Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

FWIW I have had a look about and can't find anything suggesting that which is a relief, it would have been depressing to see her go down that line. She says plenty on Bill Gates, but from an anti-billionaires influence perspective rather than the anti-vax stuff, maybe that's where some of the confusion/concern came in originally.

I see FM's annoyance though. There's a paranoid style on the left in which everyone is likely to betray you or let you down or sell out or flake out, and a resulting hypervigilance that leads to people being smeared through mere implication, or through questions about their soundness based on very little. Thus people dismiss potential allies without really knowing much about them. I'm not saying your question was worse than what lots of other people do, but I think it's something people on the left should be more careful about.
I was in a bad mood last night but yes, this does irritate me an awful lot (obviously more so when I am in a bad mood). I do see it frequently connected with XR too.

Anyway if we're all in agreement now that there isn't a problem here then everything's fine. Apart from the ecosystem being fucked of course.

Very placid so far, the Met letting them protest but with strict rules in place which were stuck to. I met a woman heading to the station yesterday morning with an XR logo on her bag and a flagpole sticking out the top, had a chat, she was not planning on getting nicked and said no one from our town's XR group was planning on getting nicked this time.

AAA.JPG

Brockwell Park XR camp

In photos: Extinction Rebellion camp in Brockwell Park, south London

In photos: Extinction Rebellion camp in Brockwell Park, south London

I gave an XR mate a roasting the other night for re-posting something that was pretty badly worded (in a sentence that appeared to be listing future threats, it went “fires, floods, climate refugees”).

Tone-deaf rather than deliberate in this case, but took too long for me to explain how the rhetoric came over.

Haven’t read much of that libcom article yet, but it chimes with my feelings so far, though some tactics have changed since this was written and are still in flux.

Last edited:
Last evening's C4 news had a significant piece on the XR protests and fair play and all that, but I couldn't help but notice the interview with one activist (from 34.30 if you want to see it) that included this quote in response to the notion that XR was painfully middles class, white and affluent:

...we've got people now organising/mobilising with the working classes

&

...we've got people liaising and connecting up with people of colour groups

Last evening's C4 news had a significant piece on the XR protests and fair play and all that, but I couldn't help but notice the interview with one activist (from 34.30 if you want to see it) that included this quote in response to the notion that XR was painfully middles class, white and affluent:

&

What they lack in non-white non-middle class folk, they make up for in 5G nuts by the sound of things. :(

&

I was actually just gobbing off about this. I suffered a really bad bereavement recently with an awful fallout that everyone in the local community knew about, but because I tend to score highly in intersectional bingo for this area, someone who really should have sent me condolences or help instead sent me a summons to an xr event. Not an invite. A demand that I attend and be involved or watch. Same narcisistic evangelical bollocks I've seen from a lot of other activist groups and not something I'm going anywhere near with a bargepole. I even saw one of the local XR group wandering around the highstreet trying to sell their newspaper a few month back :facepalm:

[edited for clarity]

Last edited:
The helicopter expensively hovering over the relatively tiny gathering of XR campaigners in Parliament Square all day sure seems a massive waste of money. And then there's the vast amount of cops all standing by. What on earth are they expecting?

I was actually just gobbing off about this. I suffered a really bad bereavement recently with an awful fallout that everyone in the local community knew about but because I tend to score highly in intersectional bingo for this area someone who really should have sent me condolences or help instead sent me a summons to an xr event. Not an invite. A demand that I attend and be involved or watch. Same narcisistic evangelical bollocks I've seen from a lot of other activist groups and not something I'm going anywhere near with a bargepole. I even saw one of the local XR group wandering around the highstreet trying to sell their newspaper a few month back :facepalm:
XR have got a newspaper?

They messaged a group I'm involved in asking for help and kit as some people did get involved last year, no real please or thanks.
When they were asked if any of their members would like to help our group they didn't even acknowledge it and asked if we knew anyone with a building/yard/space they could use!

So they are camped out in parliament square?
This one I think

I really feel sorry for those poor people not getting their gutter press today. :D :thumbs:

The presses print the Rupert Murdoch-owned News Corp titles including the Sun, the Times, the Sun on Sunday, the Sunday Times, and the Scottish Sun. They also print the Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph, the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, and the London Evening Standard.

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind. :D

As someone who was involved in picketing Wapping in the 80s, blockading the Murdoch press gets my full support.

This sort of targeting economic action seems like a different approach to what I've been aware of XR doing before, and a positive development, however it eventually turns out.

Back
Top Bottom