Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Family TV viewing

Though I grew up in Germany, we used to watch The Onedin Line together, due to my dad's love of all things ships and sailing. Upstair Downstair (which was called The House on Eaton Place in Germany) also was popular family watching. By the late 70s we got into Dallas, like the rest of the world.

I don't think we had a telly until 1982ish, and then it was a tiny (10" I reckon) B&W. We started renting a colour set in 1987, and that Christmas I got given a smaller (rented) set for my bedroom WITH REMOTE CONTROL 👍 From then on our viewing rather predictably diverged.

But between those milestones I'd say the main family viewing would be standard BBC1 evening stuff - Six O'Clock News, regional news (e.g. London Plus), things like Tomorrow's World, and Top Of The Pops. Oh, and EastEnders from the start - no other soaps. We didn't tend to watch game shows (except Bullseye of a weekend, MasterTeam, A Question Of Sport and Telly Addicts). Pretty much the only ITV stuff during the week would be The Bill and Minder.

At weekends we'd switch to ITV and watch Saint & Greavsie, wrestling on World Of Sport, and the classified football results (for the pools). Would watch the American action telly du jour (The A Team, Knight Rider) sometimes. On Sundays we'd watch cosy evening stuff like Miss Marple or Bergerac.

With my Dad I would sometimes get to stay up 'late' to watch a movie - I remember doing that with a Robert Redford season (Butch & Sundance, The Sting, Waldo Pepper) and the Omen trilogy; with my Mum it would be things like Arena or Panorama.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom