Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Exhibition / museum / tings recommendations?

It's been some years since I visited Pollocks Toy museum - must go again!
Some of the toys are a bit spooky if you're in the room on your own!

Ian Visits was at the Sherlock Holmes museum recently, here is his opinion..

I would give it a go for the entertainment but, as he says, it's rather expensive!

The Holmes museum has crossed the radar again is because Mrs Tag has recently had a meeting or two with a leading figure in the Sherlock Holmes Society (but nothing to do with this).

get on with it - it's closing at the end of the year prior to moving to Smithfield

Early April, booked my train ticket already :)

I was prompted by remembering something my Mum had (a badge) was in the museum as part of an exhibit, so I went to look for my mums badge, realised I’ve lost it :( So will go to the museum to look at their badge instead.

Has anyone been to the Bob Marley One Love exhibition at the Saatchi?

horniman museum at forest hill currently has a cats and dogs exhibition

although i expect the walrus is still in residence

Natural-History-Gallery_001-walrus-582x392.jpg

I’m popping to the Museum of London and hopefully the Docklands branch too when I’m next in London. Last went in the year 2000 I think!
The Docklands branch is not closing.
I've not been there yet, it looks a bit of an odd place to get into as per the street level map - seemed you have to walk over a bridge and I have a bit of a phobia about crossing them. Let me know if you go!

I was so relieved when someone told me a way I could get into the Museum of London without going across one of those walkways over the road :D

Has anyone been to the Bob Marley One Love exhibition at the Saatchi?

It looks good but rather expensive I thought so very much doubt I'd go.

I thought the arguments about the Museum of Londons move were still ongoing and was not yet definite and even if they were, it won't be reopening in its new
home for a year or two.

I thought the arguments about the Museum of Londons move were still ongoing and was not yet definite and even if they were, it won't be reopening in its new
home for a year or two.
I think it's been definitely on the cards for some time now. They were doing tours showing people what they were going to do with the space a couple or so years ago and I believe they have also done some preparatory work there?

The Docklands branch is not closing.
I've not been there yet, it looks a bit of an odd place to get into as per the street level map - seemed you have to walk over a bridge and I have a bit of a phobia about crossing them. Let me know if you go!

only if you are trying to get there from Canary Wharf DLR / Jubilee Line (and even then think there's a long way round you could use)

no bridges involved if you walk from West India Quay DLR (ground level image here) - if you're OK with using a DLR station that's up in the air (pretty sure it has lifts as well as stairs)

Alternatively, looks like you can walk through from Westferry Station bus stops although you can't street view all the way through.

My plan is to walk from the M of L main branch to Bank and then get on the DLR. Jubilee back to Waterloo for my train back to the SW

It looks good but rather expensive I thought so very much doubt I'd go.
We went to this. £24 a ticket, but you could then also peruse most of the Saatchi gallery - we seen it as a treat and we spend more on worse iykwim.

It was good tho’, tbf there isn't much to it but there is some great rare photos. Highlight is/was the Capitol Studios session video, we watched the whole ting and it was like being at a gig, the Wailers at their absolute best for me.

I would give it a go for the entertainment but, as he says, it's rather expensive!
Just to say, Pollock's has closed due to some sort of disagreement with the freeholder.

I feel a right mug, because I've worked practically around the corner for years and always thought "Next week, I should visit the Toy Museum" and never did. I thought it would be there forever. :(

thanks...and this in the comments was a great read

ive never been to the museum of london partly i think as i cant work out where it is in that nightmare bit of the City :D but as its closing im going to make an effort
just checked what is on and theres this as a side exhibit
i doubt its amazing but it is about SE London so Ill probably get something out of it
"A free display exploring the central role food plays in Black enterprise and identity in South East London"

ETA: The Barbican one is closed, this is in teh Docklands site

Last edited:
Just to say, Pollock's has closed due to some sort of disagreement with the freeholder.

I feel a right mug, because I've worked practically around the corner for years and always thought "Next week, I should visit the Toy Museum" and never did. I thought it would be there forever. :(
Yes, I heard about that yesterday, very sad.
I didn't get round to visiting again either.

ive never been to the museum of london partly i think as i cant work out where it is in that nightmare bit of the City :D but as its closing im going to make an effort
i doubt its amazing but it is about SE London so Ill probably get something out of it
"A free display exploring the central role food plays in Black enterprise and identity in South East London"

Great museum and I have visited a few times, last time was for the thing on executions.
Enjoy.

The Museum of London is fucking ace, really good bits on social history.

(Am now confused because I thought the London Wall site closed already?)
EDIT: Ah ok that exhibition is at the Docklands site, I've not actually been there although should definitely make an effort soon!

Last edited:
EDIT: Ah ok that exhibition is at the Docklands site, I've not actually been there although should definitely make an effort soon!

would recommend it (i've not been there since before teh plague)

urban outing?

pub afterwards would probably mean choice between somewhere bloody expensive or the wetherspoons next door...

urban outing?

pub afterwards would probably mean choice between somewhere bloody expensive or the wetherspoons next door...

There are a few decent pubs round there, but the Wetherspoons isn't actually bad.

urban outing?

Count me in, no distance from mine and I’ve never been to the Docklands one.

Museum (not Wether’s) that is I’ve never been to, was barred from a few of the pubs down dem ends around the time (early/mid 00’s) Mrs Numbers worked for the Mirror.

Last edited:
This is an excellent idea especially at this time of year when the weather is likely to be lousy, we could do museum followed by East London Drinks nearby.

Need to fit it around Stig's drinks in Feb, but I'm well up for this. I also put my hand up to organise a N London drinks at some point soon too but can do that after.

I don't mind doing the organisy bit, have checked in with Stig about her drinks so once we know a date for that I'm quite happy to start a thread/poll for Feb dates for this unless someone else wants to do that

Back
Top Bottom