Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

FFS: No football this Saturday, 10th Sept 2022 'as a mark of respect'. But it's still OK to go to work.

Now, normally I'd agree.

However I reckon two weeks off will do Liverpool the world of good.

So I'm a little bit conflicted.

But in all seriousness, its very telling that it'd just Football.

I have a plan. What's better than watching football? Why, playing football of course! I propose a mass football event. As I'm lazy, I would suggest Llandaf fields, Cardiff, just down the road from me. I'll bring my slightly-too-flat size 4 ball for the event, and my even flatter rugby ball for additional shenanigans. See you all there.

it's incredibly unfair, tbh.

yes, it's pathetic.

okay - i understand (though don't agree with them) that some people will be upset by her death. i get that some are royalists. but for ffs, sling a few arm bands on, have a two minute instead of one minute silence, etc. it is actually very authoritarian, and the irony is is that i don't think she would be saying to people like my dad "no you can't go an enjoy one of your last remaining pleasures" this saturday as you ahve to mope around or something for reasons or something.
Upon my death I expect all polo to be cancelled or at least as a sign of mourning for teams to flip a coin for who'll use the mallet in their right hands and who their left. The game will be much more entertaining

I have a plan. What's better than watching football? Why, playing football of course! I propose a mass football event. As I'm lazy, I would suggest Llandaf fields, Cardiff, just down the road from me. I'll bring my slightly-too-flat size 4 ball for the event, and my even flatter rugby ball for additional shenanigans. See you all there.
My sister did suggest that any kids spotted having a kickabout in the park this weekend will be arrested for treason.

I suspect that its a police staffing levels issue as much as anything, they are going to be stretched with other forms of crowd control. Transport congestion issues too probably.

I know these things wont apply evenly around the country, and there may be other factors too.

For those of us who can remember the first gulf War loads of songs were banned by the bbc because there was felt to be some chance they'd offend. From Blondie to Lulu: The songs the BBC banned during the Gulf War
We've long been treated like fools by these clowns and treated like we're made of fragile china
When the last monarch died football wasn’t cancelled .
Their real fear this time was that a league that is broadcasted all around the world might have had scenes where sections of the crowd did not fully respect any tributes to the monarchy.
It’s a simple distrust of working class supporters at football games .

Their real fear this time was that a league that is broadcasted all around the world might have had scenes where sections of the crowd did not fully respect any tributes to the monarchy.
Whereas with polo, you can trust the supporters and players to get it right. Not being proles and all.

There's a lot of London-based people on here, so I suggest we use those bits of grass around Westminster Abbey. A week on Monday suit everyone else?

Seen a lot of that online today. Lots of really nasty anti-Scouser hatred more than anything.

Eta: Divide and rule working as intended I suppose.

Looks to me like they cancelled traditionally working class sports because god forbid that any proles start gathering and might chant something unseemly, but other sports are OK to go ahead.

Unless I missed something basic here.

They didn't cancel anything. They left it up to the FA. The FA are clowns and made a hasty call, which now looks shit.

I suspect that its a police staffing levels issue as much as anything, they are going to be stretched with other forms of crowd control. Transport congestion issues too probably.

I know these things wont apply evenly around the country, and there may be other factors too.
Just been thinking about this but apart from having to deal with enormous crowds and the obvious security risks, an event like this will be gold dust to pick pockets and the like.

Where are all these people congesting transport systems?

Most events that were on this weekend have been cancelled, the buses when I went out today were fairly empty, other than people doing their usual grocery shopping (and I didn't see anyone giving a shit about the royal death).

I don't see how a bus or tube or train to a football match (which have been cancelled) would be more problematic than a bus or tube or train to a rugby match (which have not been cancelled).

Most events that were on this weekend have been cancelled, the buses when I went out today were fairly empty, other than people doing their usual grocery shopping (and I didn't see anyone giving a shit about the royal death).

I don't see how a bus or tube or train to a football match (which have been cancelled) would be more problematic than a bus or tube or train to a rugby match (which have not been cancelled).
Well the policing numbers theory was my main point, I just started tacking other stuff on too. What happens with particular football games next weekend may offer further clues about all of this, or prove me wrong. I certainly dont disagree with other peoples points about potential concerns about crowd chanting too.

Must say the horseracing looks really good, it is the last classic of the Uk
flat season, the St ledger the queen liked horse racing and was a closet
Millwall fan, the football gets going Tuesday with the champions league...

Well the policing numbers theory was my main point, I just started tacking other stuff on too. What happens with particular football games next weekend may offer further clues about all of this, or prove me wrong. I certainly dont disagree with other peoples points about potential concerns about crowd chanting too.

No, it is down to the FA and they have cancelled everything, there is no issue with policing for most football games - but they have cancelled the lot.

I since saw this today, I dont know if it will be an accurate prediction, and propaganda hype may be involved:

The Rail Delivery Group said services to, and stations in, the capital will be "extremely busy".

The rail operator is asking people to leave plenty of time for travel during the official mourning period.

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, are expected to travel to London to pay their respects to the Queen.

Explain why that is problematic in terms of football and boxing but not for rugby, cricket, or horse racing.
I dont have a nice set of data at my finger tips but there are press stories about the lengths rail transport services and transport police go to to cope with match days and specific matches.

And we saw just the other day that a premier league game was cancelled in advance because there was originally supposed to be a rail strike that day.

I repeat that Im not trying to claim these are the only factors, but I believe this stuff is part of the mix that goes into decisions. Policing and football is an issue we often hear about in terms of coordination and planning. And during the pandemic one of the justifications the government used for cancelling mass events was the strain this stuff placed on policing. I quite agree that there are examples of other mass events which have gone ahead, but Im not surprised that football was treated differently. Im not claiming this is fair, but I am claiming that it fits in with standard establishment thinking when it comes to football and how nervous authirities can get about aspects of football crowds in particular. When they are looking to give themselves some wiggle room, I'm not surprised they pick on football.

I dont have a nice set of data at my finger tips but there are press stories about the lengths rail transport services and transport police go to to cope with match days and specific matches.

And we saw just the other day that a premier league game was cancelled in advance because there was originally supposed to be a rail strike that day.

I repeat that Im not trying to claim these are the only factors, but I believe this stuff is part of the mix that goes into decisions. Policing and football is an issue we often hear about in terms of coordination and planning. And during the pandemic one of the justifications the government used for cancelling mass events was the strain this stuff placed on policing. I quite agree that there are examples of other mass events which have gone ahead, but Im not surprised that football was treated differently. Im not claiming this is fair, but I am claiming that it fits in with standard establishment thinking when it comes to football and how nervous authirities can get about aspects of football crowds in particular. When they are looking to give themselves some wiggle room, I'm not surprised they pick on football.

Right ok - let's take a step back from thinking about the big matches.

Why have non-league matches on playing fields which typically attract 3 spectators and a dog, no policing, no transport stress, been banned by the FA from going ahead?

I feel as though you have missed the point.

Right ok - let's take a step back from thinking about the big matches.

Why have non-league matches on playing fields which typically attract 3 spectators and a dog, no policing, no transport stress, been banned by the FA from going ahead?

I feel as though you have missed the point.
I havent focussed on that sort of point, but I didnt deny there were other reasons too that would cover that wider point, I just didnt dwell on those myself. I wasnt trying to tell the whole story, I had my angles, they werent supposed to diminish other peoples angles and complaints.

Perhaps I should just have waited till we got beyond the total suspension of football before I started to zoom in on the stuff that I did....

As the original 'mark of respect' justification falls away, we are now starting to see something of a restart, but media & authorities discussion about some of the decisions about certain big games is already starting to include language compatible with what I was going on about:

Some matches could be affected by a lack of resources such as policing, but issues will be reviewed on a game-by-game basis.

A spokesperson for the National Police Chiefs Council said: "UK Policing is working closely with other organisations to ensure events are held safely and with the appropriate security.

"Following the decisions of the Premier League and English Football League to cancel this weekend's matches, we will work with football clubs to try and ensure that, where possible, football fixtures can take place safely when balanced against the requirement to support national events and deliver day to day policing.

"This is a unique situation and we are working closely with everyone involved."
Uefa has moved Rangers' Champions League home game against Napoli from Tuesday to Wednesday, "due to the severe limitations on police resources and organisational issues related to the ongoing events surrounding the national mourning for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II".
Policing games could be a factor in the decision if forces are redeployed to London before the Queen's funeral.

Last edited:
Football shouldn't start until October anyway. The impingement on the cricket season is out of order. I'm glad it was cancelled. The cricket wasn't. That's because it's more important.

I think you can overthink it... the decision was left to the FA, they made a quick-ish call, based no doubt on 'respect'. this turned out to be wrong. as other sports showed. now the football is back on. just FA incomptence.

I think you can overthink it... the decision was left to the FA, they made a quick-ish call, based no doubt on 'respect'. this turned out to be wrong. as other sports showed. now the football is back on. just FA incomptence.

The "respect" excuse was taking the piss. If that's the case, all sporting events should have been off - especially polo, where 1/2 of the participants are the queen's cousins, 1/2 are riding the queen's horses, and all of them look like the queen's horses.

All subsequent discussion has been around policing of football stadia and resources being diverted to the public griefwank. If that was the reason, just fucking say it instead of fuelling the class war narrative.

Back
Top Bottom