Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction: The Facts (BBC / David Attenborough)

LDC

On est tous des pangolins
Know this should go in TV probably, but it's much more world politics really.

Absolutely depressing and upsetting watching. Hard not to feel things are really quite irretrievably fucked for the ecology and bio-diversity of the earth.

Last edited:
The explanation of how viruses like Covid-19 are made more likely because of our encroaching on ecosystems was the most important bit to me. The current pandemic is just one aspect of the general environmental crisis - when combined with the floods in China and fires in California now and Australia earlier this year, we get quite an alarming portrait of the urgency of the crisis.

There will be no return to normal. The environmental crisis is here. Even after a vaccine for covid is developed, there will be something else, perhaps another virus, or a refugee crisis caused by flooding / fires / desertification.

Agree. I don't think I can watch it. Having taken on the IPCC report in 2018, alerted by my daughter to it, I got very panicked about it. I have thought about it every day since and experience a lot of dissonance between my comfortable standard of living (water, shelter, food, heat) to think of what will come soon and how to cope with that. And also that many have been experiencing this for years and are increasingly fleeing homelands bc if it . And even in uk, some are experiencing repetitive floods in recent years.

Agree. I don't think I can watch it. Having taken on the IPCC report in 2018, alerted by my daughter to it, I got very panicked about it. I have thought about it every day since and experience a lot of dissonance between my comfortable standard of living (water, shelter, food, heat) to think of what will come soon and how to cope with that. And also that many have been experiencing this for years and are increasingly fleeing homelands bc if it . And even in uk, some are experiencing repetitive floods in recent years.
And repetive bleats from politicians which aren't supported by actions

Totally
I heard about climate change in the early 90s and did some light panicking and adjustment. Thinking it would be later in my life
Now i know its urgent

I wonder if many have just really thought about it in last two years and are imagining it to be more years away (from uk) than it is

I am really concerned about food security as uk plans are very sparse on this (like most of our plans rn)

'Zactly... why depress myself when in all honesty it's their job to work on this. I do what I can but it's on an extremely local, household and personal level, constrained by my money and influence (or lack of).

What's the hope?! I know the mountain gorillas project was good, but how's that an indicator of a global hope?
You have a point, but I took the message that we could still avert the worst of it, if we acted now, and programs like this are likely to affect people's priorities. After all it was a similar program that woke me certainly to plastic in the oceans.

I guess we have to hope that every country has their own "Attenborough" and are showing similar viewing to their populations. [1]

Some of it was just sad and angry making, the last two black rhino, the inshore UK killer whale pod that have been childless for years etc etc .. the destruction of natural forest for unnecessary agriculture etc etc ..

[1] of course it matters little that people in Britain feel for the environment and want change, we got rid of our forests generations ago, we could plant anew though.

I will not watch this as I am already fully aware of the condition of the planet.
After reading the Gaia hypothesis forwarded by James Lovelock and the climate calamities of the last few years, I fear that as a living organism the planet is trying to eradicate the parasites and destroyers. Sadly innocent species suffer too.

I will not watch this as I am already fully aware of the condition of the planet.
After reading the Gaia hypothesis forwarded by James Lovelock and the climate calamities of the last few years, I fear that as a living organism the planet is trying to eradicate the parasites and destroyers. Sadly innocent species suffer too.
it's not trying particularly hard or there wouldn't be such an increase in the human population while so many other species see their populations catastophically decline

Climate change denialism is bad enough without other people over-correcting into nonsense ideas about Gaia's revenge.
I wouldn’t for one second accept the concept that the earth is capable of an emotional reaction like revenge. It’s just chemistry that maintains the balance and sustains life as we know it.

I wouldn’t for one second accept the concept that the earth is capable of an emotional reaction like revenge. It’s just chemistry that maintains the balance and sustains life as we know it.
tbh it's all fucked and those of us who are likely to die before 2050 are likely to thank our lucky stars given what's probably going to come afterwards. bury me on a hill, tho, as i don't suppose my swimming will be any better once i'm dead than it is now.

The notion of balance is not one that maps very well to natural history as we understand it. "Balanced" systems don't produce a series of ices ages of varying intensity ranging from "ooh it's a bit colder these few millennia" all the way to "ice fields nearly reaching the equator". The cycle of supercontinents produces radically different climates depending on how the continents are arranged. Throughout all this paleoclimatic wobbling is the constant background hum of evolution and extinction. Mass extinctions aren't balanced and are not a new phenomenon.

The notion of balance is not one that maps very well to natural history as we understand it. "Balanced" systems don't produce a series of ices ages of varying intensity ranging from "ooh it's a bit colder these few millennia" all the way to "ice fields nearly reaching the equator". The cycle of supercontinents produces radically different climates depending on how the continents are arranged. Throughout all this paleoclimatic wobbling is the constant background hum of evolution and extinction. Mass extinctions aren't balanced and are not a new phenomenon.
Possibly, though I will be long gone before the full effects kick in.

yeh but i still don't want to watch a programme about the mass extinction.

Possibly, though I will be long gone before the full effects kick in.

I think it's reasonable to say that we're already observing the effects of human activity on the climate, in the sense that you don't have to read scientific papers to see it with your own eyes. It certainly seems to me like we get more intense rainfall in the UK than we used to, and the changing of the seasons seem a bit fucked.

I don't think it's a coincidence that outright denialism has become increasingly untenable, hence the ridiculous arguments from fossil fuel lobbyists about how increasing atmospheric CO2 will be good for plant life.

I think it's reasonable to say that we're already observing the effects of human activity on the climate, in the sense that you don't have to read scientific papers to see it with your own eyes. It certainly seems to me like we get more intense rainfall in the UK than we used to, and the changing of the seasons seem a bit fucked.

I don't think it's a coincidence that outright denialism has become increasingly untenable, hence the ridiculous arguments from fossil fuel lobbyists about how increasing atmospheric CO2 will be good for plant life.
added to the list of former people. they can be planted in antarctica so they can see climate change in action.

It’s having read James Lovelock nearly forty years ago and recently rereading his updates, having first seen his work highlighted on Horizon. To see the evidence of the climatic and environmental changes occurring now seems to be a nod towards his hypothesising. His background in chemistry and engineering seems to have won him the confidence of Nasa in the past and I just wonder if what he put forward may have some credence.
But I just hit things with hammers for a living so maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom