Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2024

FIA's first CEO Robyn to leave after 18 months​

Natalie Robyn is leaving Formula One's governing body after serving just 18 months as its first chief executive, the FIA said on Wednesday. Robyn was one of the most senior female executives in motorsport and her arrival from the auto industry was hailed by the FIA as a "transformative moment" for an organisation led by Emirati Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

Ben Sulayem had also highlighted Robyn's appointment as proof of his commitment to equality and diversity after a controversy over remarks he had once made about women "who think they are smarter than men". The governing body said Robyn had decided to pursue opportunities elsewhere and was leaving by mutual agreement at the end of May. "Performing in the role of CEO at the FIA has been an enormous privilege and I am grateful to have directed a programme of restructuring and reform," she was quoted as saying. "Now is the time to step away in the knowledge that the organisation is better placed for the challenges which lie ahead."

Robyn is the fourth senior employee to depart the FIA since December. Sporting director Steve Nielsen, single-seater technical director Tim Goss and women's commission head Deborah Mayer have all left. The FIA is facing legal action brought by Susie Wolff, the director of the all-female F1 Academy support series and wife of Mercedes team boss Toto, after a conflict of interest enquiry last year. The relationship between Liberty Media-owned Formula One and the FIA deteriorated last year, with the two sides at loggerheads over a number of issues including possible expansion to 11 teams. REUTERS

F1 posts $892 million Q1 revenue​

The result marks a 45 percent jump from the same period a year ago, with $840 million of that coming from F1 specifically. That translated into an operating income of $206.7 million, a 289 percent increase on the previous year. “We are seeing continued momentum both in financial performance and amplification of our fanbase, including through expanding our methods of fan engagement,” said Stefano Domenicali, president and CEO of Formula 1. “We have already announced our 24-race calendar for 2025, a landmark year that will mark the 75th anniversary of the FIA Formula One World Championship. We recently published our first ever Impact Report and are proud to highlight that we are on track to reach our net zero target by 2030 and continue to prioritize our diversity and inclusion efforts with programs like the F1 Academy Discover Your Drive, STEM Challenge Days and more.”

Formula 1 primarily achieves its income from three streams, namely race promotion, media rights, and sponsorship. With three races in the opening quarter this year versus two in 2023, those figures naturally increased proportionally, as did payments to teams. Payments to teams were $247.8 million in the quarter, versus $170.2 million the year prior, with other costs also up from $142.9 million to $186.9 million. The Q1 earnings report noted that “Primary F1 revenue increased in the first quarter with growth across race promotion, media rights, and sponsorship partly driven by one more race held in the current period, which resulted in a greater proportion of season-based revenue recognized. Race promotion revenue also increased due to fees from the additional race held in the period and contractual increases in fees. Media rights revenue also benefited from contractual increases in fees, higher fees from new and renewed contractual agreements and continued growth in F1 TV subscription revenue. Sponsorship revenue also increased due to recognition of revenue from new sponsors and growth in revenue from existing contracts.”

On top of its income through primary sources, Formula 1 Group also realised $136.8 million in other revenue, contributing to the $840 million in revenues posted by F1. During the opening quarter, Formula 1 Group completed the acquisition of Quint, a corporate hospitality organisation active at some F1 events but with interests in other sports. Revenue generated following its acquisition was accounted for in the $136.8 million of ‘other' revenue under Formula 1.

Formula 1 (FWONK) stocks closed on Tuesday at $109.53 but rose to $115.69 on Wednesday's opening following Liberty Media's earnings announcement, marking a six percent increase.

Does the money distributed to teams - you know, the essential product providers in F1 - increase commensurately with Liberty's downpour of dollar bills?

I mean, given the extra race venues and the extra race-weekend sessions?

Or has Domenicali..?

You know what? I'll just leave it there.

Does the money distributed to teams - you know, the essential product providers in F1 - increase commensurately with Liberty's downpour of dollar bills?

I mean, given the extra race venues and the extra race-weekend sessions?

Or has Domenicali..?

You know what? I'll just leave it there.
Team prize pot is 50% of F1’s commercial rights profit.

Ford rubbishes claims over new Red Bull F1 power unit​

Ford has refuted claims the Formula 1 power unit it is working on with Red Bull is behind in development, although it admits it has "no idea" where rival suppliers are. The Blue Oval is re-entering F1 in 2026 as technical partner to Red Bull Powertrains, the in-house power unit division set up by Red Bull, with the new power units set to feature beefed-up electrical systems as well as rely on synthetic fuels. Red Bull boss Christian Horner has claimed RBPT is 70 years behind Ferrari when it comes to making an engine, but did say it had signed 220 people from rivals Mercedes High Performance Powertrains in the latest spat with Toto Wolff.

Wolff is trying to use uncertainty about the performance levels of the RBPT power unit to lure Max Verstappen to Mercedes, but Ford global director of motorsport Mark Rushbrook insists all targets are being met. "As with any program, you set certain goals and milestones," Rushbrook told the Dutch edition of Motorsport.com. "At the moment we are achieving all our own goals and achieving the desired milestones, I can only say that we have set our own goals for the power unit based on experience and what we think is necessary to be successful in 2026. We have no idea where the competition stands and what their development curve is, we simply do not have a direct comparison with our opponents, but if we look at what we think we need have to be successful, then we are in good shape."

The new power units
As part of the development of the new power units, the increased electrical output is a key area for teams to invest time and research, with Rushbrook explaining how Ford is prioritising this area as RBPT has more focus on the internal combustion engine and turbo. "The internal combustion engine and the turbo were not on the initial list of things we would contribute to, but in terms of models and testing, we have knowledge that can help with that," Rushbrook added. "So that is now also being done, although our main focus is still always on the electrical components. There is direct technical support for all these elements from people from Ford on the campus in Milton Keynes. We do contribute in many areas."

Technically, this weekend's race, fresh from the nib of a lizard-brained PR critter, labours under the monicker :

Formula 1 MSC Cruises Gran Premio del Made In Italy E Dell'Emilia-Romagna 2024.

But... we... [Murray Walker Voice] call... it... Imola! And... the... track... is... [more Murray] the... Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari.

Being a proper track, the drivers have to complete the race without stopping for a Starbucks or to play the fruit machines.

And being in Europe, the telly times are civilised for Euro viewers: The UK schedule is:

Fri 17 May
FP1 - 12:30
FP2 - 16:00

Sat 18 May
FP3 - 11:30
Qual - 15:00

Sun 19 May
Race - 14:00

I think we can all join in this week's full-throated battle-cry: Forza, Nozza!

:)

Adrian Newey has a manager now, it is none other than Eddie Jordan. I wonder how long their relationship has been thus? Was Jordan touting Newey about month's ago?

Crofty isn't around this weekend, some bloke called Harry Benjamin is taking his place, is he any good? Looks like Martin Brundle will also be absent.

Last edited:
hmm he supposly does the f2 coverage so cannie say I've heard much of him
On air, he's just said he was born in 1997. Jeepers, I have a daughter older than him.

Unless Sky are leaning on the Harry Benjamin who was an American-German endocrinologist born in 1885. I'm just going to venture that it's unlikely, given he died in 1986. But think: in these days of inclusion, why should the dead be discriminated against?

:)

Aussie Piastri tops practice​

Australia’s Oscar Piastri has topped the third practice session at Imola, pipping teammate Lando Norris by 0.300s and sending a huge warning to the field ahead of qualifying on Sunday morning. After Norris claimed his maiden win in Miami last time out – with a significantly-upgraded McLaren – Piastri made the most of his own car getting the upgrade package by topping the final practice session of the weekend, having been second on the opening day behind Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc. Piastri after Friday had been bullish about his chances, saying: “I think honestly it’s been an encouraging day for us. The pace has been good, both in the qualifying runs and the race run, so I’m feeling pretty happy. I felt pretty comfy with the car from the moment we got on track so yeah, [we’ll] try and find a bit more overnight and see what we can do tomorrow.” He added: “Hard to know; it is very tight out there. Red Bull have looked a bit up and down, which is a bit unusual for them. Ferrari have looked quick, Mercedes looked quick as well at points, but I think we are definitely in the fight. We’ll try to find a bit more tomorrow, but where we were today is not unrealistic.”

In FP3, Leclerc was fourth behind teammate Carlos Sainz, with Mercedes’ George Russel fifth and Max Verstappen of Red Bull again struggling as he finished sixth. But it was a truly chaotic session with Fernando Alonso and Sergio Perez both crashing and bringing out red flags. After the second incident, there was just a handful of minutes left in the session, with every driver going out on track in a desperate bid to squeeze in a final flying lap – leading to scary scenes as drivers tried to find space or clean air on track.

Daniel Ricciardo, who ended up 11th, was lucky to avoid being hit by the Haas of Nico Hulkenberg, after the Aussie slowed to a near-halt in the centre of the track. Piastri also had a near-miss in the traffic jam. Track position is hugely important at Imola, where overtaking is difficult – so much so that Leclerc said Friday: “Track position here is absolutely everything, so qualifying will be super important and it will be important for us to do the job in qualifying.”

Grid with penalties

1 Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
2 Lando Norris (McLaren)
3 Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
4 Carlos Sainz (Ferrari)
5 Oscar Piastri (McLaren)
6 George Russell (Mercedes)
7 Yuki Tsunoda (RB)
8 Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
9 Daniel Ricciardo (RB)
10 Nico Hulkenberg (Haas)
11 Sergio Perez (Red Bull)