Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Family TV viewing

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
What tv shows did you watch with your family and all enjoy together, or with individual members?

Me and Old Pa Dwards used to watch Vic Reeves Big Night out together and howl with laughter.

I also used to watch Blackadder with my grandad and loved it. Especially Blackadder 2

Dr who with my folks, and a brief memory of Secret Army? (I was well young then)

These days as a dad, Stranger things all the way with the whole family. With The boy all the new Star wars stuff

Oh, and Allo Allo. I was too young to get the euphanisms and double entendre (so French).

Oddly enough I caught a couple of episodes last night of Bullseye with Jim Bowen. Fuck me, the prizes, set and delivery was awful.

I fucking loved it. Might look for some now.

Oddly enough I caught a couple of episodes last night of Bullseye with Jim Bowen. Fuck me, the prizes, set and delivery was awful.

I fucking loved it. Might look for some now.
As Peter Kay pointed it, it was really shit and really good at the same time

I used to love Frank Carson’s accent and Dave Quinnan and Tony Stamp from the Bill when they did various short skits on Noel’s House Party

I was still at primary school in it’s heyday so hadn’t developed that discerning a taste.

Auf Weidersehn, Pet was essential Friday night family viewing in our house.
Still one if my favourites

My parents were actually shocked that I'd watched that (my dad had an extensive library of drama and comedy copied to VHS) after I drew a perfectly respectable cartoon-style piece of a stately home for school I called Thornley Manor without remembering where the name came from :D

Oddly enough there's very few bits of telly I remember watching with all of the family units. Classic 70s sitcoms like Fawlty Towers and Reggie Perrin mentioned above were one of them, but the vast majority of stuff I remember watching was documentaries, and the one the entire family was riveted by was one called Indelible Evidence, a really rather excellent docu-drama on murders that were solved through forensic science. Literally none of this light entertainment stuff was ever on show at home. The only time I ever saw a gameshow was either Catchphrase at one set of grandparents or Countdown at the others.

One thing I do remember is being banned from watching the A-Team when I was a kid because Boy George appeared in one episode and my dad was convinced it would turn me gay (that wasn't the term he used, and I didn't even understand what it meant until over a decade later), and then I was also banned from Horizon and anything Attenborough because of all their doom-mongering nonsense blather about so-called "climate change" (I think that was a fad of the 80s, don't think we've had anyone else go on about it since so just goes to show my dad's wisdom).

I think it was only when my dad was out that we got to watch Proper Telly. I have fond memories of watching the not-even-remotely-age-appropriate Edge of Darkness and Traffik covertly with my mum.

I wasn’t allowed the A team because of the guns (or guns as toys for a bit) that was around the time my mum was scared of the bomb and wanted to move to a croft in Scotland I think

And Bullet Baxter. The epitomy of at least one teacher in your school. Your parents thought it was an overblown character. But it wasn't.

They just didn't get it.

That's what made Grange Hill brilliant.

"Generation Game", "It Ain't Half Hot Mum", "Last of the Summer Wine" and my two favourites "Open All Hours" and "I Didn't Know You Cared" which were a bit like watching documentaries about my family!!

Back
Top Bottom