Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

FFS: No football this Saturday, 10th Sept 2022 'as a mark of respect'. But it's still OK to go to work.

The main thing that bothers me about this is that at lower level leagues that's a bunch of revenue lost for the clubs. Bar staff not getting paid, no revenue for the associated burger places etc.

And that just fucking sucks. These businesses have had a really tough time recently and any glimour of hope has been snuffed out for the next two weeks possibly.
Re-arranged games will be mid-week - higher costs, lower crowds, lower revenue. My team will now have a 170 mile round trip on a Tuesday night.

thank

how is football not a Tory sport :hmm:

All the teams are owned by workers’s cooperatives and the players get the average wage for a skilled industrial worker. Plus the tickets are given away free by committees. And the terraces act as educational anti-racist workshops obvs.

All the teams are owned by workers’s cooperatives and the players get the average wage for a skilled industrial worker. Plus the tickets are given away free by committees. And the terraces act as educational anti-racist workshops obvs.
tbf cricket is a lot closer to that than footie. Most of the counties are member-owned clubs and most county players get not much more than the average wage of a skilled industrial worker. Average county cricket wage is the same as the average train driver wage.

The cricket's fucked too

345691.4.jpg

The cricket's fucked too

345691.4.jpg

Trust me, I am such a tight-arsed git I would NEVER not turn up to a gig I'd already paid for.

Except that. The thought of staring at that all day turns my stomach. Will they do funny little graphics of her shouting "FOUR!" and "SIX!"?

Apparently they could have gone ahead and it's the wet lettuces at the FA/EFL called it off, and now think they've jumped the gun when everyone else is carrying on. Away fans will have already spent a fair chunk on travel and accommodation and they get this at no notice.

Thought that the whole narrative arc of monarchy and patriotism was strength and courage but no we will all be far too upset and fragile to go to football. Better stay home and morn.

CUNTS

Nah. But just a gut feeling. All other sports going ahead as usual as they don't have a Monarch as their head.

Rugby on so my weekend is saved. The boy will get to play something after all and the egg chasing is on tv too

What a joke.
It's almost as if someone has decided that we all have to be miserable, especially those of us who don't give a fuck.
I'm pleased the footie has been cancelled as I was due to be working with a really arrogant Utd supporter on a late shift Sunday and could have been really miserable.
If you want sport, there is the last 2 days of the Vuelta Saturday and Sunday.

I've nicked this from the Lincoln City forum I post on (not exactly a hotbed of radicalism), I think it pretty much nails it:

After some reflection they’re right. So glad we’ve got the time back now.

Finish work

Mourn Friday night

Wake up Saturday, 7 30am

Mourn till lunch

Eat cold beans because gas is too expensive

No football :(

Mourn till 10pm

Have a big mournful sleep

Wake up Sunday, read the Sunday papers full of mourning because this is the first Sunday without the Queen

Mourn whilst thinking that this is the first Sunday without the Queen

Still no football :(

Mourn for the rest of Sunday

Wake up Monday. Stop mourning now pleb, you've got work to do

Store up mourning till off work again next weekend when there's even less football because of funeral

Why are you surprised. It's all bread and circuses. You don't get football for your entertainment. You get it for their peace of mind. Divide and conquer and all that.

Thought that the whole narrative arc of monarchy and patriotism was strength and courage but no we will all be far too upset and fragile to go to football. Better stay home and morn.

CUNTS
For those of us who can remember the first gulf War loads of songs were banned by the bbc because there was felt to be some chance they'd offend. From Blondie to Lulu: The songs the BBC banned during the Gulf War
We've long been treated like fools by these clowns and treated like we're made of fragile china

Polo clubs, meanwhile, are resuming play on Saturday, despite the fact that 95% of players are probably close relatives of the queen.

After consultation with the polo community and following government guidance, we can confirm that the playing of polo during the National Mourning period can proceed at the discretion of clubs from Saturday 10 September following the decision to suspend polo today, 9 September, out of respect. We are aware that there may be clubs who wish to cancel or postpone any fixtures as a mark of respect, whilst others may choose to proceed. The HPA supports decisions taken by individual clubs to play.

We kindly ask clubs that all matches played during this period are preceded by a 1-minute silence and players and umpires are encouraged to wear a black armband and conduct themselves appropriately in respect for Her Majesty the Queen.

it's incredibly unfair, tbh.
For those of us who can remember the first gulf War loads of songs were banned by the bbc because there was felt to be some chance they'd offend. From Blondie to Lulu: The songs the BBC banned during the Gulf War
We've long been treated like fools by these clowns and treated like we're made of fragile china

yes, it's pathetic.

okay - i understand (though don't agree with them) that some people will be upset by her death. i get that some are royalists. but for ffs, sling a few arm bands on, have a two minute instead of one minute silence, etc. it is actually very authoritarian, and the irony is is that i don't think she would be saying to people like my dad "no you can't go an enjoy one of your last remaining pleasures" this saturday as you ahve to mope around or something for reasons or something.

as said, all the silly narratives of bravery, soliders, war, being couragous etc, that is embedded in the patriotic/monarchist narrative arc is a bit mute if we are all too fragile go to teh football on saturday because of an old person's death. jesus fucking christ.

Back
Top Bottom