Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First Eurostar on its way to St. Pancras

but what price the lack of hassle, stress, queuing, comfort and ease of travel for the train? I know which I'd prefer.

Really - do trains from Bath stop right beside the Eurostar departure platform? - I didn't realise that all trains into London went to St Pancras now - that's real progress - not having to lug your stuff off a train, down the tube etc. etc. etc. etc.

Having to transfer from one train onto the tube, off again and through another station - that'd be real hassle, never mind the stress of queueing and not having to put up with the discomfort of standing on the tube - thank goodness it's not the case!!!!!

Really - do trains from Bath stop right beside the Eurostar departure platform? - I didn't realise that all trains into London went to St Pancras now - that's real progress - not having to lug your stuff off a train, down the tube etc. etc. etc. etc.

Having to transfer from one train onto the tube, off again and through another station - that'd be real hassle, never mind the stress of queueing and not having to put up with the discomfort of standing on the tube - thank goodness it's not the case!!!!!
You really haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about, have you?

From the article (which you clearly didn't bother reading)

09.40 The train draws into Paddington and I'm off to get the Tube to St Pancras. The five-stop journey on the Circle Line, with its regular delays at Edgware Road, could prove tricky. In fact, I'm there in no time at all, though the recorded announcement - "Alight here for national rail services" - is yet to acknowledge St Pancras's new international status.

10.05 I'm at St Pancras a full hour before my departure, and, with a flexible ticket, I might even have been able to transfer to an earlier train. As it is, I've plenty of time to admire this great temple to travel. At the platform-side Champagne bar people are necking bubbly like 1920s aristos about to embark for Constantinople.

10.25 Straightforward check-in, customs clearance and security - no nonsense with water bottles or belt removing - followed by a half-hour wait in the comfortable lounge. Then it's time to board and a moving ramp leads us up towards the light. It's a bit like that scene in Spielberg's Close Encounters, except that we end up not on a spaceship but on the platform beneath the gasp-inducing iron and glass shed roof.

11.05 Comfortable seats. Luggage space galore. This is travelling. We slip smoothly out of the station on High Speed 1, the newly completed £5.8 billion rail link, and as we slip underground, accelerating, it occurs to me we're among the very first people ever to have travelled at this speed across the capital. Then we're crossing the blur that is Kent, briefly running alongside the M2 near Rochester at an optimum 186mph to leave its sorry traffic for dust. After just 55 minutes, we emerge from the Tunnel onto French soil, and noon becomes 1pm.

13.30 Lunch, a cardboard tub of excellent mushroom and chestnut pasta (£4.50) from French caterers Fleury Michon knocks First Great Western sandwiches for six.

From the article (which you clearly didn't bother reading)

"09.40 The train draws into Paddington and I'm off to get the Tube to St Pancras. The five-stop journey on the Circle Line, with its regular delays at Edgware Road, could prove tricky."

Lucky it was only 25 minutes in transit between stations - no hassle - my arse......

"Lucky it was only 25 minutes in transit between stations - no hassle - my arse......
But it didn't prove tricky. in fact he arrived so early at St Pancras he could have got an earlier train and arrived in Paris before his polluting, flustered chum.

09.12 Arrive at Bristol Airport. I've decided to get here an hour and a half ahead of my Air France flight. The airport's website says: "Passengers are strongly advised to check in at the airport at least two hours before a scheduled flight". I've already checked in online, but I'm travelling with a bag that needs checking in. So, arriving 90 minutes before the flight seems about right. I look up at the departure board: my flight is "delayed until 1100".

09.20 I'm in the departure lounge. Like many regional airports, Bristol Airport has become a lot busier with low-cost flights in the last few years. But it's still a pleasure to use compared with a big London airport, and at this time on a weekday morning in November, it is verging on the empty. It has taken me just one minute to drop off my bag, and three minutes to get through security. But now I've got a frustrating hour and 40 minutes of not going anywhere at all.
And talking of delays:
11.10 A brusque apology from the flight deck for the delay - that old, catch-all chestnut of being "due to the late arrival of the aircraft".

11.30 Finally, we're in the air - 50 minutes late. I thought I was going to beat Jeremy with ease, but now I'm not so sure.

Oh, and the conclusion from the plane flying chum in that article:

This was a race, so I did whatever I needed to do to win. But a cab from Charles de Gaulle airport to the centre of Paris cost £68. So, had my journey been a normal one and there were no strikes, I would have got the RER train into Paris, which would have added around 45 minutes to my total travel time, and I would therefore have beaten Jeremy by just a few minutes. I travel fairly frequently to Paris, and have always presumed that, living so far from London, flying was the fastest way to get there. But, particularly with the speedier Eurostar service, this exercise shows it's very marginal. Next time, I'll cut the hassle, and my carbon footprint, and go by Eurostar instead.
So there you have it. No real time difference and a load of extra hassle when you fly. And a hugely bigger carbon footprint, not that I imagine you give a hoot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/e...8/Train-vs-Plane-Bath-to-Paris.html?pageNum=2

"More than 2.1 million people used the service in the first three months of the year"

Woo - that's about 2 weeks carriage for Ryanair.......
Not on the London to Paris route it isn't, :D . Or even in all the Ryanair flights from anywhere that go to Paris, I suspect.

I'm going on the Eurostar in the summer hopefully. I'm really excited about it, love seeing the country from ground level :)

St Pancras International lures 2m more passengers to Eurostar

St Pancras International lures 2m more passengers to Eurostar
Dan Milmo The Guardian, Tuesday April 15 2008

This article appeared in the Guardian on Tuesday April 15 2008 on p25 of the Financial section.

The opening of St Pancras International station and the high-speed link through southern England have helped Eurostar lure more than 2 million passengers to the cross-Channel train service this year.

Eurostar said 2.17 million customers travelled between London, Paris and Brussels in the first three months of the year - an increase of more than 21.3% on the same period in 2007.

Nick Mercer, Eurostar's commercial director, said the service was benefiting from shorter journey times thanks to the £5.8bn high-speed link and more customers from around Britain owing to the location of St Pancras, which is better connected to the UK network than the former base at Waterloo. "The passenger increase is coming from shorter journey times, better punctuality and improved connectivity, particularly from the UK regions. We have seen a near doubling of passengers from places such as York and the east Midlands."

Eurostar is embarking on a marketing campaign with Virgin Trains, East Midlands Trains and National Express East Coast this summer and will tour stations in cities including Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham to advertise deals such as £77 for a return trip from Sheffield to Paris.

Mercer said half the growth in passenger numbers came from new customers north of London, with the rest from ferry operators and airlines. Eurostar had not lost as many as expected from south-west England - it thought the move from Waterloo would drive some towards Heathrow and Gatwick. "You always expect when making a geographical move that you will lose a small proportion of customers, in our case from the south-west. That has not happened."

Ticket revenues for the privately owned firm rose 25.2% to £178.4m in the first quarter, helped by the early Easter, the leap year and the Six Nations rugby tournament.

Eurostar also said that punctuality had reached a record high, with 93.6% of services arriving on time

Eurostar is embarking on a marketing campaign with Virgin Trains, East Midlands Trains and National Express East Coast this summer and will tour stations in cities including Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham to advertise deals such as £77 for a return trip from Sheffield to Paris.
what a bargain.

*wants to go to Paris*

Bicycles Can Travel on the Eurostar Now

Who says that protesting doesn't work? Way back in November, Treehugger reported on the hardy band of determined cyclists who protested at the opening of the new Eurostar train to Paris. They were upset because there was no secure bicycle parking facility and passengers could not always take their bicycles on the same train as they were on. Bicycles had to be fully dismantled and packed in bags in order to travel on the same train as their owners. Often there were delays of 24 hours before the bicycle arrived at the destination.

