Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Mason Greenwood has rape charges dropped

Petcha

This is being discussed on the Man United thread but I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who don't avidly read that and might have an opinion.

The Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood is no longer facing criminal proceedings over attempted rape after prosecutors dropped the case against him.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said there was “no longer a realistic prospect of conviction” after key witnesses withdrew their cooperation from the investigation.

Greenwood, 21, was arrested and later charged with attempted rape after an investigation launched in January 2022. The striker, who has played once for England, denied the charges and had been preparing to go on trial later this year until the CPS dropped the case on Thursday.
Manchester United face a huge decision over Mason Greenwood | Jamie Jackson
In a short statement released on his behalf, Greenwood said: “I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support. There will be no further comment at this time.”

A CPS spokesperson said: “We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review. In this case, a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

She recorded him at the very least threatening to rape her while she begged him not to. Which suggests it wasn't the first time if she went to those lengths. Recording below. Warning it's quite upsetting.

The victim dropped out of the process so he's been let off. Being paid tens of thousands of pounds a week for the next two years when his contract expires, and has been on full pay since the investigation began. It's sickening. The evidence is damning but he's walking. I know the CPS has a tough job but the laws need updating. Quickly.

If only people could be sent directly to prison on the basis of an audio clip posted to YouTube.

Did you listen to it? He's threatening to rape her.

'Open your f*cking legs love'

'But I don't want sex'

'I'm gonna f*ck you'

He also breached bail by calling her in the interim which seems to be going unpunished too. No clue as to what the contents of that conversation was but she dropped out of the process shortly after

Basically the cps are fucked if they are going up against somebody who can chuck millions at their defence.

73220801-12299631-Mason_Greenwood_posted_on_Instagram_to_reveal_his_partner_had_gi-m-20_1689345372924.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has baby with girlfriend

I really love being a queer female football fan. Misogyny on one side (look at all the players supporting Mendy) and homophobia from the other (like all the Liverpool fans* defending Jordan Henderson going to Saudi Arabia, saying he was 'pressured into supporting the alphabet people', throwing a hissyfit every time Liverpool do anything Pride-related and posting photos of gay men in bondage gear because ALL LGBTQ people are like that).

* Tbf all football fandoms have a homophobic element, there were some pretty nasty comments from Wednesday fans when the Rainbow Owls were launched, and I know this sounds racist but a lot of foreign fans of Big 6 teams are IMMENSELY homophobic

If only people could be sent directly to prison on the basis of an audio clip posted to YouTube.
if only this country took rape seriously. It's really not full of lying money-grabbing whores making up rape allegations for a quick buck, like footballers and their fans think it is. A lot of rapes or sexual assaults don't even get reported. I didn't report mine when I was sexually assaulted.

I swear Dele Alli, an actual abuse survivor, got far less sympathy than Mendy or Greenwood did.

He's not been found criminally guilty of anything. Man United aren't making a legal decision on anything, they're making (or by all accounts failing to make) a moral decision - there are things in the public domain that demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that he's guilty of being a nasty, dangerous cunt.

He has the right to resume his life outside of prison, he doesn't have an automatic right to continue as a Man Utd professional footballer. Fans have the right, nay obligation, to make his life on the football pitch a living hell - since his club are too spineless to do anything on moral grounds, make them make a PR and commercial decision instead.

Why certain footballers with all that fame and money resort to rape is beyond me other than the fact that they must be a bunch of cunts

He has the right to resume his life outside of prison, he doesn't have an automatic right to continue as a Man Utd professional footballer.

Today we cheered the Lionesses on, Sunday we shall do the same. Everyone agrees that women's football is da bomb. But Man U and the clubs that take Evans, Goodwillie etc. are slapping those and all women in the face, saying loud and clear that rapists are fine so long as they can bring in money for us.

If he's not been found guilty of anything, no matter how much we think he's guilty, (in my opinion, on the balance of probabilities, he is guilty) he has the right to resume his life.
Tbf no one's stopping his right to resume his life... the argument is about whether professional football clubs should employ him. He could just get a regular job like the rest of us.
If it happened to a teacher, a social worker, care worker etc there is a good chance they'd lose their job and not pass the necessary police safe guarding checks so would have to seek different employment.

He's not been found criminally guilty of anything. Man United aren't making a legal decision on anything, they're making (or by all accounts failing to make) a moral decision - there are things in the public domain that demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that he's guilty of being a nasty, dangerous cunt.

He has the right to resume his life outside of prison, he doesn't have an automatic right to continue as a Man Utd professional footballer. Fans have the right, nay obligation, to make his life on the football pitch a living hell - since his club are too spineless to do anything on moral grounds, make them make a PR and commercial decision instead.
It's going to depend on how well he plays, if he plays well then the Man U fans are going to forgive him. If he plays badly then accusations of rape will be hurled at him constantly. It's a safe bet that Non Man-U fans are going to rub his face in it every time he comes out of the tunnel. How long he and Man U can turn a blind eye/ear to that will be interesting.

Tbf no one's stopping his right to resume his life... the argument is about whether professional football clubs should employ him. He could just get a regular job like the rest of us.
If it happened to a teacher, a social worker, care worker etc there is a good chance they'd lose their job and not pass the necessary police safe guarding checks so would have to seek different employment.

I really have my doubts that would be the case, if the situation was the same as this - they'd absolutely suspend him once they became aware of it, and especially when he was charged, but once he has been acquitted in the way he was it would be such a risk to dismiss him. Any ET that was brought would probably inevitably see the victim at the heart of this case appear and say that the decision to dismiss had a big negative effect on them.

Plus DBS might not even flag up the acquittal if it wasn't relevant to the job they were going for.

His employer suspended him pending a police investigation, the investigation is over and no charges. I don't really see why his employer should overrule or go against the police judgement. It seems they are also doing their own extra investigation though, so it seems fair to accept their decision.

His employer suspended him pending a police investigation, the investigation is over and no charges. I don't really see why his employer should overrule or go against the police judgement. It seems they are also doing their own extra investigation though, so it seems fair to accept their decision.

It wasn't the police's judgement, it was the CPS. They dropped it because the victim dropped out, for whatever reason which is quite common in rape cases. But I think anyone in their right mind who listens to that recording at the top of the thread which has now been removed but im sure can be found online again for anyone with the stomach knows the guy might have allegations to answer (and I'm being diplomatic there).

I'm a United supporter. Can't believe there's even a chance he'll take the field again at Old Trafford.

I really have my doubts that would be the case, if the situation was the same as this - they'd absolutely suspend him once they became aware of it, and especially when he was charged, but once he has been acquitted in the way he was it would be such a risk to dismiss him. Any ET that was brought would probably inevitably see the victim at the heart of this case appear and say that the decision to dismiss had a big negative effect on them.

Plus DBS might not even flag up the acquittal if it wasn't relevant to the job they were going for.
I don't think the matter can be addressed or judged by employment law . It needs to be addressed on the basis of whether the club want to associate itself with an employee who will always be remembered for rape and domestic violence. Any charity or promotional work around domestic violence or violence against women that the club might wish to do ( and no doubt might as a pang of conscience ) with be ridiculed for hypocrisy. It's a stain that won't go away tbh. We need to call time on domestic violence, most football supporters would, I'm sure agree with that.

It wasn't the police's judgement, it was the CPS. They dropped it because the victim dropped out, for whatever reason which is quite common in rape cases. But I think anyone in their right mind who listens to that recording at the top of the thread which has now been removed but im sure can be found online again for anyone with the stomach knows the guy might have allegations to answer (and I'm being diplomatic there).

I'm a United supporter. Can't believe there's even a chance he'll take the field again at Old Trafford.
But how can you possibly judge based on a short recording? I don't doubt it's horrific - haven't heard it - but can't be judge jury and executioner on that alone. That's why we have a justice system. I wouldn't expect my employer to take it up themselves.

Presumably people are also aware he is still with the woman and they have since had a child together.

But how can you possibly judge based on a short recording? I don't doubt it's horrific - haven't heard it - but can't be judge jury and executioner on that alone. That's why we have a justice system. I wouldn't expect my employer to take it up themselves.
Oh, i expect your employer could still get rid off you for bringing the company into disrepute.
Presumably people are also aware he is still with the woman and they have a child together.
And? That's relevant how?

Eta I've no idea if that's true or not. And since the complainant surely has anonymity, how would anyone know?

Oh, i expect your employer could still get rid off you for bringing the company into disrepute.

And? That's relevant how?

Eta I've no idea if that's true or not. And since the complainant surely has anonymity, how would anyone know?
I doubt they could comfortably but it's more about whether they should.

It's well known. I think it's interesting information when assessing the whole situation. Maybe she thinks he's matured and learned from the error of his ways from when he was 18?

Against the police judgment. Catch yourself on. Police aren't judges. And haven't the past couple of years taught you something about the number of nonces and rapists in the police?

I doubt they could comfortably but it's more about whether they should.

It's well known. I think it's interesting information when assessing the whole situation. Maybe she thinks he's matured and learned from the error of his ways from when he was 18?
What's the point of coercive and controlling behaviour if it doesn't coerce or control? Why do you assume she is still with him wholly of her own volition?

Back
Top Bottom