Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French Cane Fighting

More interesting too I think, as we fight in continuous 1.5 or 2 min rounds in a 9m circle.

Hits have to be armed correctly and delivered to certain target areas, but it is the way strikes are changed together that makes it a fun sport. There is also a style contest once a year in France for the most visually exciting fighter.

I'd call it a combat sport rather than Martial art, there is a defence application though.

So does that have similar roots to things like savate? There were a couple of stances that looked similar from what little I know of that particular martial art.

The moves look similar to escrima. I suppose there are a limited number of ways to twat someone with a stick.

The big difference is the length of cane, the footwork and the angle of strike ie Canne is all horizontal and vertical, escrima/kali/arnis is mainly on the diagonal (yes there are other strikes like abenicos etc).

Plus it is more of a sport with roots in a martial system rather than explicitly a defence system.......

I did Doce Pares/ Inosnato blend Kali for a few years.

So does that have similar roots to things like savate? There were a couple of stances that looked similar from what little I know of that particular martial art.

Yes, they have the same roots. Savate comes from jeu marsielles/chausson (a possible pre-runner of Capoiera), Zipota (a basque art) and Savate (French/Parisian foot fighting) these were blended with English boxing to create modern Savate.

The footwork is essentially the same but in Canne it is more common to use both leads.

Canne de Combat, or La Canne des Armes, was traditionally studied in the same salles or schools as Savate in the same lessons.

Within the Canne umbrella is Cane, Double Cane, Grand Baton (big sticks) and petite baton (truncheon size sticks) although single cane is the most common art.

I am an Initiateur in Savate so I do practice both and combine the two in Cane Chausson, and sometime spar with one glove a cane and kicks as panache......

Here are the wiki entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canne_de_combat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate

And the male and female finals:

Here is my favourite fighter doing some tricks:

Back
Top Bottom