In response, Eurostar agreed to change their policies and has introduced their 'Bikes on Board' booking scheme. Reservations for bikes cost £20 and riders will be able to drop their bicycles off at St Pancras Station despatch office one hour before their journey. In addition, parking has been provided for 100 bicycles nearby. So now cyclists can ride to the station, hop on the train, and get back on their bicycle at the Gare du Nord in Paris. C'est magnifique
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/bicycles-eurostar-permitted.php
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/bicycles.jsp

I've flown to Paris and taken the train... TBH, there's not much point flying as they both take around the same time (from Central London). However there's much less hassle with Eurostar with luggage, and you start using electical gadgets straight away... :D

biglaugh.gif
biglaugh.gif

Good news. Myself and a couple of mates wanted to cycle ** up to Amsterdam through Belgium, and were looking at the procedures for bikes on the eurostar and other international trains. Pretty straight forward once you'd made it to the continent, but on the English side ?? forget it :(

Looks like it might be worth revisiting the idea :D

** They ride the actual pushbikes, I'd be providing the logistical backup on proper two wheels :p (ie piss off to the next stopover town, get the B&B room sorted and set camp in the nearest coffeeshop)

Oh, and the conclusion from the plane flying chum in that article:

So there you have it. No real time difference and a load of extra hassle when you fly. And a hugely bigger carbon footprint, not that I imagine you give a hoot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/e...8/Train-vs-Plane-Bath-to-Paris.html?pageNum=2

Edinburgh/Glasgow - Paris by train - 8 hours

Edinburgh/Glasgow - Paris by Plane - 2 hours

Aberdeen - Paris by train - give up..........

No contest.

Sod the "carbon footprint", if I (a) thought that such a thing was relevant and (b) gave a toss, I could offset it for about a quid - big deal.

And if you live on Rockall, there aren't any trains at all! This just goes to show the public transport infrastructure in this country is blah blah tedious blah all my friends are dead blahhhh.

Went to Paris on the weekend on the Eurostar. I've always travelled to Paris this way but its been about 4 years since I last went. The new high speed link shaves 20 -30 minutes off a trip. Each way was about 2hrs 20 min

If you're within an hours travel to St Pancras I'd recommend it. Its much less hassle than Heathrow or any of the other London airports. We got to the station 30 mins before departure. 5 minutes through security and no massive long walk or connection to the departure gates. No stupid baggage restrictions either.

When we arrive we walked straight off the platform and we were at our hotel in central Paris 20 minutes later by metro. The Eurostar is such a pleasure in comparison to all the short haul flights I've taken over the last few years.

Its a shame more destinations aren't as accessible by high speed train.

I think the value for me is in arriving relaxed rather than getting stressed by the cattle herd structure, the security bullshit, the baggage hassles, the check in queue-security-lounge-plane-wait-fly-wait-customs-get-into-Paris rigmarole of flying.

It's mellow on the train.

I think the value for me is in arriving relaxed rather than getting stressed by the cattle herd structure, the security bullshit, the baggage hassles, the check in queue-security-lounge-plane-wait-fly-wait-customs-get-into-Paris rigmarole of flying.

It's mellow on the train.

Yep that's the real winner....airports are soul sapping places

Edinburgh/Glasgow - Paris by train - 8 hours

Edinburgh/Glasgow - Paris by Plane - 2 hours

Aberdeen - Paris by train - give up..........

No contest.

Sod the "carbon footprint", if I (a) thought that such a thing was relevant and (b) gave a toss, I could offset it for about a quid - big deal.
If you keep choosing further and further pairing cities the plane will eventually win, of course. But funny how you have to keep retreating over time as the train is proven to be far more comfortable, relaxing and better (and even faster or practically as fast) than the air option from London to Paris, then Bristol to Paris, etc etc. Not long ago you were still pretending London to Paris by air was faster, or actually a better experience. Now you have to think of worst-case scenarios with two train changes from cities many hundreds of miles away from Paris for the air option to even be slightly appealing.

Glad to see you're slowly coming to realise how much better and more intelligent train travel is for anything up to good few hundred miles. :D

Now you have to think of worst-case scenarios with two train changes from cities many hundreds of miles away from Paris for the air option to even be slightly appealing. :D

You don't have to travel from hundreds of miles away to have to face the msery of lugging baggage across the "integrated" public transport network.

2 stops from Paddington, followed by a trek through the Underground would affirm any soul of the efficay of gettng a taxi direct to the nearest airport rather than dragging their bags down the hell-hole inhabited by "London's finest" who tut-tut at the merest inconvenience between them and their destination, such inconveniences including anyone ludicrous enough to want to carry luggage through the commuter only "toobe".

Back
Top Bottom