Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fallout 4

Cid you do, but I think so long as you realise that you're not going to be able to rescue all of 'em, then it's ok. You have 12 hours to get to it, I think.

8den I think the ammo carry weight is a good thing. Ammo is sort of like an alternative currency anyways, so it only really punishes you if you want to carry a range of weapons and ammo, or want to go missle/mininuke crazy. But if you've got a low-to-medium strength character why should you be allowed to do that in the first place. I dunno, the ammo weighing thing I really liked in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as it forced you to be frugal in your weapon choices (i.e. one main weapon, and one side arm, and stacks of ammo for both), so mebbe that's colouring my experience of it.

The save thing, yes, that's pretty annoying I lost a good 45 mins last night by clearing out the superdupermart and roaming ghouls outside, and then wandering off south and then trying to find a bed/sleeping bag. Which of course resulted in stumbling into a raider pack and dying. Annoying as I got two legendary drops in the SDM.

Yup. Not played it. Still bogged down in survival mode. I die a lot, I mean a lot. So I'm only about level 12. Might load up my old character to play it.

I dipped into Far Harbour at the weekend. It's good, in a radioactive fog, with angry mutated fish and fog ghouls sort of way. I've only really been to the first town and down the missions there though.

Just started playing this week and loving it. Will read the thread when I have progressed a bit. I don't want any spoilers :)

just started playing this. Got to diamond city having picked up a fancy laser rifle off those sanctimonious bores The Brotherhood of Steel. Very much enjoying it so far - i enjoyed fallout 3 as well. Haven't got into the workbenches and settlers thing yet - kind of following the main quest whilst following the main story.
One problem im having is power cores for power armour. I've used up the two I looted but now I've had to buy one from a trader for several hundred caps. ouch.
Do you get your own pad like in fallout 3 - so you can stash your stuff and sleep?
Any newbie tips welcome!

yup. You can also build your own settlement (you don't have a settlement at sanctuary?) That's your base really.

Tips? Preston Garvey is annoying.

As you progress power cores become a lot more common ( You gotta earn 'em in the early stages) Save a few for when you get a gatling laser!!

If you don't like Sanctuary then do a few of Prestons annoying missions to find some other locations to build your base ( For storing stuff, sleep etc).

I spent most of my time base building and still haven't completed the main mission.

I'm jealous of your ignorance of what is to come :)

I haven't finished the main mission either. I didn't even get as far as officially picking a faction. Haven't met the railroad yet (although I know they've met me because I'm a sucker for avoiding spoilers). I get a bit twitchy about doing too much of the main story because I tend to lose interest in a playthrough once I've done that, and you never know how long it's going to be the first time around and I get worried I'll accidentally complete it lol.

finished the main stuff, went to go and do the DLC the other day and found id lost interest in it :(

I have to get all the side quests and dlc and so on out of the way before I make a final push on the main story in these games. Otherwise I lose interest as well. I need the overarching thrust of the main story to give me a reason to be in the world in the first place, even if I'm not focusing on it. It's the same with Skyrim. I've only completed its main story once in my 2000 hours of play, and the time I did I had zero impetus to carry on doing anything else afterwards, so started a new character.

FYI and very quitely Bethesda finally introduced fallout 4 mods on the ps4

Any recommendations?

I may start the game again

I hadn't got many mods installed at all when I was last playing. I don't know what they have on the PS4. The most handy ones would be ones that mod carry weight (in older Fallouts there have been ones that add backpacks that give you more carry weight, so it at least feels less cheaty - being on PC I just cheat my carry weight because I really don't fucking care), and any other utility ones that just make quality of life better. Like, in Skyrim my absolute number one mod is Wearable Lanterns - I'm apoplectic if I can't use it. We don't need that for Fallout because you have a torch on your pipboy I think (it's been a while), but that sort of thing - utility.

So far I've added the walking dead, greener environments, improved weather. I can't add the modify old clothes (frankly I want either the nukaworld spacesuit or my vault tec suit with ballistic weave) for some reason. I'm looking for something for pipboy management, carry weight is a good idea, but I feel I want to avoid most of the cheats (mind you I've still wearing a really ratty raider legendary arm for it's amazing luck bonus and fancy something a snazzier).

Is there a GB limit to what you can download on PS4 like there is for Skyrim? It's 1GB for Skyrim (5GB for XBone). With that in mind, mods that make gameplay changes will take up less space because unless they're adding new items they're going to be nothing but bytes containing changed creation kit records. Graphical mods will take up your space quite quickly, as all these changed textures add up in size. And of course mods that add new items - if it adds a lot or if they have fancy textures you're going to be eating into that allowance fast.

