Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Frasier

Balbi

Hey, Dean Yager!
They've been running a Frasier marathon this weekend on Paramount 2.

:cool:

I'd forgotten just how well written the whole thing was and the interplay between the actors is flawless, arguably one of the best situation comedies of the nineties/early zeroes.

:D

yeah it is pretty cool...i watched upto season 5 on DVD my least favourtie is the first season, but the rest are really good

Niles3.jpg

:cool: my hero

I fucking love Frasier, the quality control for most of it was amazing. One of my happiest memories is watching a repeat of 'The Radio Ham' with my best mate one night after we'd smoked a lot of fine skunk weed; rolling around on the floor and crying with laughter, for once, was not an exaggeration.

Most of my funniest Frasier moments involve Niles - wonderfully written character. (Dancing with Daphne, ironing his trousers and fainting - completely silent but fab).

I saw him on Broadway two years ago in Spamalot - he came out afterwards with Hank Azaria and signed autographs, both were lovely and polite; Hank did his "Moe from Simpsons" voice for a couple of kids.

Very rarely does a sitcom come along with the edge of Frasier. It is (imho) the best sitcom ever to come out of the USA.
I am the proud owner of the first 5 series and look forward to getting the rest as the years go by.

Funny moment? When Niles has come down from the roof of the lift covered in grease and asks Daphne what gets grease of suits.
" Suede settes seem to be doing the job very well" Frasier snarls!. Classic!

Niles: "well, you know what I think about pop psychology".

Frasier: " i know what you think about everything. I doubt you've ever had an undisclosed thought in your life"

Niles (icily): "actually, I'm having one now...."

i love it!

only just recently realised how good it is though, always got unfairly overshadowed by friends.

i love roz.:cool:

Niles: I met someone once flying home from college. I got bumped into first class, found myself sitting there next to a positively ravishing woman. She was a bit older and I was trying desperately to be suave, so when she leaned over and suggested we join the Mile High Club, rather than admit I was unfamiliar with the term, I whispered back, "I really don't travel enough to make that worthwhile." God, that was twenty years ago.

[starts to chuckle, then]

Niles: Nope, still can't laugh about it.

:D

jiggajagga said:
Very rarely does a sitcom come along with the edge of Frasier. It is (imho) the best sitcom ever to come out of the USA.
Ive watched a shit load of Frasier too, and there are some great moments, but there are so many episodes quite a few are done by the numbers I find.

Ive only recently discovered Seinfeld and although in many ways its more "ethnic" (a lot of the comedy is very specific to American Jewish families) I think I prefer it over Frasier - the writing is more truthful, and stems from the real experiences of a the four or five writers - the Larry David and Larry Charles penned episodes are great. I really love Curb your Enthusiasm too...

The cast in Seinfled are really strong:
Michael Richards as Kramer is incredible - on the DVDs you get the making ofs, and Michael becomes possesed by the character, real method acting - if someone slips up on set he gets mad, he nails every last detail, step and expression.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a really unique female character in US tv, and she paid her dues with years of Saturdya NIght Live sketches

The real star of Seinfled for me is Jason Alexander:
costanzanaked.jpg

, he's another heavyweight from US theatre.

Sorry to bang on and hijack this thread, but Im preaching, having recently been converted - Season 2 onward is great...WHy wasnt Seinfeld ever been on mainstream telly?

Seinfeld is good, but personally I think it relies too much on character quirks - they never *quite* become human.

I think the brilliance of Frasier comes from making its characters really lovable as well as using their quirks for humour. The way the Niles and Daphne storyline developed was amazing - he's not a romantic lead, he's not written as a romantic lead, but it's extraordinarily touching. The scene where they're dancing is probably my all time favourite.

Just occasionally - very occasionally - the farce becomes too obvious and reminds me just slightly of badly done productions of Joe Orton, but that's very rare. I'm not a fan of farce, but Frasier does it perfectly without reducing its characters to simple caricatures.

Yep - another fan here. :)

ymu said:
I'm not a fan of farce, but Frasier does it perfectly without reducing its characters to simple caricatures.
Yep - another fan here. :)

Yes, Brilliantly done, like the one where the Frasiers buy that resteraunt ( never been able to spell that damned word!!) and Niles is pissing about with those eels, trying to stab one with a knife. Daphne says " For Gods sake!!" and grabs one and smashes its head on the table edge.
Niles' face at that moment is stored forever in my memory. Classic farce.

Balbi said:
They've been running a Frasier marathon this weekend on Paramount 2.:D

*shameless plug alert* ... and will be doing a series per month up to and including November. With a 'best of ...' weekend to feature in December :)

Frasier is returning!

Not sure how to feel about this. At its best Frasier was for me one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, period. It lost much of its sparkle in the final seasons, once Niles and Daphne got together, but overall it was superb. I'd love to see a successful reboot but it's going to be a rather tall order to make justice to the original show...

I can remember hearing an interview "sometime ago" with Kelsey Grammer where he mentioned that the show might be being revived - and from the interview I hoped that it was:-
  1. Going to happen
  2. Wasn't going to be awful
I'm still, cautiously, awaiting in some anticipation

Frasier is returning!

Not sure how to feel about this. At its best Frasier was for me one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, period. It lost much of its sparkle in the final seasons, once Niles and Daphne got together, but overall it was superb. I'd love to see a successful reboot but it's going to be a rather tall order to make justice to the original show...
Yes, it was much better when the Niles/Daphne thing was unrequited.

And John Mahoney -- who felt necessary as the 'normal bloke rolling his eyes at Frasier and Niles shenanigans' -- has died in the meantime too :(.

Friend of mine sat next to Kelsey Grammer at a dinner party, they got on well and when it came to time to go they turned to K and asked him what he did for a living (!). Admittedly they can be a bit slow but thats one that cannot be lived down.
I once got a friend request from Jane Leeves on Facebook. I'm not sure why. She went to the local dance school where I grew up and we're roughly the same age but I don't every remember meeting her back then.

Back
Top Bottom