Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former players...

Junior James seems to be a fan of squad numbers and names on shirts. He's liked an online post by Farnham Town's owner explaining why their men's first XI will have both next season. As well as the Lewes post about Malachai.

Junior James seems to be a fan of squad numbers and names on shirts. He's liked an online post by Farnham Town's owner explaining why their men's first XI will have both next season. As well as the Lewes post about Malachai.
Squad numbers are useful for two reasons. Firstly, every player can have a shirt in their preferred size, although I don't like using numbers exceeding the number of players in the squad. Secondly, regular supporters will soon become familiar with each player's number, making identification easier. Names on shirts are completely superfluous and unnecessary to me, they just add to the clutter of multiple sponsorship and branding logos.

I'm not sold on Shirt Numbers, especially the half and half thing we did last season, where some did and some didn't.

I think the thing that throws me is when the team are listed numerically, which can put attackers first and defenders last. eg Manny Parry I think he wore 20 last season, which just feels wrong for a central defender to be listed last on the team sheet where I would expect a forward!

I'm not sold on Shirt Numbers, especially the half and half thing we did last season, where some did and some didn't.

I think the thing that throws me is when the team are listed numerically, which can put attackers first and defenders last. eg Manny Parry I think he wore 20 last season, which just feels wrong for a central defender to be listed last on the team sheet where I would expect a forward!
The Isthmian League only allowed the use of numbers 1-20 last season, so with a squad of more than 20 (before even accounting for comings and goings during the season) some players inevitably had to share a number, then when both those players were selected one of them had to switch to a different number previously used by a third player not selected for that match.

Other than making it a bit easier for everyone to have a shirt in their size, it became a bit pointless. Almost everyone wore more than one number over the course of the season, and some numbers were used by multiple players. We may as well have had 1-11 starting and 12-16 on the bench

World Cup squads have been numbered 1-22/23/26 since at least 1966 and I've always felt that works well.

Farnham have suggested the Isthmian are allowing up to shirt number 30 this season.The 20 rule was actively enforced and fines were issued to clubs who listed a number 21 etc.

Farnham have suggested the Isthmian are allowing up to shirt number 30 this season.The 20 rule was actively enforced and fines were issued to clubs who listed a number 21 etc.
I think that was the rule in National South. Most teams will use more than 30 players during the course of the season, even though they're unlikely to be carrying more in the first team squad at any given time. Some numbers will need to be recycled, as happened during our relegation season. I don't really see why you can't go beyond 30, as long as you don't leave any lower numbers unused.

Jordan Cheadle has signed for Hampton
He's already been there for a year, but hasn't played since November due to injury:

Ronnie Vint has signed for.............................................................................................................Love Island 😱

I watched 5 minutes of Love Island to see what all the fuss was about.

Well, fuck me. I try not to be one of them "society is going to hell in a handcart" types but christ.

I watched 5 minutes of Love Island to see what all the fuss was about.

Well, fuck me. I try not to be one of them "society is going to hell in a handcart" types but christ.
The 30 second trailers for shows like this are always more than enough to put me off actually watching them, even for 5 minutes. The absolute state of this country is shocking in so many ways. I often feel I was far better suited to the 20th century.

Dan Smith has joined Folkestone.
They've made a few eye-catching signings including Joan Luque, who was Hakan's star forward in Maidstone's National South championship winning season before suffering an ACL injury, Tonbridge keeper Jonny Henly, and playmaker Jack Jebb who has served several of the bigger budget National South clubs.

Lat Sunday I knocked up a spreadsheet of everyone else's transfer activity so far, which I've attached below. (Other than Billericay and Folkestone I haven't checked for more activity since then.)

Players confirmed as retained are in black. (Asterisk = new terms offered but not yet signed.) Players in red are new signings.

Almost half of clubs haven't announced anything so far. Billericay seem to have been the most active with a lot of existing players confirmed as retained, plus several new signings. (They were also quick to get most of their business done early last year.) Cray Valley have retained 17 of their promotion winning squad that lost just one league match all season, but so far no announcement on star forward Kyrell Lisbie. I would see them as a serious contender for the top 5 at this stage. Last season's surprise package Wingate & Finchley didn't announce anything until after pre-season matches had started last year, but a couple of their players have already turned up at clubs in other divisions, so I think they may struggle to avoid the break up of that squad with what is reputedly a skinny budget.

Attachments

• 24-25 Isthmian Premier Squads.pdf
    103.1 KB · Views: 18
Justin Fevrier seems better pulling together a good squad at Chipstead. They also announced Harvey Keogh alongside Richard Orlu. One of the better local keeper for my money. He's had a rough season or two but should be playing above Step Five in my opinion. Looks like they aim to bounce straight back to step four.

Lat Sunday I knocked up a spreadsheet of everyone else's transfer activity so far, which I've attached below. (Other than Billericay and Folkestone I haven't checked for more activity since then.)

Players confirmed as retained are in black. (Asterisk = new terms offered but not yet signed.) Players in red are new signings.

Almost half of clubs haven't announced anything so far. Billericay seem to have been the most active with a lot of existing players confirmed as retained, plus several new signings. (They were also quick to get most of their business done early last year.) Cray Valley have retained 17 of their promotion winning squad that lost just one league match all season, but so far no announcement on star forward Kyrell Lisbie. I would see them as a serious contender for the top 5 at this stage. Last season's surprise package Wingate & Finchley didn't announce anything until after pre-season matches had started last year, but a couple of their players have already turned up at clubs in other divisions, so I think they may struggle to avoid the break up of that squad with what is reputedly a skinny budget.
A brilliant resource as always, thanks Pink Panther.

Feels like dominoes are slowly starting to fall further up the pyramid, which you’d guess would start a trickle down the steps. Would also imagine holidays are still being had for the rest of this week at least.

Fair play to Cray Valley giving the vast majority of their squad the opportunity to have another go. Kyrell Lisbie joined Braintree yesterday, which is a great step up for him.

Last edited:

In case helpful: Dover have retained three players from last season. Announced a couple of days ago - one's called Hatcher. Horsham have also kept some players, including Harvey Sparks who's been there for about 4 decades. Again, announced a day or so ago.

In case helpful: Dover have retained three players from last season. Announced a couple of days ago - one's called Hatcher. Horsham have also kept some players, including Harvey Sparks who's been there for about 4 decades. Again, announced a day or so ago.
Thanks. I scrolled through every club's twitter feed for the last month on Sunday looking for announcements when I had nothing better to do. It's easier to update it for all clubs every couple of weeks now, rather than trying to log every new announcement as it happens.

Justin Fevrier seems better pulling together a good squad at Chipstead. They also announced Harvey Keogh alongside Richard Orlu. One of the better local keeper for my money. He's had a rough season or two but should be playing above Step Five in my opinion. Looks like they aim to bounce straight back to step four.
Fevriers management record isnt great and having seen Chipstead last season they were in a world of trouble. It may be a new team being pulled together but theres a lot of work to do. The money club of Whyteleafe are going to proper fancy that league

Back
Top Bottom