One mod I know is being worked on for FO4 is ELFX (Enhanced Lights and FX). I use the Skyrim version and it's one of the best lighting mods you'll find. I only use it for interior lighting but he also makes an exterior module. He says that the FO4 lighting system is a lot better than the new Skyrim version, and as such it's going to look really good. I'd make that an absolute priority once it's out. (Keep an eye out for it. The author's name is anamorfus - here is Skyrim's version: Enhanced Lights and FX at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community .)

So I quite fancy having another play of this. Played it through once so looking at the expansion packs. Has anyone played both and can recommend which is best.

Do you start with your old saved game or do you create a new character?

Is there a GB limit to what you can download on PS4 like there is for Skyrim? It's 1GB for Skyrim (5GB for XBone). With that in mind, mods that make gameplay changes will take up less space because unless they're adding new items they're going to be nothing but bytes containing changed creation kit records. Graphical mods will take up your space quite quickly, as all these changed textures add up in size. And of course mods that add new items - if it adds a lot or if they have fancy textures you're going to be eating into that allowance fast.

One mod I know is being worked on for FO4 is ELFX (Enhanced Lights and FX). I use the Skyrim version and it's one of the best lighting mods you'll find. I only use it for interior lighting but he also makes an exterior module. He says that the FO4 lighting system is a lot better than the new Skyrim version, and as such it's going to look really good. I'd make that an absolute priority once it's out. (Keep an eye out for it. The author's name is anamorfus - here is Skyrim's version: Enhanced Lights and FX at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community .)

Mods are limited to 2gigs in total, and due to engine restraints you can only include pre-existing fallout assets (so no thomas the tank engines or terminators etc).

So I quite fancy having another play of this. Played it through once so looking at the expansion packs. Has anyone played both and can recommend which is best.

Do you start with your old saved game or do you create a new character?

Most of the expansion packs have a suggested level limit (Nuka World is 35 I think) I dug up an old save that had me at level 50, and I'd have struggled to finish Nukaworld without my X0-1 power armour and "lucky" (laser minigun with double critical hit bonus, and critical hit meter filling twice as fast) there were a couple of really savage encounters.

So if you want to dive right into the expansions Id use a preloaded character, or start afresh, thats what I'm thinking of doing. )

Mods are limited to 2gigs in total, and due to engine restraints you can only include pre-existing fallout assets (so no thomas the tank engines or terminators etc).

That's not engine restraints - that's licencing restraints. The engine can handle new assets just fine. The lawyers are less able to :D

been playing this a week or so and i have to say - its brilliant. So much in there, and some of the missions are really exciting. Haven't got into the whole settlement building aspect yet, but i have worked out how to mod my power armour. Only i dont like using it cos you use up your (very expensive) power cores too quickly - can this be improved at a workbench?
Anyway - got myself a tasty sniper rifle at last, but ammo is in short supply.
Overall its a significantly better than fallout 3 - and that was pretty dammed good.

Most of the expansion packs have a suggested level limit (Nuka World is 35 I think) I dug up an old save that had me at level 50, and I'd have struggled to finish Nukaworld without my X0-1 power armour and "lucky" (laser minigun with double critical hit bonus, and critical hit meter filling twice as fast) there were a couple of really savage encounters.

So if you want to dive right into the expansions Id use a preloaded character, or start afresh, thats what I'm thinking of doing. )

Much as I'd like to start a new game, this winter doesn't look like it would have as much game time as last.

My character was pretty nails. Completed the game without power armour except the point you wonder round in the radioactive shit. My shotgun and added perks shreds everything.

Which is the better of the two expansion packs?

Much as I'd like to start a new game, this winter doesn't look like it would have as much game time as last.

My character was pretty nails. Completed the game without power armour except the point you wonder round in the radioactive shit. My shotgun and added perks shreds everything.

Which is the better of the two expansion packs?

Storyline wise Far Habour is the better one, NukaWorld's Story is wafer thin, the only advantage to NukaWorld is you can play as a raider, seize settlements, and build raider camps, and them hit the rest of commonwealth, so if you're a black hat, or have a particular axe to grind against Preston go for NukaWorld.

But again my level 50 character was pretty fucking tough, and I ended up having to clear chunks of Nukaworld in Power armour. There are really vicious laser turrents, and a pack of gator/deathclaw half breeds. I even had to break out the nuka nuke launcher (new type of ammo for nuka launcher)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom