolish the ancient Palestinian village of Sussia and relocate its residents to Yatta, near Hebron, allowing for more archaeological work at the site.

The government’s intent was noted in a response to the High Court of Justice regarding a petition filled by Sussia residents and human rights organizations about a year ago.

Before this petition was filed, an additional petition was filed by the Regavim organization, funded by settler-group Amana and regional authorities in the West Bank, calling for Palestinian “illegal outposts” in Sussia to be demolished.

The state opposed the court’s temporary injunction against demolition, despite the fact it often supports such temporary injunctions when they are made against illegal Jewish outposts.

Just last month, the government approved such a temporary injunction against the demolition of two structures in the Beit El settlement, after the High Court had already made a ruling.

The petition criticizes decisions made by the Civil Administration’s planning committee to reject an alternate plan suggested by Sussia residents, stating that the relocation to Yatta is in their best interest. The residents’ petition also seeks to cancel 64 separate demolition orders against all of the 100-or-so structures in the village. Alternatively, the residents ask that the Civil Administration offer a different solution that would allow them to continue living on the land, which they own.

Attorney Kamar Mishraki-Asad, representing the Sussia residents, told Haaretz, “It’s incredible, but with the settlements, it was already ruled that Sussia land is privately owned and thousands of dunams of land in the area are privately owned by Palestinians. Despite this, for many years the army has prohibited residents from setting up their homes in the area, and has rejected any request for construction or planning permits, in order to keep them away from the Sussia settlement and to allow the settlers to continue seizing the agricultural lands, and expel the residents to Areas A and B.

“Now, after residents made great efforts and prepared plans for their village, the army continues its policy while cynically relying on planning concerns,” Mishraki-Asad added. “For years, the army has forbidden water, electricity and drainage infrastructure to be built, and now claims that expelling the residents is for their own good.”

Last Thursday, the state issued its official stance on the matter, saying that, in contrast to the Palestinians’ claim, “There was no historic Palestinian village at the archaeological site there; that the village consists of only a few seasonal residences for a few families; and the land is necessary for the continuation of archaeological work.”

It should be noted that the archaeological site at Sussia is run by the nearby Jewish settlement of the same name, and there are Jews living there in illegal structures.

Regarding its decision not to approve further construction in the area – in contrast with the policy allowing for nearby Jewish construction – the state claimed that such construction would only serve a small number of residents who are actually more connected to Yatta. It claimed that their construction plans were unreasonable, due to the need for electrical infrastructure and the local infrastructure was insufficient to provide for appropriate incorporation of residents into the job market.

The state said it was willing to allocate government-owned lands, located half a kilometer away from Yatta, for the Palestinian Sussia residents, and to assist with construction. The lands are close to the village and would be ideal for farming and grazing, it added

:facepalm:

* illegal as in the sense of the word that it is built on land that the residents own, and have lived on for hundreds of years

Chabad have a synagogue riund here, and actually have one in most large uk towns:( they put on free dinners and classes etc, and ... well ...

http://m.chabad.org/theJewishWoman/...sh/Starting-a-Jewish-Settlement-in-Israel.htm

I knew that the land I was traveling through was Judea, but I also knew that that same land was what the rest of the world called the West Bank. The thought that I was going to become a West Bank woman terrified me and made me increasingly nauseous.

The settlement was about a fifty-minute drive from Jerusalem. When you had driven past the last point where you'd think Jews would dare to make a settlement, then you were probably getting close to it. On a clear night, lights from the Hilton Hotel in Amman, Jordan, were plainly visible from our settlement.

In June of 1981, the Jewish Agency, in cooperation with Yeshiva Aish HaTorah, sponsored and founded the settlement of Maalei Amos. We were among the first ten families. Water, food supplies, gas and electricity could not always be counted on in those days.

:mad: :(

@Belalmd12: Israel's navy is shelling #Gaza beach right now. Heavy explosions are heard.

@OccPalGaza: Now: Israeli occupation navy shelling many many rounds towards Gaza- 1150pm

Christs sake.​
I found your article very interesting ( but as someone not familiar with Jewish, Zionist, politics/ differences) I found, after reading it, and other comments on here, I couldn't help come away with the belief that the Zionist faction is more than prepared to see the worldwide diaspora suffer at the hands of the European hard right in order to consolidate it's position in Israel?
I admit to being a bit thick on this issue, but I have never understood anti semitism or the reasons behind it, but the links on here, and your article, seem to indicate Zionists are actively seeking to promote a culture of ''victimhood'? amongst European Jews, and the only real alternative is ' flight back to Judea' ?
Feel free to correct me if I have got it wrong!
But there has got to be something wrong in this country where it perfectly legal for UK citizens to enlist in the IDF but others enlisting in anti IS forces risk criminal prosecution?

