Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fuck it, I'm gonna enjoy the games

Bahnhof Strasse

Met up with Hannah Courtoy a week next Tuesday
Done enough bitching, still don't like the corporate nature of the beast, but it's the UK, what do you expect?

The show starts tonight. We've paid enough for this party, let's enjoy it.

A small story I heard this morning has turned my cynicism around...

In my town there is a doctor. He took a 2 year sabbatical before Beijing and won gold. He again has taken the last 2 years off and is gonna go for gold yet again.

He acknowledges that his sport can not pay the bills, the lottery gives him enough to get by on, but nowhere near as much as a doctor's wage would give him, yet he's doing it, for the shear pride of representing Britain and doing his best. The vast majority of Olympic athletes are in the same situation, only a tiny fraction earn mega bucks from their sport.

So my cards are on the table, I'm gonna support Team GB and all the other Olympians who have worked so hard to get where they are.

And if any city on Earth can pull off a blinding games, it's London, the greatest city on the planet!

Come on LONDON!!!!!

Someone's just had a Russian on the phone for an hour, weeping about how her French husband and her are separating.

Good for you. It's an event not to be missed, even if you don't attend any of the sports.

I'd recommend what we did: after we were lax in getting any tickets for the regular events, we picked up Paralympics tickets, which, shamefully, don't sell as well. The events were thoroughly enjoyable, and had that extra element of the additional work these athletes had to put in in order to compete. There were moments that were truly moving at some of the events.

Back
Top Bottom