Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite North American team sport

What's your favourite North American major league team sport?

• American football

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Baseball

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Basketball

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ice hockey

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
Weird. Baseball has a World Series. :)
Actually I was going to comment on that :) which world is that?

American Football bemuses me. So much more complex than UK rugby and with way more personal protective padding and crash helmets. And I don't get it.

However there is one thing, American sports are family entertainment, you never hear of fan violence like you get or used to get at UK football. That distinction is I think interesting. Does anyone have a theory to explain this difference?

However there is one thing, American sports are family entertainment, you never hear of fan violence like you get or used to get at UK football. That distinction is I think interesting. Does anyone have a theory to explain this difference?

Franchises and how they work, giving territorial rights which cut out local rivals.A franchise may well move their team thousands of miles if it sees fit. It happens. Kinda cuts out the loyalty/tribalism fixed into 100 years of history of an English football league club.

Is that like the American football "world series", which only takes place in America and only American teams are allowed to play in it?

I guess so, no expert here, but Baseball is the obvious well-known one.

I’m a big basketball fan. They tend to have shit teams playing when they come here though.

Franchises and how they work, giving territorial rights which cut out local rivals.A franchise may well move their team thousands of miles if it sees fit. It happens. Kinda cuts out the loyalty/tribalism fixed into 100 years of history of an English football league club.
But US Football clubs still have a local support base, somehow they don't have the violence? That said I never understood the violence in the past in the UK footy game. It is just a game.

Actually scratch that, of course I understand UK football violence. When I was a youth and a biker there was always the potential of violence with mods, which sometimes did kick off. So silly, so pointless but it did exist.

American football is closely related to European football games, a variation really. As for baseball the earliest written reference to the game is this

It was not very wonderful that Catherine, who had nothing heroic about her, should prefer cricket, base-ball, riding on horseback, and running about the country at the age of fourteen, to books."

Which is an extract from Jane Austen's Northhanger Abbey.

Basketball was invented in the USA, but arguably the only true North American team sport is lacrosse which was played by the locals long before the European settlers turned up

Lacrosse is based on games played by various Native American communities as early as 1100 AD.[1] By the seventeenth century, a version of lacrosse was well-established and was documented by Jesuit missionarypriests in the territory of present-day Canada.[2]

In the traditional aboriginal Canadianversion, each team consisted of about 100 to 1,000 men on a field several miles (several kilometers) long.[3] These games lasted from sunup to sundown for two to three days straight and were played as part of ceremonial ritual, a kind of symbolic warfare, or to give thanks to the Creator or Master.

Lacrosse - Wikipedia

I love Baseball..(helps that I’m a cricket fan too I suppose).

Have had family in NYC since I was a kid and was taken to Yankee Stadium to see Yanks v Royals aged 13 (Don Mattingly, Rickie Henderson era). From there on out I’ve gone to see them whenever I’m in NY - fairly often. Also watched Baseball at Shea Stadium and Fenway Park - the latter beautiful and steeped in history.

Yes, I know the Yankees are the big bad corporate whores akin to Man U or Real Madrid but my colours were nailed to the mast early on...

I missed both games at the weekend (17-13 and 12-8!) due mostly to being priced out. Poor planning on my part meant that the only tickets left on sale when I realised were £180; £240 and £320!!!!

I follow the NFL and watch games when I have the time.

Don’t like Basketball or Ice Hockey..

I love Baseball..(helps that I’m a cricket fan too I suppose).

One of the American commentators on the stream I watched remarked that he'd watched about half an hour of cricket whilst here, and confessed that he still didn't have a clue what was going on. They also expressed surprise that games can last two days, neglecting to mention the full tests.

True.

In other news, Liverpool and Spurs contested the Champions League final this year.

Loathe as I am to defend that title, it does not imply that the club's involved have to be national title winners to be in the competition. Simply that the winner is the European champion.

World series baseball certainly implies what it says on the tin.

Loathe as I am to defend that title, it does not imply that the club's involved have to be national title winners to be in the competition. Simply that the winner is the European champion.

World series baseball certainly implies what it says on the tin.

I think you would have a point, if "Champions" had a possessive apostrophe before the s.

I'm guessing that the name World Series stemmed from a largely pre-globalisation era. It also features the champions of the American League against those of the National League, so those two adjectives are ruled out too.

The Toronto Blue Jays are in the American League.

I love all of them but particularly love hockey, NFL and baseball. I wish we got more on terrestrial TV. The NFL is reasonably well covered with the excellent BBC shows but the others aren't on tTV at all. It was fantastic to watch the London Series last Saturday on full HD iplayer but that's the only ball game I've seen in ages.

I think the World Series thing is from when it was sponsored by a newspaper called 'The World'. Could be wrong but cba to google it.

Canada won the basketball, but really don't care for the sport.

It may have been invented by a Canadian, but still not iinterested.

I love all of them but particularly love hockey, NFL and baseball. I wish we got more on terrestrial TV. The NFL is reasonably well covered with the excellent BBC shows but the others aren't on tTV at all. It was fantastic to watch the London Series last Saturday on full HD iplayer but that's the only ball game I've seen in ages.

Channel 5 used to show a lot, late at night. I remember watching the opening innings of plenty of MLB games during my student days. I think sport as a whole got dumped by them when Dirty Des took over, in favour of Big Brother, etc. However, the fact that they've got the Rugby Premiership and have recently had the Football League highlights suggests that they could look to America again.

Alternatively, ITV4 or Quest are other potential Freeview buyers.

Back
Top Bottom