I found your article very interesting ( but as someone not familiar with Jewish, Zionist, politics/ differences) I found, after reading it, and other comments on here, I couldn't help come away with the belief that the Zionist faction is more than prepared to see the worldwide diaspora suffer at the hands of the European hard right in order to consolidate it's position in Israel?

One of the ideological bases of modern-day nationalist Zionism is that if the Diaspora can be used to leverage what the state of Israel wants, then it'll happen. This goes as far as actual promoting anti-Semitism in countries with large Diaspora communities, and committing acts of terrorism in Diaspora communities - ostensibly by rightists or other opposition - in order to encourage unrest and emigration.

I admit to being a bit thick on this issue, but I have never understood anti semitism or the reasons behind it, but the links on here, and your article, seem to indicate Zionists are actively seeking to promote a culture of ''victimhood'? amongst European Jews, and the only real alternative is ' flight back to Judea' ?

It's a means to an end. if the Diaspora suffers anti-Semitism then the state of Israel benefits, whether from increased donations from Diaspora Jews to the various official funds, the emigration of European Jews or the sympathy that communities under attack can garner. It's all good for nationalist Zionism.

Feel free to correct me if I have got it wrong!
But there has got to be something wrong in this country where it perfectly legal for UK citizens to enlist in the IDF but others enlisting in anti IS forces risk criminal prosecution?

It's a legality. The IDF, however repulsive, is a legally-constituted state force. Anti-IS forces are ad hoc coalitions of adventurers with no legal basis (although arguably they have a strong moral basis).

10 confirmed Israeli airstrikes last night, plus Naval shelling.

@OccPalGaza
Israeli occupation issued their statement confirming air strikes on Gaza so that is the signal it is over with..for now. Good night 443am

Al Quds Brigades site targetted in airstrike, probably in response to the alleged rocket fired from Gaza on Tuesday - even though afaik, no one has claimed responsibility as of yet.

Suspected Jewish arsonists torch church in Israel

A fire ripped through one of the most famous Catholic churches in Israel on Thursday, damaging the roof and burning prayer books in what authorities believe was an attack by Jewish arsonists.
The fire broke out at the Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fish in the middle of the night, causing extensive damage to the inside and outside of the building, said Israel police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.
The modern building is built on the remains of a fifth-century Byzantine church and features a Byzantine mosaic floor that was not harmed. The church marks the traditional spot of Jesus' miracle of the loaves and fish, and is located on the shore of the Sea of Galilee in northern Israel. It is a popular destination for Palestinian Christians and pilgrims visiting the Holy Land.
Father Gregory Collins, head of the Order of Saint Benedict in Israel, which maintains the site, said more than 5,000 people visit the church daily. He said the church would be closed for the next three days due to the fire damage.
"It's deplorable, absolutely deplorable. I consider such an attack to be not just an attack on a religious site, on a sanctuary, but also on one of the most visited places in Israel," Collins said. "It is also an attack on freedom of speech, democracy and the right to live here."

I truly feel sorry for the Christians of the Middle-East. No one gives a shit about them - they are scapegoated for Western foreign policy while Western governments and their populations do nothing for them, Christian Zionists in the US turn a blind eye to Israel's poor treatment of them, Assad uses them successfully as pawns in order to create a government vs terrorist narrative and it works because they are in turn targeted by even moderate opposition groups and that is before you get to ISIS' treatment of them.

They should all be offered automatic right to asylum.

I truly feel sorry for the Christians of the Middle-East. No one gives a shit about them - they are scapegoated for Western foreign policy while Western governments and their populations do nothing for them, Christian Zionists in the US turn a blind eye to Israel's poor treatment of them, Assad uses them successfully as pawns in order to create a government vs terrorist narrative and it works because they are in turn targeted by even moderate opposition groups and that is before you get to ISIS' treatment of them.

it was of course rumours of ill treatment of xians in the holy land which helped make the first crusade such a popular event.

they do seem to get the shitty end of the stick- the syriac\assyrians in syria, the copts in egypt- I remember during the swine flu panic whichever borderline psycho was ruling egypt at that particular moment had all the copts pigs destroyed using health pretext to commit economic terrorism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom