Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fallout 4

Weren't 1 and 2 more like strategy games?

Nah, proper RPG's but the combat was turn based and it was third person/isometric so a bit more involved. Still very much about roaming the wastes doing stuff rather than spending hours planning fights though.

Isn't it a brotherhood of steel suit that's in the workshop right at the end of the trailer? That'd surely mean more Brotherhood which would be excellent.

Enclave armour I think. Although you can get power armour without it being either. Enclave certainly feature elsewhere in the trailer though.

Not really, the combat was turn based, with action points and that... but they were (great) rpgs... fallout tactics, well, yes...

I actually thought Tactics was quite good, bit limited but if they'd followed it up could have been a real time X-Com sort of deal. There was that abomination on PS1 though, best forgotten.

http://kotaku.com/all-the-juicy-details-hidden-in-the-fallout-4-trailer-1708720494

Good breakdown of the trailer.

The bit about the voiced protag... I really am ambivalent about a voiced protag. I don't think it is the death knell of an rpg franchise. That said, if our vault dweller is a single, fixed character, with no customisation options, that will disappoint me.

I'm more cynical, I think it would massively harm the game but then given the success of previous Fallouts and Skyrim they'd be mad to abandon customisation. Hopefully the voice is just another thing you can customise.

I meant voiced protags in general don't bother me, when there is customisation. Like in Mass Effect for example. But a fixed character like Nathan Drake holds little interest for me, especially when transposed onto a game like this.

Looks worryingly like the same old engine. Slippy-slidey feet on the dog, heightfield terrain with billboard grass, no visible building interiors in the town shots. I've got £20 here says you get a loading screen when you go indoors.

Is it not going to be available on Steam? The pre-order thing suggests not. Steam is convenient despite its faults.

My other gripe is Fallout is never truly open world like The Elder Scrolls is. I realise it's more story driven but open world is preferable over linear that pretends to be open world.

Is it not going to be available on Steam? The pre-order thing suggests not. Steam is convenient despite its faults.

My other gripe is Fallout is never truly open world like The Elder Scrolls is. I realise it's more story driven but open world is preferable over linear that pretends to be open world.

Skyrim has loading screens indoors/outdoors and into large cities.

edit: unless that's not what you meant (probably influenced by crispy's reply above).

You mean more like no quest to follow, go where you want, do what you want?

I've not played much of it compared to FNV, but my understanding is F3 has more exploration than FNV, and FNV has better writing. Considering this is a return to Beth and not Obsidian, we'd expect more of F3-esque stuff, perhaps?

Skyrim has loading screens indoors/outdoors and into large cities.

edit: unless that's not what you meant (probably influenced by crispy's reply above).

You mean more like no quest to follow, go where you want, do what you want?

I can't remember 3 so much but New Vegas had definite rails whilst pretending to be open world. Like if you walked the wrong direction you'd meet mobs with vastly superior levels. Keep on the tracks. I just wish it was more like Skyrim where the world is open and it evolves to your story.

Looks worryingly like the same old engine. Slippy-slidey feet on the dog, heightfield terrain with billboard grass, no visible building interiors in the town shots. I've got £20 here says you get a loading screen when you go indoors.

I'm not bothered by this. I don't expect all my games to look like the same shiny thing. It's not going to be the same F3/FNV engine. It'll be a slightly reworked Skyrim engine. All studios have their blind spots. One of Beth's is character animations. It'd be lovely if it looked as smooth as something like, say, AssCreed, but I can't say I especially care. Modders will do some good work, anyway. Modding is half the reason Beth games retain their playability and legacy for so long after release.

I can't remember 3 so much but New Vegas had definite rails whilst pretending to be open world. Like if you walked the wrong direction you'd meet mobs with vastly superior levels. Keep on the tracks. I just wish it was more like Skyrim where the world is open and it evolves to your story.

Yep, hence my deathclaw story earlier (I really don't know how the fuck they saw me from the other fucking side of the quarry, but I digress).

I admit, I don't mind linearity at all if the story needs it. But narrative has never been Fallout's strong point, so I'd rather they put it all into more freedom, as you say like Skyrim. No one plays Skyrim for the fucking story :D

Yep, hence my deathclaw story earlier (I really don't know how the fuck they saw me from the other fucking side of the quarry, but I digress).

I admit, I don't mind linearity at all if the story needs it. But narrative has never been Fallout's strong point, so I'd rather they put it all into more freedom, as you say like Skyrim. No one plays Skyrim for the fucking story :D

People play Skyrim and the 'story' is one of many options. I never finished the central quest in Skrim and I didn't with Oblivion either. Yet I had hundreds of hours of fun with the other quests. I want Fallout to be like that.

Any Fallout 1&2 fans? Who remembers Dogmeat..?
Huge Fallout 1&2 fan.Played 3 twice through. Funnily enough I've got New Vegas on Steam but I haven't played it yet. I'm in the pub at the moment but I'm thinking I'll be blasting radroaches in the desert when I get home! Can't wait for 4!

People play Skyrim and the 'story' is one of many options. I never finished the central quest in Skrim and I didn't with Oblivion either. Yet I had hundreds of hours of fun with the other quests. I want Fallout to be like that.
That's exactly what fallout 3 is like. There's no reason to think this will be any different.

shit, that trailer looks awesome.
i need to rent/buy a telly and buy an x-box one.
it's been a while since i gamed.
not sure if it's compatible with my job, though.
when i last played games, i had a job where you could get away with being a stumbling wreck all day cos you'd been up all night shooting ghouls to bits.

No it just politely kills you if you decide to head to new vegas via the short cut, and makes you track down the Khans and Benny. But everyone warns you that Cadozors and Deathclaws are down that path. Never bothered me, it lets you explore Nipton, and the surrounding area, and level up so by the time you reach vegas you've got some companions, cash, and skills to handle the place.

As to the body armour it could be enclave, theres alot of verabirds in the trailer.

I dont think so. After you leave goodsprings they advise you to head south to nipton. You can go north but one road is riddled with cadzors who will kill you dead at low levels, and the other has a death claw infestation and you really need boone and a couple of 50cals and be level 20 to tAke them on

The ghouls in the trailer look fucking terrifying fast moving and lethal and that deathclaw looks nasty.

I dont think so. After you leave goodsprings they advise you to head south to nipton. You can go north but one road is riddled with cadzors who will kill you dead at low levels, and the other has a death claw infestation and you really need boone and a couple of 50cals and be level 20 to tAke them on

I was talking about Fallout 3 there.

Sorry didn't see that. Where did you get stuck in Fallout 3,

Have to admit I much preferred NV to Fallout 3. Maybe it's because I played NV before 3. I hated the slaver gun, and some of the puzzles were really obtuse.

Sorry didn't see that. Where did you get stuck in Fallout 3,

Have to admit I much preferred NV to Fallout 3. Maybe it's because I played NV before 3. I hated the slaver gun, and some of the puzzles were really obtuse.

There seemed to be part of the North (iirc) of the map completely inaccessible beyond the subway. I tried other ways round that just led to cul de sacs. There was obviously something I hadn't done but I couldn't figure out what so eventually stopped playing.

There seemed to be part of the North (iirc) of the map completely inaccessible beyond the subway. I tried other ways round that just led to cul de sacs. There was obviously something I hadn't done but I couldn't figure out what so eventually stopped playing.
That's where walkthroughs come in handy

No it just politely kills you if you decide to head to new vegas via the short cut, and makes you track down the Khans and Benny. But everyone warns you that Cadozors and Deathclaws are down that path. Never bothered me, it lets you explore Nipton, and the surrounding area, and level up so by the time you reach vegas you've got some companions, cash, and skills to handle the place.

Exactly... going via Nipton was essential for the whole Ceaser's legion vs NCR vs independant Vegas underpinning of the game... The game opens up much more once you get to Vegas.

Back
Top Bottom