Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Flash Gordon. 1980

Yes but the new film isn't a remake of the 1980s film, it's a remake of the original strip, and that is what was being discussed.
If you insist on splitting hairs, John Carpenter's The Thing was a more faithful adaptation of Who Goes There ? by John Campbell Jr. than The Thing from Another World from 1951 and it commonly gets referred to as a remake. It usually comes up when the best remakes of all time are discussed. So it's not wrong to refer to this upcoming version as a remake of the 1980 film (and not the serials, which essentially were a different medium).

If you insist on splitting hairs, John Carpenter's The Thing was a more faithful adaptation of Who Goes There ? by John Campbell Jr. than The Thing from Another World from 1951 and it commonly gets referred to as a remake. It usually comes up when the best remakes of all time are discussed. So it's not wrong to refer to this upcoming version as a remake of the 1980 film.
As is the planet of the apes remake and the ending everyone hated. All totally fine by me, but what was being discussed here was the new film which is looking back to the original material, I don't think it is splitting hairs to say, that they are not remaking the 1980s film or story, they are making another flash gordon film.

As is the planet of the apes remake and the ending everyone hated. All totally fine by me, but what was being discussed here was the new film which is looking back to the original material, I don't think it is splitting hairs to say, that they are not remaking the 1980s film or story, they are making another flash gordon film.
Merely repeating yourself doesn't give your argument more weight. Lets resume this discussion when the film is out, which will in all likelihood be about Flash Gordon saving the earth from Ming the Merciless......again !

Merely repeating yourself doesn't give your argument more weight. Lets resume this discussion when the film is out, which will in all likelihood be about Flash Gordon saving the earth from Ming the Merciless......again !
Like the comic strip.
Hopefully he is a polo player.

This was the rocket in the highly forgettable early 70s spoof 'Flesh Gordon' ( not so forgettable that I don't remember it though)
1628412921911.png

Compare with Bezos's

1628413217779.png

I don't know the 50s tv series, but I saw some of the movie serials from the 30s which I remember being shown on tv when the film came out. The film is quite faithful to that. There only is so much amusement to be had from toy rockets wobbling along on strings though.

There was one summer when I was a kid and every evening RTE played the old Flash Gordon black and white series followed by the original Star Trek series.
It was great!! 😁

Eta ..they also played Harold Lloyds old comedies

There was one summer when I was a kid and every evening RTE played the old Flash Gordon black and white series followed by the original Star Trek series.
It was great!! 😁

Eta ..they also played Harold Lloyds old comedies
I thought that was every summer. There was Flash Gordon but also some other sci-fi from the same period (am original creation at the time I think)

'Hooray for Harold Lloyd' was channel 4 in the afternoons I think. It was basically highlights. If you saw the original films as a kid you would know, they are super long and a bit tedious apart from the said highlights.

I thought that was every summer. There was Flash Gordon but also some other sci-fi from the same period (am original creation at the time I think)

'Hooray for Harold Lloyd' was channel 4 in the afternoons I think. It was basically highlights. If you saw the original films as a kid you would know, they are super long and a bit tedious apart from the said highlights.

I dont remember every summer.
We didnt have channel 4.
But yes...Hooray for Harold Lloyd was the series. Shorts. You're right.

I just remember looking forward to watching them and enjoying them a lot.

Nope, Harold Lloyd's films aren't tedious, they are classics and they were wonderfully inventive.

It was on BBC2 and predated Channel 4 by several years 🙂. Seems Harold Lloyd retained all the rights to his work and charged channels big money to show them. HFHL - was pretty much recycling pieces of a 1962 film (itself composed of highlights) called “Harold Lloyd’s World of Laughter”.

It was on BBC2 and predated Channel 4 by several years 🙂. Seems Harold Lloyd retained all the rights to his work and charged channels big money to show them. HFHL - was pretty much recycling pieces of a 1962 film (itself composed of highlights) called “Harold Lloyd’s World of Laughter”.
I got a box set of all his films on DVD to review. Arse numbing stuff. . . . . "Finally, that fucking clock!".

Nope, Harold Lloyd's films aren't tedious, they are classics and they were wonderfully inventive.
The wonderful and inventive bits are truly great, but they are surrounded by very very long periods of uninteresting camerawork and dull plot. Lots of talking too, or rather on screen captions, that really slows it down.

Would rather the comic strip/Buster Crabbe series be realised in full glory, though.

Sure, there's been misfires but maybe Taiko Waititi is too obvious a choice?

Will still watch, mind.

Would rather the comic strip/Buster Crabbe series be realised in full glory, though.

Sure, there's been misfires but maybe Taiko Waititi is too obvious a choice?

Will still watch, mind.
Someone call call Ken Loach !

The original director for the 1980 film was Nicolas Roeg. Unfortunately Dino De Laurentiis fired him after a year of preproduction.

Back
Top Bottom